E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clutch noise help :(

07-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Clutch noise help :(

So my clutch started making shuddering noises everytime I pressed it, would do until about half way and then nothing. It disappeared after a while so left it and now it's back. Took it to my local garage and they said the flywheel has gone and I should replace the clutch. They estimate about £900, is this about right?
They did say we'll have to take it apart and make sure so is it possible that it could be anything else which could be less costly to sort out :/
All help and suggestion appreciated

Last edited by GOWRIN; 07-09-2014 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
basim07
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330i & E90 330D

Clutch release bearing or DMF
Got the same on my car... 4 months now and it still hasn't knackered completely so you can drive for a bit if your strapped for cash just avoid holding clutch down for long periods, especially at lights leave it in neutral

If it's the clutch release bearing then get a clutch kit but the majority of the cost is the labour so I doubt itl be a cheap fix
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Yup, most likely clutch release bearing, you'll be doing the clutch too as it's a kit, so either way it will fix it.

Mines doing it, just cutting down on unnecessary trips, not feeding the clutch too much, no sitting clutch up in gear, planning gear changes to minimise clutch action.

I'm doing flywheel and gearbox oil at the same time for peace of mind. Friend works at a garage so it's costing £600 all in.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Boz335i
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Lucky you have a RWD car, so a lot less labour involved, just paid for clutch and flywheel on an Audi - £2000
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Once the car is rolling there isn't much noise, but more when in lower gears or driving slowly or a complete stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basim07 View Post
Clutch release bearing or DMF
Got the same on my car... 4 months now and it still hasn't knackered completely so you can drive for a bit if your strapped for cash just avoid holding clutch down for long periods, especially at lights leave it in neutral

If it's the clutch release bearing then get a clutch kit but the majority of the cost is the labour so I doubt itl be a cheap fix
The clutch kit is a 1/4 of the price of the DMF, I had other plans for the car but now I might have to deal with this Mine has only been doing this a couple weeks or so now, but the garage said if I carry on it can damage the gearbox I think :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Yup, most likely clutch release bearing, you'll be doing the clutch too as it's a kit, so either way it will fix it.

Mines doing it, just cutting down on unnecessary trips, not feeding the clutch too much, no sitting clutch up in gear, planning gear changes to minimise clutch action.

I'm doing flywheel and gearbox oil at the same time for peace of mind. Friend works at a garage so it's costing £600 all in.
So possibly just changing the clutch should do the job and not likely to be the DMF? Garage wants to take it apart to make sure anyway, been trying to do less gear changes to avoid further damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz335i View Post
Lucky you have a RWD car, so a lot less labour involved, just paid for clutch and flywheel on an Audi - £2000
Yes I did read your post and got worried about the costs and took it to the garage. That is a lot, I feel your pain!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
qa15ar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

i have the same problem, been doing it for over a year but only does it when its cold, not affecting driving at all,
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Iyrix
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d & 335i

Mine was the DMF, it took a year of the noise to get really bad. When i took it off it was on it's last legs. You'll know when the noise is bad and needs doing. The faint noise when you half press the clutch is not that bad. Car did 100k and the clutch was still in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

The thing is you're paying for the labour to get the box out, you may as well get it all done if you can afford it.

It could be the flywheel but I'd want to say it's the release bearing personally.

As said I'm changing it all, but my cars done 175k so it's not unexpected costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

There doesn't seem to be a simple way to upload a video but found something similar.

Quote:
The thing is you're paying for the labour to get the box out, you may as well get it all done if you can afford it.

It could be the flywheel but I'd want to say it's the release bearing personally.

As said I'm changing it all, but my cars done 175k so it's not unexpected costs.
My car is reaching 140k, I've driven it 20k in the last 6 months with no problems. I'd be happy if it was a cheaper fix, just wanted to try get as much out of it before spending all that money :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyrix View Post
Mine was the DMF, it took a year of the noise to get really bad. When i took it off it was on it's last legs. You'll know when the noise is bad and needs doing. The faint noise when you half press the clutch is not that bad. Car did 100k and the clutch was still in good shape.
Mine isn't so faint, it is similar to the video. It sounds like putting rocks in a can and shaking it (sorry hard to describe), I would say the noise is quite loud, a month or so of this noise so far. I could put up with it if it would last that long. Drives fine and no issues changing gears apart from the noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine was the clutch release bearing starting to collapse and just the clutch being worn in general, contact patch was fine but had a lot of play in.

Flywheel was worn too but probably not the source of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

My 320d also does the same

Started feintly at around 73k miles

Still going strong at 88k miles. Noise has increased slightly but not to the point of changing.

I will be uprating it when i change as i like things to be fit and forget.
Only uprated clutch i can find at the minute is the sachs sre. Not many make clutches for the e90 320d m47.

I wondered if the older e46 shared the same clutch as the early m47 320d 163bhp engine
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Could this be a problem caused or not helped by the clutch delay valve ?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Apparently the CDV does not help matters. Increases wear apparently. I will also be binning this stupid design
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #14
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine started 3 weeks ago, and was loud enough by today for pedestrians to look at my car in traffic as I dip the clutch to put it in gear and pull away.

I genuinely don't think I could drive much more than the 1000 miles I have done since the sound started.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

CDV will only effect wear etc if being very harsh on clutch or launching it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Like the others have said really we do a fair few clutch/DMF they are sadly common on the 330d 320d and alike, the clutch kits come complete then you need a flywheel, LUK make the gen BM kit you can sometime hook up a good deal at Euros for example.
      07-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
My 320d also does the same

Started feintly at around 73k miles

Still going strong at 88k miles. Noise has increased slightly but not to the point of changing.

I will be uprating it when i change as i like things to be fit and forget.
Only uprated clutch i can find at the minute is the sachs sre. Not many make clutches for the e90 320d m47.

I wondered if the older e46 shared the same clutch as the early m47 320d 163bhp engine
Yes I would be interested in an uprated clutch, looked around but couldn't find much. I did see the sachs one but was quite expensive IMO.
Quote:
Mine started 3 weeks ago, and was loud enough by today for pedestrians to look at my car in traffic as I dip the clutch to put it in gear and pull away.

I genuinely don't think I could drive much more than the 1000 miles I have done since the sound started.
Yeah if I hold my 1/4 way down it is loud enough for people on the road and continues to rattle but it is a noticeable noise now. But I have driven 1500 miles and everything is fine apart from the noice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Like the others have said really we do a fair few clutch/DMF they are sadly common on the 330d 320d and alike, the clutch kits come complete then you need a flywheel, LUK make the gen BM kit you can sometime hook up a good deal at Euros for example.
Yeah I found some LUK ones online for 450, clutch and flywheel which is the best price I've seen. I think I will see how long it will last before it gives up on me. It was either go on holiday or clutch...
Appreciate 0