E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 or Cobb None worked for me

08-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Mineral White Metall

JB4 or Cobb None worked for me

So just like everyone I was excited and bought a vrsf charge pipe, vrsf downpipes and went on to have the shop install both. Given the shop had a JB4 stage 2, I was like oh well why NOT. Parts install was great then problems began.
The Jb4/DME kept resetting and would not work. One of the shop members emailed Terry who went on to say that its possible with the earlier builds June 2010. So I gave up
Week later an awesome member sold me his AP_002 and am all excited then as luck would have it I have the dreaded Old ROM 9780B.
So now I have a chargepipe , downpipe two tunes that aren't working. I cleared the DP error though..
Next I head off to the dealer tab for n55 DME update tsb report in hand drop it off. Come back oh you have an after market downpipe which they knew about before and we can't update it with that. ( I know I shud have taken it off it is getting expensive on and off, but how can that affect a ROM update)..
So now what, maybe all just stick with cosmetic mods. Unless I can put my stock downpipe back and try the dealer again
That's it what would you do
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Pay them to do the DME update. Probably cheaper than taking the DP off and putting it on again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Have you checked with BMS to see if they would do an upgrade, of course $$$ will change hands ?

I've been researching the Cobb AP and the bad ROMs: The reasoning for the dealership wanting the stock DP re-installed prior to the flashing is really the missing Cat. The car will throw codes without the Cat and it would leave them in a predicament. How do they return the car to you (with the Catless DP) if it's throwing codes ?

I've been going back and forth on what to do to my 2011, N55 E90. I finally decided on Cobb V3, 5" stepped VRSF FMIC and VRSF Charge Pipe. I've seen enough threads on the Catless DPs stressing the stock waste gate, to hold off on any mods after the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
Pay them to do the DME update. Probably cheaper than taking the DP off and putting it on again.
They actually wouldn't even let me pay for it
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGCubana View Post
Have you checked with BMS to see if they would do an upgrade, of course $$$ will change hands ?

I've been researching the Cobb AP and the bad ROMs: The reasoning for the dealership wanting the stock DP re-installed prior to the flashing is really the missing Cat. The car will throw codes without the Cat and it would leave them in a predicament. How do they return the car to you (with the Catless DP) if it's throwing codes ?

I've been going back and forth on what to do to my 2011, N55 E90. I finally decided on Cobb V3, 5" stepped VRSF FMIC and VRSF Charge Pipe. I've seen enough threads on the Catless DPs stressing the stock waste gate, to hold off on any mods after the turbo.
This makes total sense. From my experience, get the tune first and then add the mods because you won't catch the DME issue until after Cobb install. Funny thing the Cobb can clear the codes even without being installed
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFASA1 View Post
So just like everyone I was excited and bought a vrsf charge pipe, vrsf downpipes and went on to have the shop install both. Given the shop had a JB4 stage 2, I was like oh well why NOT. Parts install was great then problems began.
The Jb4/DME kept resetting and would not work. One of the shop members emailed Terry who went on to say that its possible with the earlier builds June 2010. So I gave up
Week later an awesome member sold me his AP_002 and am all excited then as luck would have it I have the dreaded Old ROM 9780B.
So now I have a chargepipe , downpipe two tunes that aren't working. I cleared the DP error though..
Next I head off to the dealer tab for n55 DME update tsb report in hand drop it off. Come back oh you have an after market downpipe which they knew about before and we can't update it with that. ( I know I shud have taken it off it is getting expensive on and off, but how can that affect a ROM update)..
So now what, maybe all just stick with cosmetic mods. Unless I can put my stock downpipe back and try the dealer again
That's it what would you do

Remove the dp and have the DME updated. This is something that you accepted when you installed the dp. You have to pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFASA1 View Post
I know I should have taken it off it is getting expensive on and off, but how can that affect a ROM update)..
JB4 and Cobb AP can be easily removed before taking the car to the dealer. Take the DP off and go to another dealer and get your DME updated.

You might also try going to a garage that specializes in BMW and that can update your DME - ask around.

You could always sell the Cobb and buy a new (or used) JB4. The JB4 does work.
      08-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
MUFASA1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
JB4 and Cobb AP can be easily removed before taking the car to the dealer. Take the DP off and go to another dealer and get your DME updated.

You might also try going to a garage that specializes in BMW and that can update your DME - ask around.

You could always sell the Cobb and buy a new (or used) JB4. The JB4 does work.
The JB4 didnt work when installed hence my dilemma. AM taking the DP off tomorrow
Appreciate 0