E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > [Readers Opinion] My future moves

07-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
[Readers Opinion] My future moves

Okay, I'm at that point where there are a few things I need to do mod wise for performance and then some exterior mods I want to do for looks. I need help deciding what order my performance mods should go in, though. I'll list my current set up, and then I'll list the performance mods I'm considering. Also, if anyone has anything to add to my list, please do so.

One thing I'll be looking for is more traction! Also, I'm not tracking the car. It is a daily driver with some fun when I need to put a Mustang GT in his rightful place (far back in my rearview mirror).

Current Mods
* 4 inch AR Design Down Pipe
* AA Intercooler (Sport)
* Wider APEX Wheels (9 front and 9.5 rear) w/ Pilot Super Sports
* Wavtrac LSD
* Cobb AP
* K&N Drop-In Air Filter
* ER Charge Pipe
* Not a mod, but I have the sport suspension

Considerations
* ProTune Freaks Custom Tune
* M3 Control Arms
* Springs/Struts/Shocks or Coilovers (Can't decide)
* Upgraded brake setup? (Not sure if the stock is sufficient)

That's all I got for now. If there is something missing let me know. The car feels great as it is, but I know that there are some things that will need upgraded if I do a stronger tune. The other things on the list are me trying to get just a TINY bit more traction out.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Jb4, Jb4, and Jb4
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Jump on the Pure group buy then get the PTF tune. That definitely won't help with traction, but it will be more fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Dan_Q
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5 50i

Garage List
2018 M3  [9.50]
2015 X5 xDrive50i  [10.00]
Do you have trouble right now with traction with your current setup? I am basically looking to mimic what you have. Power wise I still need the downpipe although that will be on order shortly. I was then hoping that an LSD and wider rubber would handle the traction with that level of power. I am just curious if you still have substantial issues.

As far as the rest goes it seems like a PTF custom map is a cheap change that is worth doing if you stick with the Cobb. I plan to do that as well. I believe the control arms mainly benefit the handling feel from the upgraded bushings and also enable you to achieve more agressive alignment numbers. Not so valuable for street driving. Replacing the suspension is significantly more expensive than either of the previously mentioned changes. I plan to do my suspension last although I know a lot of folks do it first. The majority seem to do coilovers for asthetic reasons so they can get a desired wheel gap. That isn't something I am all that concerned about. An upgraded brake setup is probably for looks only if you have no plans to track the car. Sounds like you are near the point of just getting additional stuff for the sake of doing it. If it were me I'd start in on the cosmetic stuff now. Your car sounds already well equipped from a performance standpoint.

That is my two cents.

I may get corrected but I believe that unless you have access to better fuel via E85 or are running meth that upgrading the turbo is minimally effective. To really see the benefits you need better fuel quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Don't waste money on brakes if the car is not tracked.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
ronny214
M3 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 ///M3 Black/Black

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't want to go JB4. I like having my flash tune. Also, with Cobb I can pass a sensor emissions test in Texas...can't do that with JB4...I tried. :-)

Dan_Q: Traction is greatly improved with the wider rubber and the LSD. I went as wide as possible without doing a fender roll. Yet I still have issues, but not much. I really just have to feather the throttle on the line. If I turn on DTC and have DSC turned off, single push as opposed to a long push on the traction button, then I don't get as much engine cut if I feather properly. I might still get some spin but I don't have that jolting power cut to the engine. I plan to have PTF do a tune that has the power dialed back slightly in first and second gears, and then just do a full on tune. See which one I like best. I've pretty much accepted that I might have to lose on the line and gain on the stretch. I'm looking at the spring/coilover setup because if I can get the car down on the tires a bit more that should help a tad bit. LSD is a huge improvement, though, and I highly recommend it. I don't get that floaty rear-end feel when I give it lots of power.
2015 M3 // Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Executive Package / M Double-Clutch Transmission w/ Drivelogic / 19" Black Light-Alloy Wheels / Adaptive M Suspension / Harman Kardon surround sound
Other // Shell Rotella T6 5w40
Appreciate 0