ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Rosspbig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

ECU reflash for 2007 Z4 M coupe ?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a reflash available that will disable the 155 MPH speed limiter on a 2007 Z4M coupe?

Ross
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
jmenge
Car addict
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 07 Corvette, 07 Z4M

I know Dyno-Comp sells a flash and claims a +13hp, +12tq increase. I am sure they would be able to get rid of the speed limiter as well. Also, I talked with AA today (about a supercharger setup) and they claim to have tunes for the z4 M as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

Smile First trip to Kelleners-Sport with my M Coupe

I spent the day with the guys at Kelleners-Sport today. I was the first Z4 M that they have had the chance to mess with and in a matter of five hours, I am certainly pleased with the results. This trip was to determine if they could read the DME and if so, what could be done.

Well, attached are the dyno numbers and graphs. Doing the conversion from kW to HP, I baselined at 328.937 HP with a stock car other than the removal of the charcoal filters. Post tune resulted in 342.226 HP or a gain of 13.289 HP. Not bad for five hours of work.

I have plans to drop S54 CSL cams into the engine on my next trip with the CSL airbox and installation of Evosport Headers and race cats. This will complete my engine tuning and I'll then focus on the suspension in time for a nice summer up at the Nordschleife.
Attached Images

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Uhhhh...can I get some of that action?

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Now the other question is when someone will start coming up with some ECU work for the 3.0si... (pretty please).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I spent the day with the guys at Kelleners-Sport today. I was the first Z4 M that they have had the chance to mess with and in a matter of five hours, I am certainly pleased with the results. This trip was to determine if they could read the DME and if so, what could be done.

Well, attached are the dyno numbers and graphs. Doing the conversion from kW to HP, I baselined at 328.937 HP with a stock car other than the removal of the charcoal filters. Post tune resulted in 342.226 HP or a gain of 13.289 HP. Not bad for five hours of work.

I have plans to drop S54 CSL cams into the engine on my next trip with the CSL airbox and installation of Evosport Headers and race cats. This will complete my engine tuning and I'll then focus on the suspension in time for a nice summer up at the Nordschleife.

Do you know what parameters are changed exactly? Is this detectable by the dealership? And how much does this cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep

im looking for some software also. Something like what e46 guys got....D/A software
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Quote:

That's a nice jump. Certainly more than what we managed to prove on the dyno from my map that I had done recently! (though i'm looking to go back there soon for some more tweaks).

Interested to hear about your CSL airbox modifications? Will you be moving to the Alpha-N management, as the CSL works without a MAF, unlike our cars?

I will likely be at the Nurburgring several times this year again, so will look forward to seeing your car there!
      01-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
That's a nice jump. Certainly more than what we managed to prove on the dyno from my map that I had done recently! (though i'm looking to go back there soon for some more tweaks).

Interested to hear about your CSL airbox modifications? Will you be moving to the Alpha-N management, as the CSL works without a MAF, unlike our cars?

I will likely be at the Nurburgring several times this year again, so will look forward to seeing your car there!
His modification = remove

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Now the other question is when someone will start coming up with some ECU work for the 3.0si... (pretty please).
Kelleners already has it. They have a nice package for the 3.0i. Bimmer had a great article about the Kelleners Z4 3.0i Roadster last month. Give them a call and see if there can be something done stateside.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

So, are they done with the software on your M Coupe? Or are you gonna go back again later for some more tweaking? Is this something we can get stateside?

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

ESS has Software for the Z4M done. Here is some info.

performance software for the Z4M. It is $699 and includes about 11hp on the same gas, better response, better midrange, top speed limit removed, slight redline increase, and better startup and cold operation.

Optional choices include cat CEL delete (if a customer removes the cats it will disable the check light function but is still visible to an emissions station to be legal), sport mode button memory, and higher octane fuel modes.

Testing for US cars will be hopefully done this month.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Thanks Rom3n.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post

Kelleners has a software engineer that works VERY CLOSELY with BMW in Munich. They sent my software off via e-mail and roughly 60 minutes later the tune was back in their in-box and subsequently in my car. I have a US spec'd car as well.

I will be doing the Alpha-n intake. They feel pretty good about getting it to work with my processor, so we're going to give it a shot. Schrick CSL cams for intake (288 degree duration) and Schrick cams for the exhaust, Evosport headers and cats should wrap up the engine tuning. We were going to stroke the engine to 3.4 liters, but the guy who did the connecting rods is not around anymore (maybe deceased--not sure) so I'll stop with that. I think with the RPI scoop coupled with the Alpha-n intake will be a good combination--time will tell.

