E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Fuel Pump Problem

12-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
jaserion
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Onsh'mo...

Fuel Pump Problem

Just wondering if anyone recently picked up his/her delivery for 2008 335i or xi and has the fuel pump porblem. It's apparent that the fuel pump problem has been known for quite some time and still exists today for 2008 model. I, myself, picked up my 335xi on 11-30-07, and have been back to the dealer every week. And the SA is refusing to check my fuel pump even though I've told him relentlessly and he kept on running diagnostic tests on the engine. Please help how I can go about solving this. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

well your car should qualify for a lemon law. get bmw NA involved.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

I haven't had any problems with my 08 so far, thankfully. Sorry to hear things have taken that turn for you. Hopefully everything works out.
      12-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

what dealer is this? hopefully I won't have this problem on my 335 being built now....and if so hopefully it's not the dealer i bought my car from.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

I got my fuel pump replaced once... still have intermittent long crank issues... will take it to the dealer early jan
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
I got my fuel pump replaced once... still have intermittent long crank issues... will take it to the dealer early jan
I have 9 bmws that I have gone through and in the winter months this is normal. They ALL had this.
      12-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaserion View Post
Just wondering if anyone recently picked up his/her delivery for 2008 335i or xi and has the fuel pump porblem. It's apparent that the fuel pump problem has been known for quite some time and still exists today for 2008 model. I, myself, picked up my 335xi on 11-30-07, and have been back to the dealer every week. And the SA is refusing to check my fuel pump even though I've told him relentlessly and he kept on running diagnostic tests on the engine. Please help how I can go about solving this. Much appreciated.
Just wondering, how do you know you have a bad HPFP???

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Vikingus
Nothing to see here folks
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post

good question, if they ran diagnostic I'm sure something would show up. When I took my car to the dealer I told them to check the fuel pump because I thought it was going bad and they called me the second day telling me that I was right.

I hope they didn't lie to you about running diagnostics. Maybe you should go somewhere else for a second opinion.
      12-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
jaserion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post

after researching and reading all the signs and symptoms from these sites. i concluded that it was fuel pump issue. maybe it's not, but why they can just check it out.

this was how it went. the 1st time it happened was when it had 196 miles. i was driving normally to work during 50ish mph and then i stepped on the gas and changed lane. all of the sudden, i heard the chime from the nav. and an error of "engine malfunction: reduced power!" showed up. i brought it the dealer that morning. they said that they couldnt find anything after running diagnostic tests. they reset the "software" so the error went away. then the 2nd time, it happened was when it had 290-something miles on it. again, i was entering the highway. stepped on the gas, and then that error showed up again. i brought the dealer immediately that afternoon. again, nothing came out of that. they reset the software. then they scheduled for me to drop the car for full day service. and so i did. after that they told me that there was some dinged hose. they fixed that and i hoped that would fix the problem. finally, it happened this past saturday at 500 something miles, i was again trying to change lane. stepped the gas and there that error again. if it's not the fuel pump, what else could it be? anyway, the car is the dealer for 1 day now. i hope they'll do something about it. i dont want to enact the lemon law. i really like my car. the 06 325i that i traded in was flawless. just changed tires and drove it like a champ. this 335xi coupe is giving me such a headache. anyway, if you guys think that it might something else. please do advise. thanks in advance.

edit 1: forgot to mention that each time this happened. the car rode like it was literally 1/2 the power. any attempt on the gas, it wouldn't not accelerate. it feels really sluggish.

Last edited by jaserion; 12-18-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330 View Post
I have 9 bmws that I have gone through and in the winter months this is normal. They ALL had this.
not a temperature problem... car is garaged in 70 degree garage...
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
fizzle
United_States
Rep

hmm very odd. yea ALL cars have problems in the cold starting up. but if u have a 70 degree garage, then i guess its not that.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Chunli744
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe alpine white

Quote:
after researching and reading all the signs and symptoms from these sites. i concluded that it was fuel pump issue. maybe it's not, but why they can just check it out.

this was how it went. the 1st time it happened was when it had 196 miles. i was driving normally to work during 50ish mph and then i stepped on the gas and changed lane. all of the sudden, i heard the chime from the nav. and an error of "engine malfunction: reduced power!" showed up. i brought it the dealer that morning. they said that they couldnt find anything after running diagnostic tests. they reset the "software" so the error went away. then the 2nd time, it happened was when it had 290-something miles on it. again, i was entering the highway. stepped on the gas, and then that error showed up again. i brought the dealer immediately that afternoon. again, nothing came out of that. they reset the software. then they scheduled for me to drop the car for full day service. and so i did. after that they told me that there was some dinged hose. they fixed that and i hoped that would fix the problem. finally, it happened this past saturday at 500 something miles, i was again trying to change lane. stepped the gas and there that error again. if it's not the fuel pump, what else could it be? anyway, the car is the dealer for 1 day now. i hope they'll do something about it. i dont want to enact the lemon law. i really like my car. the 06 325i that i traded in was flawless. just changed tires and drove it like a champ. this 335xi coupe is giving me such a headache. anyway, if you guys think that it might something else. please do advise. thanks in advance.

