E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Oil Cooler

12-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

Dinan Oil Cooler

Here are some pics and write up's

High Capacity Oil Cooler for 335 Models!
It’s no secret among 335 owners that while the cars perform admirably, they tend to run a bit on the warm side. This appears to be true even with the cars equipped with the factory oil cooler; and in case you weren’t aware, not all 335s came with an oil cooler at all!

For those who drive the cars in a spirited fashion on a regular basis, this issue is even more pronounced. While this is certainly a concern in stock form, it becomes even more of an issue when you consider increasing boost pressure, which in addition to added power output also generates more heat. And when you back your products with matching new car warranty coverage, including consequential damages, you tend to be a bit more concerned about the real world ramifications of increased turbo boost pressure on the car as a whole.

Recognizing the significance of this issue, Dinan set out to develop a more efficient heat exchanger, ultimately in the form of a High Capacity Oil Cooler. Two complete systems have been developed, one for vehicles that weren’t equipped with a factory oil cooler and the other as an upgrade for the stock unit. Now every 335 driver has the opportunity to lower operating temperatures significantly, providing peace of mind as well as avoiding that notorious “limp” mode when things get simply too hot.

The Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler provides literally twice the volume of the stock unit, as well as 414 sq./in. of cooling tube vs. 112.5, and that’s really just the beginning. Nicely integrated inlet ducting provides greater airflow efficiencies and the ventilation of air to the fender well has also been improved with a larger outlet. The system mounts neatly in the stock location and includes lightweight convoluted PTFE hoses with polyester outer braid fitted with race-quality fittings. For cars that were not equipped with the factory oil cooler, kits are available that include all of the additional parts necessary for the installation.

The results of the oil cooler upgrade are quite significant, with the temperature gauge holding steady even under high load/high boost scenarios. And for those of you who track their cars, even occasionally, the Dinan oil cooler is a must.

Specifications

Total Volume: Stock = 9.5 oz. / Dinan = 19 oz.
Surface Area: Stock = 45 sq./in. / Dinan = 67.5 sq./in.
Cooling Tubes: Stock = 10 / Dinan = 23
Tube Lengths: Stock = 90 in. / Dinan = 207 in.
Tube Area: Stock = 112.5 sq./in. / Dinan = 414 sq./in.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

how much is the dinan oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
luckyD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

how do i find out witch 335 has oil cooler and witch one dosent?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyD View Post
how do i find out witch 335 has oil cooler and witch one dosent?
Look at your passenger side front wheel well and see if you have louvers there. If your car has the cooler, you'll see slot openings of louvers.
      12-15-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGOO7 View Post
how much is the dinan oil cooler
2299 for cars w/o factory cooler, with cooler is 1999.... way Dinan style overpriced,
      12-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Robmaster
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i

sry, but that's a damn high price!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmaster View Post
sry, but that's a damn high price!
It might be worth while for those that does not have a factory oiler and are not eligible for the factory retrofit (like me, non-ZSP E90 335xi). However, if you already have an oil cooler from factory, it is wiser to go for the AA FMIC upgrade instead.
      12-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I'd say highly worth it for someone with no intercooler at all... that is unless, of course, you might be able to just get the factory BMW setup for less than that?

I can't believe they charge 2000 bucks for just the cooler itself for owners who already have the factory oil cooler. I would've thought that 1000 bucks would be plenty for this... it IS an improvement, though. I am sure it would lead to a significant reduction in normal oil temps.
Appreciate 0