F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mistake in M4 Review in Sunday Times?
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Mistake in M4 Review in Sunday Times?

Just read the review of the M4 by Jeremy Clarkson. On the whole he gives it good marks 4 out 5 stars. Says its a bit fussy in styling etc.

However, he says "..the noise is a big bass-baritone that comes from the engine, not some laptop-activated exhaust valve"

I think he's right, it isn't a laptop-activated exhaust valve but it is faked isn't it?? Surprised he didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
Just read the review of the M4 by Jeremy Clarkson. On the whole he gives it good marks 4 out 5 stars. Says its a bit fussy in styling etc.

However, he says "..the noise is a big bass-baritone that comes from the engine, not some laptop-activated exhaust valve"

I think he's right, it isn't a laptop-activated exhaust valve but it is faked isn't it?? Surprised he didn't know that.
He clearly does't know it has active sound! He'd surely hate that even more than an electronically controlled exhaust valve!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Ingeresting.Ill Read His Piece When I Get To The Golf Club. Clarkson Has Made One Or Two Mistakes In The Past.........
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It's not 100% fake though guys. It's actually mic and speakers reproduction of the cars natural noise with apparently 5% (I kid you not) fake ness layered ontop from a V8 V10 etc who knows. There's a good official thread in it in the M f8X section.

I could be wrong but from memory that's it.
      07-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
It's not 100% fake though guys. It's actually mic and speakers reproduction of the cars natural noise with apparently 5% (I kid you not) fake ness layered ontop from a V8 V10 etc who knows. There's a good official thread in it in the M f8X section.

I could be wrong but from memory that's it.
I can tell you that from my day with the M3 yesterday, there is no way that the active sound is 95% "real sound" just amplified into the cabin. It's far to artificial, far too linear and actually often had no correlation to what the engine was doing.

As an example, with the M HUD up you see the engine revs all the time and often on a manual change down there would be this weird fake blip of the engine coming through the speakers a couple of seconds later as if you had double de-clutched a real manual and were rev matching on the downshift. After a couple of times I decided to watch the revs very carefully as I changed and sure enough the engine blip sound came over the speakers but the revs stayed steady...open the window and listen for it and it definitely was not there outside. Now it is possible the DCT was rev matching to a degree on the downshift but it certainly wasn't anything to do with the sound in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post

Clarkson knows little about cars and is certainly not up with current developments. He's a journo and a pretty average one at that. Annoys me we have to pay the prat millions out of our TV licence fee.

Never did quite understand why everyone seems to think that the sun shines out of his exhaust pipe...

Last edited by G82Dude; 07-20-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
I can tell you that from my day with the M3 yesterday, there is no way that the active sound is 95% "real sound" just amplified into the cabin. It's far to artificial, far too linear and actually often had no correlation to what the engine was doing.

As an example, with the M HUD up you see the engine revs all the time and often on a manual change down there would be this weird fake blip of the engine coming through the speakers a couple of seconds later as if you had double de-clutched a real manual and were rev matching on the downshift. After a couple of times I decided to watch the revs very carefully as I changed and sure enough the engine blip sound came over the speakers but the revs stayed steady...open the window and listen for it and it definitely was not there outside. Now it is possible the DCT was rev matching to a degree on the downshift but it certainly wasn't anything to do with the sound in the cabin.
Not saying it sounds good or bad but BMW tech lead on the car says....
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=991627

Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine.

Only 2-3% is apparently fake noise as I wrote. How true that is and how well it's executed is another matter.
      07-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
Not saying it sounds good or bad but BMW tech lead on the car says....
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=991627

Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine.

Only 2-3% is apparently fake noise as I wrote. How true that is and how well it's executed is another matter.
If it's only 2-3%, is it actually needed at all?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

It's technology they need to get right for the next generation M3 etc, that will by hybrid or same setup as i8 but in an M chassis.

Come the next big EU legislation in 2021, there will not be many large engine cars - or rather purely large engine cars, might be a large engine hybrid.

Hence the reason to moving to 500cc engine mixes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
G82Dude
-
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
It's technology they need to get right for the next generation M3 etc, that will by hybrid or same setup as i8 but in an M chassis.

Come the next big EU legislation in 2021, there will not be many large engine cars - or rather purely large engine cars, might be a large engine hybrid.

Hence the reason to moving to 500cc engine mixes.
So a no then!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKF32Dude View Post
If it's only 2-3%, is it actually needed at all?!?
No but it gets people used to the principal, but like fake noise in the 335's /435's

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Your wife has fake breasts.
So what's wrong with fake noise?

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Your wife has fake breasts.
So what's wrong with fake noise?

Not to mention the years of faking it
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #14
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep

Quote:
. Not to mention the years of faking it
Me and the rest of the lads didn't notice that....

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
No but it gets people used to the principal, but like fake noise in the 335's /435's

Still don't know either way if the 335i has fake noise or not, but if it does the M3 fake noise is much much louder.
Appreciate 0