THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N20, does it come with a Diverter Valve or BlowOff Valve?

07-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

N20, does it come with a Diverter Valve or BlowOff Valve?

On the 228i N20, does it come with a Diverter Valve or BlowOff Valve?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Defcon View Post
On the 228i N20, does it come with a Diverter Valve or BlowOff Valve?
You can hear the excess pressure being blown out with the windows down
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
BuckSM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

The sound is very faint; but yes to answer your question, the blow off valve is integrated to the turbo from what I have gathered.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinax View Post
The sound is very faint; but yes to answer your question, the blow off valve is integrated to the turbo from what I have gathered.
So it comes with a BOV rather than a Diverter Valve? Just wondering because the 135 comes with a diverter valve instead of a BOV.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
BuckSM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
So it comes with a BOV rather than a Diverter Valve? Just wondering because the 135 comes with a diverter valve instead of a BOV.
Correction, it is the Valvetronic, BMW's diverter valve.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinax View Post
Cool! Thanks for the correction! By any chance, do you know if its interchangable without losing too much boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
from what I understand (dont have my car yet so cant confirm) there is a diverter valve thats mounted on the n55 twinpower turbo.

The after market solution will run a remote line to a BOV that you mount remotely.

im also interested in learning more about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Amessforone
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinax
Quote:
Correction: Valvetronic refers to BMW's variable valve control. A diverter valve and a blow off valve is the exact same thing. Some are made to vent to atmosphere (which is doubtful) and others are set to recirculation (most likely our case)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amessforone View Post
Correction: Valvetronic refers to BMW's variable valve control. A diverter valve and a blow off valve is the exact same thing. Some are made to vent to atmosphere (which is doubtful) and others are set to recirculation (most likely our case)
I believe the ones that recirculate are called Diverter valves. I had a plastic one on my 1.8T A4 B6. I'm thinking of changing the one on my 2 to something with more noise like a Blow off valve, which is the one that releases into the atmosphere.

Last edited by 7Defcon; 07-16-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Amessforone
Private
Rep

Quote:
I believe the ones that recirculate are called Diverter valves. I had a plastic one on my 1.8T A4 B6. I'm thinking of changing the one on my 2 to something with more noise like a Blow off valve, which is the one that releases into the atmosphere.
All of them are essentially the same attempting. Recirculation and venting to atmosphere are settings. Factory cars have adopted the term diverter valve for the unit while the aftermarket almost always called them Blow off valves. Either way, they are the same and have the same purpose. I don't mean to harp on this too much, but I have been asked this question to the point of me having to pull out a factory "diverter valve" and a "blow off valve" to prove to a friend that they were literally the exact same.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
All of them are essentially the same attempting. Recirculation and venting to atmosphere are settings. Factory cars have adopted the term diverter valve for the unit while the aftermarket almost always called them Blow off valves. Either way, they are the same and have the same purpose. I don't mean to harp on this too much, but I have been asked this question to the point of me having to pull out a factory "diverter valve" and a "blow off valve" to prove to a friend that they were literally the exact same.
Nice! Thanks for the info. Have you switched yours out to an aftermarket one? I'm thinking about switching it out but I'm afraid i'd lose a fair amount of boost because the pressure isnt recirculated, if i get a BOV. Was just really interested in the sound w/o losing functionality.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Amessforone
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Defcon
Quote:
Nice! Thanks for the info. Have you switched yours out to an aftermarket one? I'm thinking about switching it out but I'm afraid i'd lose a fair amount of boost because the pressure isnt recirculated, if i get a BOV. Was just really interested in the sound w/o losing functionality.
Honestly, your best bet is just to get an intake with an open element filter. It will increase the sound of both the turbo and diverter valve. On top of all of that, you'll have a few extra horses from swapping out the factory intake which are made to muffle sound from factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

Here is a pic of my upgraded turbo.. you can see the electronic diverter valve attached to the actual turbo.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
7Defcon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Daaaang! You did a turbo upgrade?! Which turbo did you get?
Appreciate 0