E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 front LCAs and alignment pin removal - effect on wheel fitment?

07-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

M3 front LCAs and alignment pin removal - effect on wheel fitment?

I'm planning to get aggressive offset wheels and cut it pretty fine with guard rubbing.

Has anybody got first hand experience of the difference between 100% stock and M3 FLCAs as well as alignment pin removed and tops maxed out inward. I'd imagine both mods would roughly cancel each other out in terms of the positioning of the top of the wheel?

Cheers,

Brad
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
not an expert but I've done both of these and here are my beliefs:

pulling the alignment pin should not change the fitment near the strut, as the wheel should move with the change in the strut angle. Pulling the pin and pushing the strut inward should create some extra clearance for fender fit.

adding the M3 wishbone doesn't change the positioning of the strut, but it does change the positioning of the wheel hub, pushing the bottom of the hub out and causing the top of the hub to move in (all relative to the strut). So it seems to me that you may loose a small amount of clearance to the strut, when you do the M3 wishbone. You will be adding clearance to the fender side.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
not an expert but I've done both of these and here are my beliefs:

pulling the alignment pin should not change the fitment near the strut, as the wheel should move with the change in the strut angle. Pulling the pin and pushing the strut inward should create some extra clearance for fender fit.

adding the M3 wishbone doesn't change the positioning of the strut, but it does change the positioning of the wheel hub, pushing the bottom of the hub out and causing the top of the hub to move in (all relative to the strut). So it seems to me that you may loose a small amount of clearance to the strut, when you do the M3 wishbone. You will be adding clearance to the fender side.
This is incorrect.

With both modifications, the clearance to the strut never changes.

But the top of the wheel will move into the wheel well quite a bit!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
This is incorrect.

With both modifications, the clearance to the strut never changes.

But the top of the wheel will move into the wheel well quite a bit!
okay, help me out with that. If the strut stays fixed at the top and the wheel moves into the well quite a bit, isn't the wheel moving closer to the strut? or is both strut and hub moving with the change in control arm length?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
doogee
Major
Rep

Yup! Both the hub and strut move exactly the same together.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Yup! Both the hub and strut move exactly the same together.
thanks for that.

Sorry OP for the misinformation.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

With the pin removed, is camber all over the place as the car moves? Or will it be set to one setting specifically with the pin removed?
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO View Post
With the pin removed, is camber all over the place as the car moves? Or will it be set to one setting specifically with the pin removed?
for daily driving, my camber was stable, no noticeable movement with the pin removed. I'm now on camber plates, same comment. Camber plate vendor claims positioning should be stable as long as top mount fasteners are torqued properly, my guess would be same for the oem top hats. I don't know if high stress driving (tracking) would cause any change.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
thanks for that.

Sorry OP for the misinformation.
actually I think you were right...

suppose the alignment pin is NOT changed and the strut remains fixed. adding the M3 wishbone and control arm increases negative camber by moving the bottom of the wheel outward, and the top of the wheel inward.

that is the only way to increase negative camber without moving the strut mounting location. So the top of the tire has to move inward, decreasing strut clearance a bit.

there is no other way around this. removing the alignment pin, and sliding the strut mount inward moves the entire assembly together (clearance is not affected). but changing the arms, changes the angle of the hub which will affect strut-tire clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
actually I think you were right...

suppose the alignment pin is NOT changed and the strut remains fixed. adding the M3 wishbone and control arm increases negative camber by moving the bottom of the wheel outward, and the top of the wheel inward.

that is the only way to increase negative camber without moving the strut mounting location. So the top of the tire has to move inward, decreasing strut clearance a bit.

there is no other way around this. removing the alignment pin, and sliding the strut mount inward moves the entire assembly together (clearance is not affected). but changing the arms, changes the angle of the hub which will affect strut-tire clearance.
No! lol.

The strut is bolted the the spindle and is in a fixed position. Take an actual look at the suspension to understand. The angle of the hub NEVER changes.

The ONLY way to change the strut to wheel clearance would be to bend the strut.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
doogee
Major
Rep

As you can see the strut (Yellow arrow) slides into the spindle. When changing the control arm (A), the entire assembly moves outwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

ah, so the strut pivots at the top as well then.

I guess I'm too used to my other cars with both upper and lower control arms, which the E90 does not have.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
ah, so the strut pivots at the top as well then.

I guess I'm too used to my other cars with both upper and lower control arms, which the E90 does not have.
Yes sir
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
thanks for the benefit of the doubt mike-y, but I'm now persuaded on the "no change in strut clearance" aspect. I looked at realoem so yes strut and wheel carrier are fixed, and that is consistent with no loss of clearance.

but then...wouldn't you think that the top of the wheel is coming out as well...unless the very top of the strut is moving inward while top hat stays fixed? ...or what else gives?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
doogee
Major
Rep

The strut articulates in the strut mount. Think of it like a swing. I supposed you could argue the top might come outwards a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Longer control arms obviously prodominantly move the bottom of the wheel out but also the top slightly as well (anything below the strut mount linearly from 0).

The reason for my post is to make sure that sliding the tops in as far as the factory slots go will move the wheel tops in more than the amount the M3 LCAs move them out. Outer clearance is my concern and I'm aware that the strut/knuckle/hub/wheel is all fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #17
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Longer control arms obviously prodominantly move the bottom of the wheel out but also the top slightly as well (anything below the strut mount linearly from 0).

The reason for my post is to make sure that sliding the tops in as far as the factory slots go will move the wheel tops in more than the amount the M3 LCAs move them out. Outer clearance is my concern and I'm aware that the strut/knuckle/hub/wheel is all fixed.
Sliding the strut mount should make up the difference! I'd say you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post

I suspect that sliding the tops in move the wheel more (from visual) but I didn't measure to know for sure.

I now have camber plates at -2 camber up front. That definitely shows up visually as additional clearance. I'm 18" 9" wheels up front ET31 with 245/35/18 Conti DW and have plenty of clearance....I think I could easily go 255s on beefier tires with this amount of camber.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
for daily driving, my camber was stable, no noticeable movement with the pin removed. I'm now on camber plates, same comment. Camber plate vendor claims positioning should be stable as long as top mount fasteners are torqued properly, my guess would be same for the oem top hats. I don't know if high stress driving (tracking) would cause any change.
Camber pins removed, no M components installed, tracked car. No change in position of upper strut mounts/top hat after hard driving. struts were located all the way against the inboard slotted ends when I replaced struts last month.
Appreciate 0