edit 1: forgot to mention that each time this happened. the car rode like it was literally 1/2 the power. any attempt on the gas, it wouldn't not accelerate. it feels really sluggish.
I just got my 2008 335i coupe literally 6 days ago and the same thing happened to me! All of a sudden I received the same message on my Navi. I took it into the dealership this morning so hopefully it gets taken care of and this doesn't happen ever again. I'll keep you posted on what they tell me. And if you have any advice for me as well, please share. There's just no excuse for a new car to do this... especially for the price we pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I had my HPFP replaced, I didn't have the symptoms that you have though. My car never went into limp mode (reduced power). The reason why I knew I had a bad HPFP was because when I started the car, it will crank a couple of times before the engine starts. Usually, I would just press the start button and the car would start right away. After the engine started, the car ran just fine, even at WOT. For some reason I don't think you have a bad HPFP. But I am curious to know what is going on. It seems like Chunli744 also has this problem.

Let us know what the dealer says.

GL!

Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Chunli744
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe alpine white

Quote:
** the same post was posted on another thread, but I thought I'd share my results here as well**

Okay so I have an update...

It was the infamous fuel pump! NOOOOO! I've become another statistic! At least we figured out the problem. Thank goodness for this forum, otherwise I would have never known of this problem. I was actually the one who told the Service Advisor to check the fuel pump just in case (Since you said yours refused to check yours). He called me back and was like... "wow. how did you know about this problem?" He sounded sort of surprised, so I'm actually surprised he sounded surprised being that this sounds like a reoccuring problem.

In any case... it's being fixed today and I should have my baby back in 4 hours! WHOO-HOO!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Bimmer335i07
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunli744 View Post
** the same post was posted on another thread, but I thought I'd share my results here as well**

It was the infamous fuel pump! NOOOOO! I've become another statistic! At least we figured out the problem. Thank goodness for this forum, otherwise I would have never known of this problem. I was actually the one who told the Service Advisor to check the fuel pump just in case (Since you said yours refused to check yours). He called me back and was like... "wow. how did you know about this problem?" He sounded sort of surprised, so I'm actually surprised he sounded surprised being that this sounds like a reoccuring problem.

In any case... it's being fixed today and I should have my baby back in 4 hours! WHOO-HOO!
Congrats!

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #16
jaserion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunli744 View Post

i spoke to him this afternoon and he said something, which i didnt hear it clearly. it was promised that the part will be delivered tomorrow's AM. at this point, i'm just crossing my fingers that they will eventually check the fuel pump. i even told them that i dont want to tell them what to do, but insisted that they check the fuel pump.

anyway, congrats. i'll update this thread as it comes. wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Jaserion...what dealership is this?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #18
jaserion
Captain
Rep

turbo - i do want to maintain my cordially relationship with this dealer so my apologies for not announcing their name. they have been accomodating except for refusing to check the fuel pump.

=/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Vikingus
Nothing to see here folks
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
i spoke to him this afternoon and he said something, which i didnt hear it clearly. it was promised that the part will be delivered tomorrow's AM. at this point, i'm just crossing my fingers that they will eventually check the fuel pump. i even told them that i dont want to tell them what to do, but insisted that they check the fuel pump.

anyway, congrats. i'll update this thread as it comes. wish me luck.
I think he said bad fuel pump because, from what my dealer told me when I had my FP replaced, this is one of very few parts that they have to order first.
      12-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #20
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
turbo - i do want to maintain my cordially relationship with this dealer so my apologies for not announcing their name. they have been accomodating except for refusing to check the fuel pump.

=/

What difference does it make? If a dealership is willing to work with the customer we post their names, why wouldn't we for the opposite?

I think its ridiculous that there is still the problem with the HPFP. After going thru the issue with my first 335 (BMW bought that bitch back) I would hate to have to go thru it again w/ my new one, which ::knock on wood:: has twice as many miles as the last one and not one extended crank. Cold or warm.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #21
jaserion
Captain
Rep

at this point, i have nothing left to do but to laugh at this whole situation. so i didnt get my car back today because the dealer want to run it 1 more day to see if they can duplicate the error. they also want to ride with me tomorrow and see if i can duplicate it. this will be interesting to say the least.

anyway, they, again, didnt replace the fuel pump. they instead replaced 2 things that the engineer recommended. he said something that sounded like "sa-li-nos". lol. i know that i butchered that spelling.

really, this is so funny maybe because i wanted to hear that they replaced the fuel pump.

lastly, does anyone know if the car onboard computer will store the errors for the fuel problem? because this was how they're going about fixing my problem.

again, wish me ALOT of luck. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #22
fizzle
United_States
Rep

solenoid?
Appreciate 0