E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tesco 99

07-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
K9ANY
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Tesco 99

I've used this fuel in my previous cars no problem. Filled the 330i to the brim last week with it and after about 4 miles my emissions light came on. Car felt sluggish. Used the full tank and re-filled with Optimax within a few miles the emissions light went off and car felt normal again.

Must have been a bad batch of Tesco 99 fuel.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

My 335i ran rough on tesco 99 too.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9ANY View Post
I've used this fuel in my previous cars no problem. Filled the 330i to the brim last week with it and after about 4 miles my emissions light came on. Car felt sluggish. Used the full tank and re-filled with Optimax within a few miles the emissions light went off and car felt normal again.

Must have been a bad batch of Tesco 99 fuel.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?
like it was a few years ago when they were diluting it with water! have to say I always used it in my 330i and never had a problem, still use it in the bike, same goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i N54 jb4

Tesco momentum is full of chemicals to make the 99 octane criteria, no where near as good a vpower
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

My understanding is Shell gets it 99 Ron through refining but Tesco is via adding Ethanol ?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

My 335i loves the tesco juice.

WM
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

My car is fine with Tesco 99 but I do prefer Shell Nitro.

I try to avoid BP ultimate as my car doesn't seem to like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

It was interesting that at one point places like Thorney MotorSport openly endorsed the stuff but later retracted that endorsement openly on their website. Today of course Mr Plato and co are doing a better job of getting the publicity across.

Me I'd always stick with the big 3 Esso, BP, Shell we see a lot of cars in with issues for various reasons when we ask we get the same answers, Supermarket fuel used and in many cases running the car far too low on fuel, both of which we can see on our diagnostic machine showing as a trigger for fuel quality and tank too low tank vent activation. Seen enough cars through our workshop with issues to say I'd if at all possible not fuel my car at a Supermarket, but the interesting thing is a lot of the fuel comes from the same refinery, however according to a couple of customers of mine w.honwork at the Buncefield refinery there's a difference in the higher octane stuff that warrants it's purchase.

It's interesting though that some cars report a dislike for one fuel type where others with the same car say the opposite... I guess it's an exact science...
      07-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
It was interesting that at one point places like Thorney MotorSport openly endorsed the stuff but later retracted that endorsement openly on their website. Today of course Mr Plato and co are doing a better job of getting the publicity across.

Me I'd always stick with the big 3 Esso, BP, Shell we see a lot of cars in with issues for various reasons when we ask we get the same answers, Supermarket fuel used and in many cases running the car far too low on fuel, both of which we can see on our diagnostic machine showing as a trigger for fuel quality and tank too low tank vent activation. Seen enough cars through our workshop with issues to say I'd if at all possible not fuel my car at a Supermarket, but the interesting thing is a lot of the fuel comes from the same refinery, however according to a couple of customers of mine w.honwork at the Buncefield refinery there's a difference in the higher octane stuff that warrants it's purchase.

It's interesting though that some cars report a dislike for one fuel type where others with the same car say the opposite... I guess it's an exact science...
this is a point when comparing fuel prices diesel v petrol.. ive always thought that normal unleaded is crap and the real petrol is superunleaded, when this is accepted diesel and petrol are the same price so diesels are cheaper to run.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Edinnit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
this is a point when comparing fuel prices diesel v petrol.. ive always thought that normal unleaded is crap and the real petrol is superunleaded, when this is accepted diesel and petrol are the same price so diesels are cheaper to run.
Untill your swirl flaps fall inside your turbo and the DPF clogs up :P

Put a full tank of V-power in mine for Festival of speed. Ran it down pretty low and the EML light came on on Friday. Went off when I stopped the car now its got shell in.

Didnt think anything off the fuel, but ill keep an eye on it and use shell for a while...
      07-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #11
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
My understanding is Shell gets it 99 Ron through refining but Tesco is via adding Ethanol ?
I feel like I have read a report that states this. Not sure though. But yeah you'd imagine being tesco they'd get the octane up the cheap way rather than the best way.
Appreciate 0