F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > NYC hints and tips
Studio RSR

07-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

NYC hints and tips

Hi all

I'm visiting New York from England for the first time ever in August and staying in 'midtown' for 4 days with the wife for a special birthday. I'm expecting to do the tourist stuff but would welcome your thoughts on what you guys think are the best things to do, best restaurants etc when time is really limited to a couple of days.

Thanks in Advance for any help
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

It all depends on what you enjoy doing. There a lot of nice museums if that's what tickles your fancy. MOMA, the Metropolitan museum of art, the museum of natural history. Do you have time to catch a broadway show? You can visit the TKTS booth in Times Square to score some last minute broadway show deals. Also take a walk through Central Park if time allows. And although I'm not a big fan of recommending the World Trade Center memorial as a tourist site, you may or may not want to see that as well. Being a New Yorker that worked there on 9/11 I'm a bit sensitive about calling it a tourist attraction. However if you give it the respect it deserves then by all means pay it a visit. I hope you have a fantastic trip
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Also this is a top rated restaurant in nyc
http://le-bernardin.com/menus/#dinner
If you can score a reservation it would be nice. It's a fancy seafood menu if that's to yer liking. It's up the street from my old office.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Cheers Dan, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
sooz
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT

Metropolitan Museum of Art! Especially if it rains.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Reelknead1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

A lot of what is mentioned above is very good information. The main attractions are always Time Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, 9/11 Memorial. Whenever I go to the city, I always try and have lunch at Bryant Park. Its fairly small park but it's a very nice spot to stop and rest for a bit.

You could also check out Wall Street, Ellis Island, and/or the Statute of Liberty. I personally lived 2 hours north of the city for almsot 20 years and never got around to doing some of these touristy things but I've heard very good things. I hope you enjoy your visit and make sure to update the thread with your thoughts after the trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
okuruca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

time square
central park
madame tassuo (spelled it wrong) museum
Empire state( I thought it was waste of money IMO)
DEFF do boat tour it wasn't too expensive (30$/person) 1,5 hour of boat tour of NY
go to edgewater nj and have a dinner at pier 16 GORGEOUS view of the city at night..

ill add more if I remember
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I would say just try to visit as many different sections of the city as you can. It's amazing how many hidden gems there are and how different each neighborhood can feel. You definitely should get to central park, but to change it up it might be nice to rent bicycles. There are places all around the park. I've done this and it's a pretty simple process. You can ride all over the park in a fraction of the time, and stop and rest anywhere you like. What I also did was bike over to the Hudson river and you can ride along the water. Maybe stop at Pier I café for an outdoor drink and quick bite on the river (nothing fancy).

See the financial district; South Street Seaport for nice water views of the east river bridges. Visit Stone Street for an outdoor lunch or dinner in a very Old New York cobble stone street pub setting. There is all kinds of food for the picking in that area. You can check out Battery Park (up to you if you want to do the Liberty Cruise), but if you fancy nice walks the whole Battery Park City area is nice. Walking between Battery Park and the 9/11 memorial might be a good use of time.

Check out the meatpacking district for a while and walk the High Line park up to 34th street. There really are endless restaurants to choose from, it should not be hard for you to find nice dinner options.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Take a train ride to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Lots of great restaurants and specialty shops to check out. It's a totally different vibe than the city and you get to see lots of unique individuals and their products/art/food. On Sundays they have a flea market near bush wick inlet park, located couple blocks from Williamsburg bridge.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=RedlinePSI;16333616]I would say just try to visit as many different sections of the city as you can. It's amazing how many hidden gems there are and how different each neighborhood can feel. You definitely should get to central park, but to change it up it might be nice to rent bicycles.

if you rent a bike... please do be careful... its chaotic riding in manhattan.
if you stick to central park you should be fine.

its a shame you aren't spending more time in New York City during your stay. Like the other responders had mentioned.. there a ton of hidden gems in the city. We are pointing out the obvious ones that all people tend to visit. maybe plan 3 of your days to see things in specific... the last day... just wing it...you will be amazed at what you can find!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Thanks once more chaps, I'll be there in just over a week now, getting excited.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

For a true New York Nightlife experience, try to spend an evening in the Meat packing District. Lots of good restuarants, bars and nightclubs. You can also walk the Highline in the evening, before heading to dinner. It is basically an over-head train line that was converted into park area. Everything else will be super touristy, although the museums are pretty good, but I would avoid Times Square/Empire State building unless you want to walk around a herd of clueless people looking at billboards and lights, and the food in those areas is total crap.

Catch
Buddakan
Spice Market
STK
Fatty Crab
Dos Caminos
Bagatelle
      08-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
BMWUltimateDriv3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi

Eat at Peter Lugers. And what took you so long visiting NYC if you're from NE?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Thanks again for the ideas. I'm back now and thought I'd let you know what I packed into 4 days. Very predictable I know but as a first time visitor you have to see the main sights

Stayed at Library Hotel
Empire State Building (+ observatory tower)
Bryant Park
Grand Central Station
Washington Park
Elevated Acre
View from the Rock
Gotham Comedy Club
Hired Bikes in Central Park
Chelsea Market
Stattan Island Ferry
Walked Brooklyn Bridge
Worst place to eat - Subway, Best place we ate - River Cafe
Did plenty walking, esp around financial district and meatpacking area
911 memorial - hmm - too many tourists types taking selfies in bad taste imho
Walked High Line
Caught a few subway trains - glad they had air con
River taxi boat up the east river
Chinatown/Little Italy

As for your taxi drivers - what a crazy bunch - most cant speak a word of English and I had to give them directions in a few cases!

And American Airlines - their 757's feel like they are from the 1960's ! Avoid
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep

Wow

You certainly packed a lot into the days you spent here. Now here is the question... Would you come back? I have lived in New York all my life and I cannot imagine living anywhere else.

Hope your stay was an enjoyable one... But if I may ask.. Why did you eat at subway?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Thanks again for the ideas. I'm back now and thought I'd let you know what I packed into 4 days. Very predictable I know but as a first time visitor you have to see the main sights

Stayed at Library Hotel
Empire State Building (+ observatory tower)
Bryant Park
Grand Central Station
Washington Park
Elevated Acre
View from the Rock
Gotham Comedy Club
Hired Bikes in Central Park
Chelsea Market
Stattan Island Ferry
Walked Brooklyn Bridge
Worst place to eat - Subway, Best place we ate - River Cafe
Did plenty walking, esp around financial district and meatpacking area
911 memorial - hmm - too many tourists types taking selfies in bad taste imho
Walked High Line
Caught a few subway trains - glad they had air con
River taxi boat up the east river
Chinatown/Little Italy

As for your taxi drivers - what a crazy bunch - most cant speak a word of English and I had to give them directions in a few cases!

And American Airlines - their 757's feel like they are from the 1960's ! Avoid
What happened to Harlem, Bronx, BK? No love for uptown?
Appreciate 0