E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Replace external window trim

07-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
n83a
Rep
Drives: 330d

Replace external window trim

need a bit of advice picking the correct part and whether its an easy enough DIY for me to to do.

Someone has snapped the plastic external window trim/strip on the front drivers side has been snapped and it won't pop back into the rubber 'undertrim'.

Does anyone have any tips if its easy & quick enough to replace myself?

its part no.1 in the following link (in black):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=51&fg=20

Alternatively, if I don't replace it will it cause any further damage (other than the cosmetic damage).

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

The chrome part is purely cosmetic. The bottom rubber part is what serves the functional purpose.

If your car comes with chrome or shadowline, then your link shows the correct part. Not sure about European models, but here in the US shadowline is an option. Give your VIN to the dealer to verify the part.

It is a fairly simple DIY with the link below. You will have to remove the mirror in the process. Sounds like you have never done this before so give yourself about an hour for the job. You should also buy a few door panel clips at the same time in case you break one. They are less than a dollar each and will save you a separate trip to the dealer.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=window
Appreciate 0