E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Australia’s 2nd fastest 335i – V2 install

12-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Australia’s 2nd fastest 335i – V2 install

With the kind help of WOPALX I am now up and running V2 as of 7:00 pm tonight.

The install went very well without any dramas or error codes. Phew.

I took the car for a quick spin later and my impressions are:
  • Acceleration appears slower between 2,000rpm and 5,000rpm than my old V1.45.
  • Above 5,000rpm the car as a huge increase in power.
  • When I use the steptronic paddles to slow down, I sometimes here a “whooshing” sound between shifts.

Is this to be expected?

Can’t wait for the drive to work tomorrow.

Cheers,

CaptOz

P.S. A huge thank you goes out to WOPALX who braved a long drive, cut fingers and warm beer to help me with the install.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Yup.

If you are running the v2.0.2 that was updated (yesterday) and called 12-11-07, I am running the same tune.

There is no doubt below 4000 rpms it has less torque than v1.47, but above that it pulls harder now (especially above 5000 rpms as you said).

The biggest difference is how smooth it runs up the tach now.
v1.4x had that large initial surge of boost that came on about 3200 rpms that hit you like a brick wall.
While it feels great that way, it made it really hard to launch the car and drive it smoothly at lower rpms or part throttle.

v2.0.2 still pulls hard down low, but just doesn't have that BIG hit of power then the drop off. It has a smooth power build and just sings above 5000 rpms.

Shiv did say the version he released yesterday is a bit of a detuned version (even detuned over the v2.0.2 beta some were running).

Turn your torque setting up to 92% across the board.
It helps a bit too (but doesn't make a big difference).

Even at 92% settings with the tune he released yesterday, it's still a more conservative map than the beta v2.0.2

I love the power up top as well.
I think we lost a bit more torque below 4000 rpms than I'd like.
I think if we get a map that's about half way between what this map and what v1.47 map had below 4000 rpms, it would be perfect.
That will probably be coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

so when is the v2.0.3 coming out? I hope it will combine best of both (v1.4x and v2x)
      12-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
HimSeLf
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

I would install it for sure but afraid there are no such proffessionals in Cyprus
      12-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Red Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
With the kind help of WOPALX I am now up and running V2 as of 7:00 pm tonight.

The install went very well without any dramas or error codes. Phew.

I took the car for a quick spin later and my impressions are:
  • Acceleration appears slower between 2,000rpm and 5,000rpm than my old V1.45.
  • Above 5,000rpm the car as a huge increase in power.
  • When I use the steptronic paddles to slow down, I sometimes here a “whooshing” sound between shifts.

Can’t wait for the drive to work tomorrow.

Cheers,

CaptOz

P.S. A huge thank you goes out to WOPALX who braved a long drive, cut fingers and warm beer to help me with the install.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Yup.

If you are running the v2.0.2 that was updated (yesterday) and called 12-11-07, I am running the same tune.

There is no doubt below 4000 rpms it has less torque than v1.47, but above that it pulls harder now (especially above 5000 rpms as you said).

The biggest difference is how smooth it runs up the tach now.
v1.4x had that large initial surge of boost that came on about 3200 rpms that hit you like a brick wall.
While it feels great that way, it made it really hard to launch the car and drive it smoothly at lower rpms or part throttle.

v2.0.2 still pulls hard down low, but just doesn't have that BIG hit of power then the drop off. It has a smooth power build and just sings above 5000 rpms.

Shiv did say the version he released yesterday is a bit of a detuned version (even detuned over the v2.0.2 beta some were running).

Turn your torque setting up to 92% across the board.
It helps a bit too (but doesn't make a big difference).

Even at 92% settings with the tune he released yesterday, it's still a more conservative map than the beta v2.0.2

I love the power up top as well.
I think we lost a bit more torque below 4000 rpms than I'd like.
I think if we get a map that's about half way between what this map and what v1.47 map had below 4000 rpms, it would be perfect.
That will probably be coming soon.
Did you test shifting @ redline ( 3-4, manual and let the steptronic upshift ) ? There had been an issue which should have been solved.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Eugen,

Well, I ran it on the dyno in 3rd gear and took it to redline with no issues.
then I did 3 dyno pulls in 4th with no issues.
Then I took it for a drive and did some 1st and 2nd gear redline runs with no issues.
I my way home on the freeway, I had a couple open spots where I was able to go from 60-100 or so and nailed it with no issues either.