After the engine, I'm looking at some custom Bilstein PSS10's if we can make them work. If not, I might resort to some stuff TCKline makes, but Pete has been blowing my e-mails off. Oh well--less money for them and more for Kelleners...

I still haven't decided on wheels. I want to stick with 18 inches, but I need to check with Stoptech to see if their stuff will fit inside whatever wheels I decide upon since I'll eventually hit the brake department once I hit a shorter track (Hockenheim).

I'll keep you guys posted.

David Brent

Last edited by RussRamz; 01-22-2008 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
karmasabish
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

what has been done to your car prior to the dyno?? Are your numbers at the wheels or at the crank?

thanks for this, keep us updated on your progress!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Any word on pricing for the remap?

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post
what has been done to your car prior to the dyno?? Are your numbers at the wheels or at the crank?

The only thing that was done to the engine was the removal of the charcoal filter, but since only us poor chaps in the USA get them, the europeans can skip the step. The car was US Spec'd stock.

The cost of the chiptuning is 1,800 Euro and it works on both the US and Euro spec cars.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasabish View Post

Crank. If you need a translation of numbers on the legend, I might consider it if I get really bored. You can probably figure it out yourself with a German-English technical dictionary.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that was done to the engine was the removal of the charcoal filter, but since only us poor chaps in the USA get them, the europeans can skip the step. The car was US Spec'd stock.

The cost of the chiptuning is 1,800 Euro and it works on both the US and Euro spec cars.
Damn...at a conversion rate of .69...that's $2608!!!!

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Kelleners has a software engineer that works VERY CLOSELY with BMW in Munich. They sent my software off via e-mail and roughly 60 minutes later the tune was back in their in-box and subsequently in my car. I have a US spec'd car as well.
Interesting! My dyno tuner also used a guy in Germany, and the process worked exactly the same way. They were rather coy about giving the details out, but I wonder if they're not using the same people...

Quote:
I will be doing the Alpha-n intake. They feel pretty good about getting it to work with my processor, so we're going to give it a shot. Schrick CSL cams for intake (288 degree duration) and Schrick cams for the exhaust, Evosport headers and cats should wrap up the engine tuning. We were going to stroke the engine to 3.4 liters, but the guy who did the connecting rods is not around anymore (maybe deceased--not sure) so I'll stop with that. I think with the RPI scoop coupled with the Alpha-n intake will be a good combination--time will tell.
Sounds fantastic!! I'm not going down the serious engine modification route just yet, as I'd like to keep my warranty intact (well it's the main reason for suffering the depreciation of a new car!). In 3 years time though, I'll be definately interested in following suit, or going with some means of FI. Will be interested to see how it all pans out, especially the Alpha-N modification..

Quote:
After the engine, I'm looking at some custom Bilstein PSS10's if we can make them work. If not, I might resort to some stuff TCKline makes, but Pete has been blowing my e-mails off. Oh well--less money for them and more for Kelleners...
Strange. I had no problems getting in contact with TCK from here in the UK. But like you say, if they don't want your money.... I've heard mixed views about the TCK Koni setup anyway (if that was the kit you were referring too), and you can't go wrong with Bilsteins. I've ridden in a couple of cars with PSS9 kits, and they are a fantastic bit of kit. Suspension is next on my modification list, and I'm currently trying to find as much information as I can about all the options (not too easy!) I guess if you get the PSS10s developed, they'll be available for resale after?
      01-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

1,800 Euro!! Wow. As much ask I like this modification, for that price I'm out. The most I would ever pay for a mod like this, where the stock ecu is reprogrammed without removing it, would be $500.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #22
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
1,800 Euro!! Wow. As much ask I like this modification, for that price I'm out. The most I would ever pay for a mod like this, where the stock ecu is reprogrammed without removing it, would be $500.
The ECU was removed. I was in the shop when they removed it and had it opened up to read numbers off several chips. The information was relayed to the guy over the phone and a few minutes later the information was received. I'm pretty sure Kelleners used the same data file they have for the E46 M3 modified for the DME in our cars.

As for the price--I know it's a lot, but I've paid for work that will be done at a later time as well (Alpha-n programming for the airbox).

David Brent
Appreciate 0