E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intercooler and RissRacing DP's w/ or w/o chip?

12-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1

Intercooler and RissRacing DP's w/ or w/o chip?

I want to be smooth and proper with ample power and a perfect daily driver. I do not want to have MAJOR warranty issues with BMW just in case something decides to go wrong.
I do want my car to be able to adapt to the DP's and intercooler w/o throwing any cel's or the likes. And being in Cali, I will have to pass emissions.
From my calculations, DP's and FMIC will add approx. 40RWHP and major turbo efficiency. I need that sound that the Riss DP's project and my exhaust will be complete.
A chip/piggyback is an option, but with the FMIC and DP's I'll be making way more power than I'd like to be driving w/o an LSD, so wherever do I stop?
Food for thought please.
aaron
      12-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would say stick with the JB2 as your only mod, maybe a drop in filter. No warranty or smog hassle, a stock appearing car, with a lot more umph.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
tryangles
LA Native
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
I would say stick with the JB2 as your only mod, maybe a drop in filter. No warranty or smog hassle, a stock appearing car, with a lot more umph.
+1

This is the same route I am taking very very soon. However for your needs maybe the JB Stage 1 will even be enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
Offering your own product as the solution... that's the response I would expect from a sponsor.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

To be blatently honest here, since you want just a daily driver, but seem to be concerned about warranty issues and service...
I wouldn't put on catless DP's then.

Not only are they smog illegal, but some (maybe majority) of dealers will see that as a modded powertrain.
Most will let you have exhaust on the cars without any problem, but DP's (especially catless ones) are another story, and for the environmentalists in the world, they are a big no-no.

I would get the Turbo Tuner.
It has the power gains you are looking for, but the most easy installation and removal (by far) of any of the piggybacks.
If you need to take your car in (or you like to take it in for routine service or for any little thing you think is wrong with the car) the Turbo Tuner will come out in a matter of a minute (or two if you take your time so you don't snap the clip).

You get a nice healthy 35-40 rwhp boost and probably 50 rwtq gain.

Add the drop in filter for a bit better breathing and another 3-4 rwhp and you'll be good to go.

I love the power of the PROcede and it's user adjustable settings.
The PROcede makes the most power on 91 or 93 Octane of all the 3 leading contenders (PROcede, TT, JB2), but you pay for it's advanced features and power abilities and takes a minimum of 45 minutes to install and remove for the average Joe.
For the person who wants the most power on pump gas and the ability to dial in the car's performance to your liking, it is the only one to have.
The JB2 is a nice piece too. Makes very similiar power gains to the PROcede v1.47 (but 20-30 lbs-ft less torque) for quite a bit less money. Has been very reliable and makes for a nice running car.
But like the PROcede, the JB2 takes similiar time to install and requires you to go into the ECU compartment to do it, so again, like the PROcede it's not the most friendly (time and convienence wise) piggyback if you go in for service.

The Turbo Tuner is a bit more expensive than the JB2, makes similiar power to the JB2, but the ease of install and removal make it the choice for people like you who seem to not want the most power, but don't want any hassles when going in for service. It takes less time to to remove the Turbo Tuner than it does to check the air pressure in your tires.

Oh, and unless you are going to a road course on a regular basis, you don't need an upgraded FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Offering your own product as the solution... that's the response I would expect from a sponsor.
Which brings up a question... when is e90post going to let Burger Motorsports be a sponsor I wonder...
      12-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Which brings up a question... when is e90post going to let Burger Motorsports be a sponsor I wonder...
+1!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep

All great feedback, but that sound of the Riss DP's is lethal. The JB2 is a definate consideration, but doesn't produce that intoxicating sound I crave. My driving experience is just that, an EXPERIENCE. I enjoy everything from the feel of the wheel, the sound of my engine/turbos, and the cruelty of the g-force front to back and side to side.
Driver72 you have a very valid point and I've considered that extensively.
Terry, since you're in SoCal and I'm new to the west coast, you (or someone else) could elaborate more on the state's emissions procedures involving DP's.
thanks bretheren,
aaron
      12-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Do you have a coupe or sedan?

If a coupe, just do the exhaust butterfly valve mod.
It holds open the butterfly valve in the left exhaust full time.
The coupe does not have the sedans resonators either, so it has a more aggressive sound.

But if you love the sound of the DP's then you can't replicate that without getting catless DP's.

As for the emissions.
Well in California, you don't have to smog test your car until it's 5 years old.
Will it pass the emissions with catless DP's on and the 2nd cats intact?

Nobody can tell for sure, but if the car is inspected, then it will fail.
On top of that, I think the fine is pretty steep (like several thousands of dollars)
DP's are not easy to see, but still.

