F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Lets just all get along
ARMA SPEED

07-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

Lets just all get along

I am reasonably new to this forum and also spend a lot of time on a guitar website for people that own a brand that is probably the BMW equivalent in the guitar world

the tone there is people who have the same passion for music and a certain brand and don't seem to bash each other - there is plenty of good banter and leg pulling but nothing horrible

Quite a few people here seem to be more aggressive and enjoy belittling people who have not got the top spec model or who have chosen the "wrong car" in their opinion

I say if you are happy with your 316 of 335 then good on you and you have my best wishes and hope you get as much enjoyment as I do from mine

petrol vs diesel, winter vs summer and 4wd vs rwd - all done to death and pretty boring now!!!!!!

move on and lets enjoy debating a brand we all have a common interest & love for

rant finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feel fee to flame me or agree - not bothered either way LOL
      07-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Here, here

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Totally agree. There is no wrong car, I just think folk need to bear in mind that other people have different needs, lifestyles, priorities and considerations that mean they make different choices to others.

That BMW make an engine and body style and trim and drivetrain and a full range of extras to suit every pocket is to be celebrated in my view!

I would love it if more people contributed to threads than do so currently as it seems there are hundreds more who view them!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Don't actually think you're ranting at all. Just actually read that thread and was going to say much the same thing.

We all love a bit of banter but seriously? If I want attitude, I just talk to my staff This place is a perfect escape for my sanity - above all, it's fun.

Let the smileyness resume
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Welcome to the forum!

I think we have a great group of people here with a tremendous amount of knowledge that contribute regularly. Agree more would be good.

I think there's a healthy level of debate here. I've not necessarily detected much in the way of negativity tbh. Banter/ differing opinions yes but all generally in good humour.

I drive the combined evil of petrol and xdrive but not detected any negativity. (Takes cover)

What I have gained here is a lot of knowledge... Bucket loads of it kicking about and armed with this id likely drop x drive next time but consider winter tyres. Wouldn't likely be having this thought process if I hadn't been reading this forum.

Thank you all.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Its always done in the best possible taste!

Provided you don't drive a diesel.....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Well said, it is probably one of the better forums of any topic.

Basically everyone bought or leased etc, for their own set of reasons.

Some purely financial, some as they have enormous experience of the brand or cars in general.
We are sort of lucky we have this huge variation in choice of engine, transmission suspension etc.

The wealth of knowledge on here is amazing, not only that is the willingness of people to share that knowledge.

There is always a fine line between banter and the next level.

Luckily we rarely see any hand bags at dawn.

I admit to taking the piss abit and the odd heated change, I will however happily apologies.

Anyhow hugs for you all
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

the level of expectations is so different that everybody should find a joy in any aspect of any car. And I totally agree to what you said. If everyone enjoys what they drive that's fine. But the worst kind of people are those who sit in their so called lovely cars and looking jealously at your car then scratching your car on a car park only because yours is better/newer/cleaner in their sick minds.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
ajstephe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChinery View Post
I am reasonably new to this forum and also spend a lot of time on a guitar website for people that own a brand that is probably the BMW equivalent in the guitar world
Do you own an Epiphone then?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
badders74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d X Drive

Its true. Everyone has their own reasons for purchasing the car that they do. It would be a boring world if we all like the same things!!

diesel owners 4WD = usually do a lot of miles but still want performance and use their car all year round.

petrol owners 2WD = do less miles, enjoy performance and like to stay at home in the harsh winters or use it as an ornament on the drive!

lol
      07-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstephe View Post
No, he has a Martin; maybe a Taylor!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Always best if we can laugh at ourselves and not at other folk.

We can share differing opinion without downing someone else. That is mostly the case on the forum. Definitely some tongue in cheek comments, but not always read that way, even with the smilies.

Look forward to the debates on the BMW Active Tourer when it arrives. That will really put the cat among the pigeons, when we get users on here who have chosen one.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Look forward to the debates on the BMW Active Tourer when it arrives. That will really put the cat among the pigeons, when we get users on here who have chosen one.

HighlandPete
Dear God, that'll be entertaining. Will make sure I stock up
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

the tone there is people who have the same passion for music and a certain brand and don't seem to bash each other - there is plenty of good banter and leg pulling but nothing horrible

Quite a few people here seem to be more aggressive and enjoy belittling people who have not got the top spec model or who have chosen the "wrong car" in their opinion

I say if you are happy with your 316 of 335 then good on you and you have my best wishes and hope you get as much enjoyment as I do from mine

petrol vs diesel, winter vs summer and 4wd vs rwd - all done to death and pretty boring now!!!!!!

move on and lets enjoy debating a brand we all have a common interest & love for

rant finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! feel fee to flame me or agree - not bothered either way LOL

Well put.

Mostly, this forum is great source of information from many knowledgeable enthusiasts. Once in awhile, it gets a little crazy on the diesel/petro, xdrive RWD, 4 vs. 6, etc., but usually it is just good banter from passionate people.

What I have a hard time understanding is that subset of posters that think their choice is the only way to go and if you don't have their choice, therefore, you are wrong and your car isn't worthy.

Sure, we can talk about the pros and cons of each option, package, engine, model, etc, but in the end of the day, the person buying the car has to decide what he/she wants/can afford to buy. If a buyer does research, knows the pros and cons, and makes a choice, that is the correct choice for them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstephe View Post
Sod off (LOL).................. Paul Reed Smith
      07-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Doc943
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Totally agree. There is no wrong car, I just think folk need to bear in mind that other people have different needs, lifestyles, priorities and considerations that mean they make different choices to others.

That BMW make an engine and body style and trim and drivetrain and a full range of extras to suit every pocket is to be celebrated in my view!

I would love it if more people contributed to threads than do so currently as it seems there are hundreds more who view them!
My 320 is somewhere near the configuration starting point and whilst it's great to read the stories of those who were in the fortunate position to add a number of options, I feel mine is somewhat a lesser beast to rave about. But the OP makes a great point and thus forum has always made me welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I think everyone is genuinely welcome here, whatever their car, and real engine snobbery is very rare. But banter sometimes gets out of hand and misinterpreted. This happens in all online forums from time to time, and as others have said, this forum far better than most.

I've learned an awful lot from the genuinely helpful and friendly people here, and long may it continue. It's just a worry that after reading some of the detailing threads I have started looking forward to washing my car. I possibly need to get a life.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I totally agree, there is no wrong car!

Unless it's xdrive
Or 2l
Or petrol
Or not an M Sport

Sorry i just couldn't help myself! I am joking of course!

Or am i! :
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Unless it's xdrive
Or 2l
Or petrol
Or not an M Sport

Or am i! :
see........that's better, good honest banter is the grease that makes the day slip by easier !!!!! much love to all on here, peace brothers and sisters
      07-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #20
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Unless it's xdrive
Or 2l
Or petrol
Or not an M Sport

Or am i! :
So you won't be looking to purchase a 320i xDrive Luxury as your next model then....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep

I just feel sorry for the first person on here that gets an active tourer - a front wheel drive beemer - god help them!!!!!!!!!!!!
      07-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just feel sorry for the first person on here that gets an active tourer - a front wheel drive beemer - god help them!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will be great in reverse
Appreciate 0