EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Question on coating and clear bra

Hey there. On my e92 I have a clear bra. I like the stone chip protection. I also am getting the coating - the one they do is called Xzilon, but I have heard of others. My question is this:
- the dealer is saying they do the bra, then the coating. Does this sound right or does anyone else have experience with this?

The idea makes sense - that the bra would peel off if it was over the coating. But I also worry about if the clear bra ever is to be removed. Thoughts and input are appreciated. Thanks.
      07-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
nsxpowered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Alpine White/ Red

Clear Bra is a transparent urethane film. Putting a coating over the clear bra is a waste of money. Honestly that coating is not going to help you and you are better off doing something else with your money.

I just went to look at the Xzilon website and I am a bit concerned about their claims. Being that I familar with the aviation industry, I know these type of products will do the following claim:
Bird Drops & Etching
Water Spotting
Tree Sap
Loss of Gloss
Oxidation
Acid Rain
Love Bug Damage

They also forgot to mention that it will also make your surface more resistant to soft scratches. Also this produce will not prevent photodegradation (color loss) from UV exposure. It is merely a hydrophobic sealer that is toxic, it becomes inert once it cures. I noticed they say it is VOC free. Even if this product was aqueous based, it still contains VOCs or else how will the coating adhere? It is extremely flammable. If you drink this stuff, you have a pretty good chance of dying. The company doesn't openly share MSDS which is another red flag. It is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. If I had to guess, it would be using a silicone based solvent carrier because it would be odorless and keep the solids in suspension extending shelf life and not worry about mold contaminating the product and tie it with branched aliphatic hydrocarbon chains. Most of these products are usually photoreactive so they are stored in a container where there is no light. So just to recap, once the product cures and the solvent dissipates, the solids (coating) should be inert, so no dangers if swallowed. But don't do it anyways.

I seen many of these type of companies pop up and shut down over the years with products they rebranded for commercial / consumer use. Notice all these cell phone sprays on the market, mostly all the same stuff. I have tons of this stuff and work with it daily and I have all forms of compositions and even custom formulations made for my application, not because I am anal, but customer specification or certification requirements.

*late night disclaimer* didn't proofread because it is late and going to sleep. hope this helps you making a more informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxpowered View Post
Clear Bra is a transparent urethane film. Putting a coating over the clear bra is a waste of money. Honestly that coating is not going to help you and you are better off doing something else with your money.

I just went to look at the Xzilon website and I am a bit concerned about their claims. Being that I familar with the aviation industry, I know these type of products will do the following claim:
Bird Drops & Etching
Water Spotting
Tree Sap
Loss of Gloss
Oxidation
Acid Rain
Love Bug Damage

They also forgot to mention that it will also make your surface more resistant to soft scratches. Also this produce will not prevent photodegradation (color loss) from UV exposure. It is merely a hydrophobic sealer that is toxic, it becomes inert once it cures. I noticed they say it is VOC free. Even if this product was aqueous based, it still contains VOCs or else how will the coating adhere? It is extremely flammable. If you drink this stuff, you have a pretty good chance of dying. The company doesn't openly share MSDS which is another red flag. It is just a lawsuit waiting to happen. If I had to guess, it would be using a silicone based solvent carrier because it would be odorless and keep the solids in suspension extending shelf life and not worry about mold contaminating the product and tie it with branched aliphatic hydrocarbon chains. Most of these products are usually photoreactive so they are stored in a container where there is no light. So just to recap, once the product cures and the solvent dissipates, the solids (coating) should be inert, so no dangers if swallowed. But don't do it anyways.

I seen many of these type of companies pop up and shut down over the years with products they rebranded for commercial / consumer use. Notice all these cell phone sprays on the market, mostly all the same stuff. I have tons of this stuff and work with it daily and I have all forms of compositions and even custom formulations made for my application, not because I am anal, but customer specification or certification requirements.

*late night disclaimer* didn't proofread because it is late and going to sleep. hope this helps you making a more informed decision.
Thanks @nsxpowered After getting home and doing some research, we canceled the Xzilon. It was a spur of the moment dealer decision that we researched and un-decided. Got a refund. Thanks for the info. Great perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
accce
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SBM/BLK EXT CC Brakes

You don't need the clear coating on the film. If anything it will ruin the film. the coating produces a hard coating and if thats on the plastic and a rock hits it it will crack and look like shit. I had Xpel Ultimate put on my whole hood both front fenders front bumper mirrors headlights and the top of my rear bumper. It the best $ you can spend to protect your car from chips bird droppings etc.
Appreciate 1
Jsin2.00
      07-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by accce View Post
You don't need the clear coating on the film. If anything it will ruin the film. the coating produces a hard coating and if thats on the plastic and a rock hits it it will crack and look like shit. I had Xpel Ultimate put on my whole hood both front fenders front bumper mirrors headlights and the top of my rear bumper. It the best $ you can spend to protect your car from chips bird droppings etc.
That's actually exactly what we did (and added it to the rocker panels, A pillars and a strip on the roofline). Probably overkill, but my wife likes things to remain as new looking as possible. I do too, but probably would not have gone quite this far. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0