If you are not going to keep your car for more than 5 years, you have very little to worry about in that regard.

But then there is still the warranty issue.

Anonomuysly (sp) call a couple local BMW dealers and ask to talk to the lead Service Advisor.
Tell him that you are considering putting catless Downpipes on your otherwise stock car for better breathing and turbo spool up...and the cool sounds it makes.
Ask them if there would be any problems warranty wise on your car if you had them on or if they do not affect the powertrain warranty should something go wrong with the car.

See what they say.

Personally they should NOT, as they don't put more power INTO the engine, just let the engine breath better on the exhaust side of things.

They will for sure void your emissions related warranty though.
I think that's like 7 years/70K miles in the state of California.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
It sounds like your goal is around 400hp....
im assuming this isnt a lease.
I would get Dp's, intake and the PROcede...
i dont think you will need an FMIC for just daily driving (not just yet atleast)
the reason i say go w/ the PROcede is bc you can log your boost levels w/o
having a boost guage in your dealers face

GL
      12-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Archibald Donnington
Lieutenant
Rep

Called a dealer and spoke with the foreman. He mentioned that the DP's would (as we all knew) interfere with the o2 sensors and throw CEL's. They "most probably," would have a negative affect in regards to the warranty. What a bum! I'll stay-a-lookin on the forum for other possible options for the DP's.
Thanks again Driver72 for the insight.
jmramos44, if I didn't get the DP's a procede/JB2 would most likely be my next consideration next to the DINAN tune pending reliability issues on both.
If anyone else has feedback, please chime in.
aaron
      12-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
335i4u2nv
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i e9O sL0w

i say trade it in for the new M3 or a M5 lol idk its hard to mod and car and it be dealer and enviroment friendly
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

I will use exactly this setup for my daily driver. RISS catted downpipes and the Spearco FMIC. It will be good for the turbos and the temperatures. Whether I will use the PROcede V2 or the JB2 is open until I got the DP's and have them installed. Both are very good ECU-tunings.

M3: I had the e46 M3 already and it has been a great car, just a tick too tracky for me. I prefer a quick 335i, steptronic and active steering .
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Yea, I did a different route ... I went from the DP's with a bolt on exhaust, RPi IC and a turbo tuner, and I'm very happy with the results.

I would get an exhaust before the DP's if you are worried about warranty work.

The first line is the base, the next one is with the exhaust, the one following is the Turbo Tuner, and the final one is with the RPi intercooler.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #15
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
that is very true.

on another note:
i agree 100% with driver72. sounds like you need a Turbo Tuner for your style.
      12-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Forget the DPs. Get a Quaife LSD, rear sway, exhaust, and Dinan flash (if warranty is an issue).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Forget the DPs. Get a Quaife LSD, rear sway, exhaust, and Dinan flash (if warranty is an issue).
ive been wondering how good a setup like this would be for track days.

rear sway
suspension
catback exhaust
dinan flash
dinan oil cooler
FMIC upgrade
LSD
ps2's or etc.

power,grip, cooling necessary for a solid track day.
i might be heading this route later within the next few years if i can get my hands on a e92 m3
      12-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Donnington View Post
Called a dealer and spoke with the foreman. He mentioned that the DP's would (as we all knew) interfere with the o2 sensors and throw CEL's. They "most probably," would have a negative affect in regards to the warranty. What a bum! I'll stay-a-lookin on the forum for other possible options for the DP's.
Thanks again Driver72 for the insight.
jmramos44, if I didn't get the DP's a procede/JB2 would most likely be my next consideration next to the DINAN tune pending reliability issues on both.
If anyone else has feedback, please chime in.
aaron
note that terry 335 has developed simms for the catless dps that will not cause the dps to throw CELS... tell the dealer that if you get any CELs thrown by your exhaust, YOU will be responsible for fixing them at YOU COST. note i have this arrangement with my dealer on another contitnent.

thant should do it if the dealer is cool
good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
what company can u name that can exisit without sales?
what are u, a public servant or something (nothing against public servants, but in the private sector, if SOMEONE in any company does not sell, there aint gonna be any company for too long)

...get a life
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #20
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
this is on the money for the op.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #21
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
what company can u name that can exisit without sales?
what are u, a public servant or something (nothing against public servants, but in the private sector, if SOMEONE in any company does not sell, there aint gonna be any company for too long)

...get a life
That's fine and dandy and all BUT my point was obviously over your head. He is NOT a paying sponsor yet clearly peddling his product. Everyone else here pays for such rights.

Last edited by astris; 12-14-2007 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I would put LSD near the top of the list if you are adding more power to your 335i.
Appreciate 0