E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is 93 Octane Bad?

12-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Is 93 Octane Bad?

I don't understand why some states such as CA, CO, and AZ don't have 93 octane? Is it bad for the environment so environmentally friendly states have banned it? I just don't understand this issue

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Well, did my on the topic (I dunno who said a dog is your best friend, imo google is). The use of 91 crap-gas in CA and other states is caused by Ahnolds endeavour to reduce emmisions. The logic is the following (pasted form one of the pertoleum industry associacions website):
Quote:
What happens if I use the wrong octane petrol in my vehicle?
Different vehicle models have different octane requirements. Using a petrol octane grade higher than that required by your vehicle is unnecessary and a waste of money, particularly since no added benefits to engine performance or efficiency will be achieved. Using petrol with too low an octane may decrease engine performance and fuel efficiency, and may cause the engine to knock which can cause engine damage over time. It should be noted that the octane requirement of a specific vehicle is dependent on many variables, including operating conditions and the way it is driven, with octane requirement peaking under high load, wide-open-throttle conditions.

Why should I not use an octane grade that is higher than my car actually requires?
Petrol with a higher octane requires more severe refining and greater energy use in the production process. If not offset by greater fuel efficiency of the vehicle using the fuel, this extra energy use is wasted energy. This wastage results in higher emissions of greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide), which harms our environment.

The use of octane grades higher than your vehicle actually requires will cost the motorist more, cost the country more and have a negative environmental impact. At the same time, there will be no additional benefit to the drivability or performance of the vehicle.
Now I'm not sure how much are U interested in a standard EU caveman's opinion on this, but I think if the US want to be serious about reducing greenhouse gasses, they should take care of the big polluters first (what they dont as the smartest president on earth refused to sign the appropriate agreements/laws). This 91 octane crap-gas issue is more of a populistic gesture of Ahnold to get some "green" votes, but it helps no more like a kiss to a death man.

Julius

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

California had 91 octane far before the Governator came into office.

The primary octane booster in gasoline (look at MSDS sheets for 91 octane and then check out one for race gas) is toluene.

Get enough toluene in your body and you'll grow another nipple in the middle of your chest.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
nyc335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

two words "fucking politics"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
California had 91 octane far before the Governator came into office.

The primary octane booster in gasoline (look at MSDS sheets for 91 octane and then check out one for race gas) is toluene.

Get enough toluene in your body and you'll grow another nipple in the middle of your chest.
I think the US is moving towards MTBE as an octane boost. The toluene is nasty as you said.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Well, did my on the topic (I dunno who said a dog is your best friend, imo google is). The use of 91 crap-gas in CA and other states is caused by Ahnolds endeavour to reduce emmisions. The logic is the following (pasted form one of the pertoleum industry associacions website):

Now I'm not sure how much are U interested in a standard EU caveman's opinion on this, but I think if the US want to be serious about reducing greenhouse gasses, they should take care of the big polluters first (what they dont as the smartest president on earth refused to sign the appropriate agreements/laws). This 91 octane crap-gas issue is more of a populistic gesture of Ahnold to get some "green" votes, but it helps no more like a kiss to a death man.

Julius
Thanks for the info, and I can't agree more------amazing how big of a deal they make about cars polluting yet industry is allowed to run ramped. If you got rid of every car on the road we would still have major green-house issues. Not that we shouldn't greatly increase required MPG and make hydrogen cars a priority, but this country needs to start jumping on with the international agreements that really are meant to do something.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Higher Octane fuel takes more energy to combust so it doesn't burn as clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I think the US is moving towards MTBE as an octane boost. The toluene is nasty as you said.
Nah, California tried MTBE until they started finding it in the fish in large quantities.

You know, the fish that you eat.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Nah, California tried MTBE until they started finding it in the fish in large quantities.

You know, the fish that you eat.
yummy... on the east coast we have to worry about Iodine.. seems much better compared to MTBE.
Appreciate 0