E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can you "sell" a Dinan tune?

12-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Can you "sell" a Dinan tune?

One of the obvious benefits to going the piggyback route is the ability to spend a few minutes unplugging it and sell it to someone else for 75-100% of what you paid for it. This can come in handy if one is strapped for cash, doesn't like the car that way anymore, or most obviously when selling the car (since selling a car with mods usually resaults in a huge loss vs parting-out).

So, anyway, my question is, can the Dinan tune be sold, or "uninstalled" from one car and put on another?

I'm thinking of my WRX with its Cobb Tuning ECU flash. It wasn't a piggy back...it was the ECU itself being re-flashed. Once installed, the flashing unit could not be used to install reflashes on any other cars, since it was "married" to my car. I could easily plug it in and "revert to stock" and then the unit is "unmarried" and could be sold to another customer for them to use the flash.

Since it sounds like BMW has to do the install of the Dinan tune themselves, there is no flash hardware for the buyer to own and then resell if he chooses to uninstall it and revert to stock. IF that's the case, that is a huge price-point disadvantage (on top of the already higher cost).

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Nope....that is why some people don't like it. One thing that is disagreed on is whether or not it has any value when you trade your car in or sell it. I personally don't think it will get you an extra money....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

I would pay less for a car that had it, because you know the person drove it hard. Like any other modded car, it loses value.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

well in the new bimmer mag there is an article how dinan cars are actually worth more on the market than the same non dinan model esp for them being known for reliability and a great warranty and there relationship with bmw na...so people aren't as afraid as the other tuners outh there but a dina ac schintzer or alpina car will always be worth more...i have never heard it disagreed upon in the real world when actually going to buy a car but maybe people talk crap on forums but that is how it goes i guess...one of the bad things about forums and certain media is you have to look through the BS...dinan gets the pass from bmw on tuning the car...they worked with bmw of na on it in a similar way alpina got the ok from bmw ag....you are not dealing with tuners who have no relationship with bmw like AA or vishnu....hence a reason why the car doesn't depreciate quite as fast go look up adds for dinan cars for sale they are all more expensive than the the non if you don't believe me esp in all the mags
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
well in the new bimmer mag there is an article how dinan cars are actually worth more on the market than the same non dinan model esp for them being known for reliability and a great warranty and there relationship with bmw na...so people aren't as afraid as the other tuners outh there but a dina ac schintzer or alpina car will always be worth more...i have never heard it disagreed upon in the real world when actually going to buy a car but maybe people talk crap on forums but that is how it goes i guess...one of the bad things about forums and certain media is you have to look through the BS
Take everything you read in magazines with a grain of salt, much like you would with the information on here. There is plenty of BS in those publications as well, such as the information you just shared. IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

trust no one
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I would pay less for a car that had it, because you know the person drove it hard. Like any other modded car, it loses value.
This is not always the case. Certain mods definitely add value particularly if they come along with the removed oem parts such as Big Brake Kits, Coil-over kits and Expensive wheels since it is a simple process to remove the parts and sell them for cash. It is also possible that having the Dinan flash would add value to a 335i if you were selling it to a enthusiast and the car had low milage with warranty remaining.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Semantics aside...

NO, YOU CANNOT SELL A DINAN FLASH. It is locked to the VIN. It is a sunk cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Semantics aside...

NO, YOU CANNOT SELL A DINAN FLASH. It is locked to the VIN. It is a sunk cost.
Man, that's a tough nut to crack. As nice as the product sounds, you really are throwing the $2000 away when you're done with the car (personally, I highly doubt a dealer would throw you more cash for a trade with the Dinan tune). With the piggies, you basically get to enjoy them for free since the demand will likely be there when it gets sold, and the latest maps can simply be dloaded by the new owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Man, that's a tough nut to crack. As nice as the product sounds, you really are throwing the $2000 away when you're done with the car (personally, I highly doubt a dealer would throw you more cash for a trade with the Dinan tune). With the piggies, you basically get to enjoy them for free since the demand will likely be there when it gets sold, and the latest maps can simply be dloaded by the new owner.
You are correct... except for one thing. You forgot to add in "labor" charges for the flash. So, technically you are throwing away like $2400

In any other tuning community, if someone was charging/was charged labor for a flash, they would be ridiculed mercilessly. And rightfully so.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
scooby9
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 BMW 335xi

That is one of the issues with getting an ECU flash. I got a map flashed to my ECU on my WRX however, once it's on there, unless you sell the ECU entirely with the map on it, there is no commodity value. But on the other hand, you may very well be getting one of the most solid go-fast solutions for the N54 today...
      12-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
Take everything you read in magazines with a grain of salt, much like you would with the information on here. There is plenty of BS in those publications as well, such as the information you just shared. IMO
so they guy who spent 20,000 on the dinan supercharger for his M3 (and kept his warenty intack)has no added resale value when trying to sell his car?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
so they guy who spent 20,000 on the dinan supercharger for his M3 (and kept his warenty intack)has no added resale value when trying to sell his car?
Most of these people selling their 335's will not have a warranty any longer(after 50k). If there is still a warranty, then yes, there would be some residual value.

No matter what you say, it is going to be an opinionated discussion....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
You are correct... except for one thing. You forgot to add in "labor" charges for the flash. So, technically you are throwing away like $2400

In any other tuning community, if someone was charging/was charged labor for a flash, they would be ridiculed mercilessly. And rightfully so.
I have a 2007 335i coupe and a 2005 MINI Cooper S. I just had the MINI reflashed with DimSport software and dyno tuned for about two hours. The total cost including dyno time was about $650.00. $2400 for a canned reflash is crazy but if Dinan sells a bunch they priced it right (BMW Economics 101).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #15
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:

If the Dinan flash is like the other ones I have seen, the total labor time is about 60 seconds. You plug the software into the OBD port, hit a few bottons and walk away. You unplug it when it is finished.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Sorry you can resale the Dinan Flash. Here is the ad for the sale:

For sell used Dinan Flash for a BMW 335i. Price $45,780 and the BMW 335i is free.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #17
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
Sorry you can resale the Dinan Flash. Here is the ad for the sale:

For sell used Dinan Flash for a BMW 335i. Price $45,780 and the BMW 335i is free.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #18
jchristena
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2008 335Ci

Dunno if its true or not...

Was talking to my usual salesman yesterday. He said the dealership will actually give you LESS on a trade in because they can't CPO the car. But, if you getting ready to buy another car, who knows. It would seem you could argue that Mercedes would be happy to give you full trade in value...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #19
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristena View Post
Was talking to my usual salesman yesterday. He said the dealership will actually give you LESS on a trade in because they can't CPO the car. But, if you getting ready to buy another car, who knows. It would seem you could argue that Mercedes would be happy to give you full trade in value...
+1. Dinan flash on a lease = forced purchase of car at end of lease.