F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear Ended
Extreme Powerhouse

07-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
meme
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Mineral Grey

Rear Ended

Got rear ended on the freeway. The other guy was switching lanes, the traffic was slow moving, and he says he didn't see me - he admitted that it was his fault. My car is 5 months old, didn't even put plates on yet

The damages are the bumper, small dents in the left quarter panel, left rear light assembly, and the parking sensors which don't work anymore.

I called my insurance and they asked me to bring in it to get it appraised/fixed tomorrow. The body shop my insurance recommends sucks, I got the bumper replaced on my old car there - they replaced it with a refurbished bumper and the paint started chipping off almost immediately. I called my service center to see which body shop they use and the one they recommend have 4.5 stars on yelp.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there any sort of damage I should pay attention to before I get it fixed - frame/mechanical damages which could occur in this sort of collision.

2) Since my car is new, am I entitled to any diminished value ( I'm in California)

3) I have both body and electronics damage (light, parking sensors), so should I go to BMW service or the body shop? How does insurance handle it?
Attached Images

Last edited by meme; 07-09-2014 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: More Questions
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Sorry about that! Glad you are ok. Take it a BMW certified collision center and make sure only new OEM parts are used.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Either go to Costelli & Pardini’s in San Mateo or Superior in San Carlos. The two best body shops in the area...by far.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
meme
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Either go to Costelli & Pardini’s in San Mateo or Superior in San Carlos. The two best body shops in the area...by far.
Costelli & Pardini’s is the dealer recommendation, they seem to have great reviews.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Sorry to hear

If they have to replace the rear QP it's a major job and will have significant impact on the value of your car. You won't know until they tear the car down. You need to see a unibody report to see if the unibody frame is bent. Make sure there is no suspension damage. Definitely OEM parts. And yes you are entitled to DV but every state is different. That won't be negotiated until after the repairs are completed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

People need to quit rear-ending our poor BMW's. I think its a plot.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Got rear ended on the freeway. The other guy was switching lanes, the traffic was slow moving, and he says he didn't see me - he admitted that it was his fault. My car is 5 months old, didn't even put plates on yet

The damages are the bumper, small dents in the left quarter panel, left rear light assembly, and the parking sensors which don't work anymore.

I called my insurance and they asked me to bring in it to get it appraised/fixed tomorrow. The body shop my insurance recommends sucks, I got the bumper replaced on my old car there - they replaced it with a refurbished bumper and the paint started chipping off almost immediately. I called my service center to see which body shop they use and the one they recommend have 4.5 stars on yelp.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there any sort of damage I should pay attention to before I get it fixed - frame/mechanical damages which could occur in this sort of collision.

2) Since my car is new, am I entitled to any diminished value ( I'm in California)

3) I have both body and electronics damage (light, parking sensors), so should I go to BMW service or the body shop? How does insurance handle it?
You have the right to get your car fixed at the body shop of your choosing. If you haven't already, make sure you give your statement to your insurance company, and be sure to include that the other party admitted fault for the accident (especially if you are in a no fault state).

1.) Make sure the body shop checks for frame damage. They should also be able to include their frame measurements and the acceptable values from BMW.

2.) If you own the vehicle, yes.

3.) Following the necessary replacement, they should verify all electronics should be in working order, and they should be covered under their repair warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
meme
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
You have the right to get your car fixed at the body shop of your choosing. If you haven't already, make sure you give your statement to your insurance company, and be sure to include that the other party admitted fault for the accident (especially if you are in a no fault state).

1.) Make sure the body shop checks for frame damage. They should also be able to include their frame measurements and the acceptable values from BMW.

2.) If you own the vehicle, yes.

3.) Following the necessary replacement, they should verify all electronics should be in working order, and they should be covered under their repair warranty.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Sorry to see that, but glad nobody was hurt. The posters above said everything I was going to
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Wow, sorry to see that. Is that the 101 just west of the 405? That's my commute. Only I don't take the freeway in the morning rush. Surface streets much better for me.

I have had excellent repairs at Marco's Autobody. Extremely good folk. Stay away from Precision Autobody. They were a nightmare the last time I used them for my E46 325i.
      07-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily View Post
If they have to replace the rear QP it's a major job and will have significant impact on the value of your car. You won't know until they tear the car down. You need to see a unibody report to see if the unibody frame is bent. Make sure there is no suspension damage. Definitely OEM parts. And yes you are entitled to DV but every state is different. That won't be negotiated until after the repairs are completed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I agree with this post, the rear quarter panel is by far the worst body panel to have damaged other than the roof. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
meme
Private
Rep

Just dropped the car off at the service center, the initial estimate is $5000 from the body shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
meme
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Wow, sorry to see that. Is that the 101 just west of the 405? That's my commute. Only I don't take the freeway in the morning rush. Surface streets much better for me.

I have had excellent repairs at Marco's Autobody. Extremely good folk. Stay away from Precision Autobody. They were a nightmare the last time I used them for my E46 325i.
It's near San Francisco airport
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
Tom888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Quote:

I have a few questions:

Sorry to hear about the accident. At least you're not injured. I was in a similar situation when my F32 that I got in December were hit on the driver side fender/wheel/bumber 3 months after I got it. It was out of commission for nearly 2 months due to waiting on parts (whole driver side suspension had to be replaced). Like many above have said, you are entitled to bring your car to any shop your choosing, so bring it to a BMW certified repair/body facility if you can. In terms of the insurance, let the body shop deal with them. If your insurance (or the other party's insurance) has already given you a repair estimate, just give it to the body shop and they will work around those numbers. If they think the repair will cost more, they will contact the ins company and ask for a subsidize (happens quite often because once the bumper comes off, there could be more damages).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
meme
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom888 View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. At least you're not injured. I was in a similar situation when my F32 that I got in December were hit on the driver side fender/wheel/bumber 3 months after I got it. It was out of commission for nearly 2 months due to waiting on parts (whole driver side suspension had to be replaced). Like many above have said, you are entitled to bring your car to any shop your choosing, so bring it to a BMW certified repair/body facility if you can. In terms of the insurance, let the body shop deal with them. If your insurance (or the other party's insurance) has already given you a repair estimate, just give it to the body shop and they will work around those numbers. If they think the repair will cost more, they will contact the ins company and ask for a subsidize (happens quite often because once the bumper comes off, there could be more damages).

I took it to the BMW service center, they have a body shop office at the facility. I need to follow up and make sure they put on new parts, my old car got a refurb bumper at a insurance recommended shop, so I made sure I didn't go to a Geico recommended shop this time around.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
Tom888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 M50i

Quote:
I took it to the BMW service center, they have a body shop office at the facility. I need to follow up and make sure they put on new parts, my old car got a refurb bumper at a insurance recommended shop, so I made sure I didn't go to a Geico recommended shop this time around.
They should be using OEM parts. I had the same concern when my car got hit. My insurance told me that they use "formulas" to determined if aftermarket parts should be used. Since my car was so new, there was no way they were going to use aftermarket parts. Your car is only a couple months old, I would expect the same thing to happen. I have a different insurance company (Progressive) but I'm sure they all use similar methods.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Just dropped the car off at the service center, the initial estimate is $5000 from the body shop.
wow
Appreciate 0