E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Boost pressure and ambient temperatures

12-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Boost pressure and ambient temperatures

Hi,

Does boost pressure raise with ambient temperatures. Concrete, if a PROcede V2 user now sets user torque settings for a 15psi tune ( 94% ), will this user see more than 15psi on hot summerdays ?

Or is it the other way round. Colder ambient temps, more boost. This would be logical, because the air is more dense. The question is what does the ECU / PROcede V2.

Thanks,
Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 12-15-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

I thought about that too... I had a 3rd gen tt RX-7. When it was cold out, my boost would go way up. Blew a motor that way.........
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

OH so if we are seeing boost of 15 during winter, summer it will be significantly less....If thats the case i guess there has to be a winter/ summer torque value adjustment!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Not quite. We've mapped the boost table to be somewhat self corrective below a certain User TQ value. Meaning that it will harder to induce boost pressures over 15psi even ambient temps were to increase significantly. Not something I've mentioned because I don't want people arbitrarily jacking up the numbers and thinking that they wont run any more than 15psi.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

So, if ambient temp is high, say 90, you will see higher boost than at 50 degrees?

I remember seeing the opposite with my RX-7.....

If boost pressure is higher at higher ambient temps, why is the car faster when the weather is cool?

I suppose when I get my v2, I should set the TQ in warm/hot weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
So, if ambient temp is high, say 90, you will see higher boost than at 50 degrees?

If boost pressure is higher at higher ambient temps, why is the car faster when the weather is cool?

I believe that is correct....Shiv explained it in another thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Here you go..... (see I listen to you Shiv..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

What does all this stuff mean?
That the factory ECU is a lot smarter than we give it credit for with regards to controlling power output. It also means not to get so hung up on boost pressure. Yes, monitor it. Either through a boost gauge or through tuning software (if available). But realize that it does not equal engine load which is the real determinator of how much work an engine is doing. Boost will change as a function of charge air temp. Which means:

1) That during a 1st to 4th gear run, you will see more slightly boost in 4th gear than you see in 3rd. Slightly more in 3rd that you see in 2nd. And more in 2nd than you saw in 1st (ignoring throttle closure caused by traction control of course).

2) On hot days, you will see more boost than you do during cool nights.

3) That a good intercooler upgrade will actually lower your boost pressures based upon its ability to cool the air better.

4) If you idle your car for a while (which will increase charge temps due to intercooler heatsoak, heat saturation of ic pipes, etc,.) you will see more boost when you immediately take off and begin a run. Conversely, if you are cruising alone the highway for a while (intercooler and piping is nice and cool), you will see slightly less boost than normal when you jump the throttle. Boost pressure will then rise, during the run, as things get hotter and intake charge increases.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

yep.. the 3rd gen RX-7s ecu doesn't do what the BMW ecu does. It's no coincidence those cars are ticking time bombs. I had one, went through a couple of motors, sold it, bought a WRX and never looked back

Unlike the BMW, the RX-7 didn't lower boost pressures are air density went up (to compensate for the mass airflow reduction). In fact, it effectively did the opposite which caused the car to run nearly a full point leaner. Combined with hot temps which reduced knock resistance, and the tendency of boost pressures to spike during single to dual turbo transition, the engines went BOOM. Of course, having a fragile engine that wouldn't take even one solid ping didn't help matters either. Great car. Crummy motor.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
I thought about that too... I had a 3rd gen tt RX-7. When it was cold out, my boost would go way up. Blew a motor that way.........
sorry to hear that... but our cars are pretty smart correct? the ecu will not allow overboost that would cause engine failure correct ? (unless your ecu tune screw up).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
yep.. the 3rd gen RX-7s ecu doesn't do what the BMW ecu does. It's no coincidence those cars are ticking time bombs. I had one, went through a couple of motors, sold it, bought a WRX and never looked back

Unlike the BMW, the RX-7 didn't lower boost pressures are air density went up (to compensate for the mass airflow reduction). In fact, it effectively did the opposite which caused the car to run nearly a full point leaner. Combined with hot temps which reduced knock resistance, the engines went BOOM. Of course, having a fragile engine that wouldn't take even one solid ping didn't help matters either.
I also went through 2 13B-REW engines (and 1 set of turbos) on my '93 RX-7 (back in '95). First BOOM was due to apex seals going out - probably a knock event. Not very robust mechanically. 2nd BOOM was caused by water flooding into engine due to heat-weakened O ring. Those engines could last as little as 60K mi., completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Smile

Thanks! Makes more sense now.
Appreciate 0