E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.

07-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Best XM radio for clean install? Already have sat prep.

I have sat prep but do not want to pay 150.00+ for the module. Especially when XM 2.0 is around the corner which the bmw module will not support.

What is the cleanest install for aftermarket? I was thinking of putting the tuner in the trunk where the antenna cable runs in. The the head unit in the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Might not be worth it?

Since I noticed you posted in the Dynavin thread, maybe consider saving up for one of those? And maybe go with something like streaming Spotify or Pandora from your smartphone into a Bluetooth unit that plugs into the Aux port?

I like the choices with Satellite (I have that in my car), but I don't like the sound quality so much. The Bluetooth enables a bit better quality, but the aux port kinda ruins it a bit. However, it still sounds better than what I get out of Satellite, so take that as you will.
I already have idrive I cant add another headunit. Or if I could it will look kinda stupid.

I only have 1gb data and the places I drive are spoty because my service sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
I have an old sirus tuner here for free already. If I add the turner can I change the display unit at a later date?
Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had iDrive.

In that case, I believe that Dynavin may have a custom solution for you in the near future?

You'd have to get with Jeff about that one though.

Ask around, I don't recall how easy that one is to integrate with your particular system. It might require some recoding, but I could be wrong about that.
I am not trying to integrate it into the idrive. I am just trying to drop the display somewhere clean looking
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Oh, you mean those store bought tuners? Maybe try finding something that lets you hide it in the ashtray compartment?

When you said you had Sat prep, I thought you meant you had the BMW Sirius Sat Tuner. In that case, it doesn't even matter if you have Sat prep.
SAT prep gives you sat antenna in the shark fin which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I'm wondering the same thing....

I really want an integrated audio setup...but don't want to spend a ton. Do they still even make SiriusXM units that work with SAT prep?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderhaar
I really want an integrated audio setup...but don't want to spend a ton. Do they still even make SiriusXM units that work with SAT prep?
Depending on model year separate allows you to simply activate the already present tonight or in the OEM head unit or I drive

Edit, supper it was supposed to say satellite prep I am trying to post using Siri
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Depending on model year separate allows you to simply activate the already present tonight or in the OEM head unit or I drive

Edit, supper it was supposed to say satellite prep I am trying to post using Siri
might not want to try that again! Leave siri out of it, she obviously doesn't know anything about satellite radio!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
bvanderhaar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post

It seems like these are later models? I'm in a 03/2008 build date 328xi.

Also - I've found posts from 2006 mentioning something called XM direct that can directly connect to the BMW's interface. Does anyone have up to date information about aftermarket options? Does this still use the factory HU to control the radio?

I'm really comfortable installing a radio unit myself and coding it. Just really wanting some more audio that integrates with the factory HU.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
EZ3Putt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Cab.

Try a Google search for TSS-radio. They used to have these parts. Not sure if they still have them for this age of car. Worth a try
Appreciate 0