Ran very good. I had v1.47 in this car and never had a limp mode either.

I am going to go out today and do some more runs in the canyons and will be sure to test 3rd-4th at redline again before dynoing again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Eugen,

For the good of the forum I broke many a speed limit testing the up-shift from 3rd to 4th. It works fine for me, infact all 3 AT versions released this week have worked for me without issue.

Testing the up-shift from 4th to 5th at redline would land me in jail if caught so I am unlikely to test that in a hurry very often. I did however test it once with the 2nd version AT map without issue.

I may be lucky but I have NEVER had a limp mode with either V1 or V2 so am very happy.

Will be installing my boost gauge on the w/e time permitting so will be able to monitor for any spikes, but the times I have driven with the laptop connected I have not seen anything over 15 psi.

Captn',

The beer was not warm, if it had been then I would have installed your green loom backwards

The swoosh you hear would be the blow off valves working. Better to have a swoosh than a bang

In terms of acceleration allow the ECU to adapt over a few more klms, I cannot say I really notice the lack of torque down low, however I do not break the rear end free as much on launch so that's good IMHO.

I will be raising my user settings tonight so will see what that does down low, with the stupid season upon us the roads will be full of the anti-fun police which does not help when trying to push the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Quote:

v2.0.2 still pulls hard down low, but just doesn't have that BIG hit of power.
Can this be cured by increasing the V2 percentages at 3000 / 3500?
I want the "extreme hit" response. I hate a smooth response.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:

I am running the same tune as well and really notice the torgue loss down low. I loved my low down surge of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
In terms of acceleration allow the ECU to adapt over a few more klms, I cannot say I really notice the lack of torque down low, however I do not break the rear end free as much on launch so that's good IMHO.
I'll take it for a good run today. I love the rear breaking free - perhaps I am a hoon at heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
I want the "extreme hit" too. Perhaps we need an "extreme" map.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
Did you test shifting @ redline ( 3-4, manual and let the steptronic upshift ) ? There had been an issue which should have been solved.

- Eugen
Just wanted to let you know.
I just got back from a 30 mile high speed Nurburgring like drive in the local canyons not far from my home.
I did multiple runs to redline including probably 10 in 3rd gear and letting the computer shift for me into 4th (Shiv asked me to test that too).
Including 3 back to back 3rd gear to redline tests.
I also ran up to redline in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear numerous times.

There were times where I was also keeping the revs up above 4000 rpms for minutes at a time, and paddle shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear for the turns and following straights.
The mountain run changes in elevation constantly and has numerous dips and hills as well.
I would get on the throttle in the middle of the smaller dips too.

Not one limp mode, not one hiccup, not one problem.
I couldn't even notice much of a drop in power from heat soak either.
My temp gauge never got above 250.

I had the settings at 92% across the board and am running on 92 Octane gas at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
To be honest, Shiv will have to answer that.
I do know that at the moment he is recommending making the user torque setting changes the same across the board.
But I know with "advanced" user torque settings you can and should be able to just increase the torque in certain areas.

Too be honest, if the low to mid range "blast" of torque is what you really like, stick with v1.47 then, or upload v1.48 coming soon.
You'll have the big hit of low end torque at 3200 rpms, but lack the higher rpm (4500+) pull of v2.

To be honest, I do notice the drop in torque below 4000 rpms, but v2 is so smooth and consistent that it's not really a big deal.
I too would like to have a BIT more of the torque back in the 3000-4000 rpm range, but still want to be less than v1.47 as it made for difficult launches from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
gobo335i
Toy Wrangler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - GoCart on Steroids

It sounds to me like V2 is a bit more of a "drivers car" with smoother response, making it better in "spirited driving" through canyons or on the track. I cant wait. The "big hit" is impressive, but I miss the smooth application of stock power to be honest. I can get the power down sooner and more aggressively with better boost control. (and a lot more comfortably I might add!)

Now if that dang harness thing would show up this weekend as planned.....
      12-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
I dont understand .. why am I losing the strong torque pull from 2000 to 5000 rpms? I want that and then also the 5000+ performance. Why, I say why? I am missing something. cmon all you geeks.

1988 Porsche 911 Cab, 47k, SW chip, cat pipe, M&K exhaust.
Appreciate 0