E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just completed front bearing replacement xi....forgot to put retaing clip back. FML.

07-04-2014, 01:30 AM   #1
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Just completed front bearing replacement xi....forgot to put retaing clip back. FML.

A few seconds after finishing pressing the hub into the new bearing I look down and see the fucking clip on the floor under a pile of greasy rags.

I absolutely disgusted with myself. Now I get to do it all over again and destroy a brand new bearing in the process. Awesome.
      07-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hey bud,

That's shitty, you're a trooper for DIY'ing though. Props. BTW, im tuned now So badass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
A few seconds after finishing pressing the hub into the new bearing I look down and see the fucking clip on the floor under a pile of greasy rags.

I absolutely disgusted with myself. Now I get to do it all over again and destroy a brand new bearing in the process. Awesome.
      07-04-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
Hey bud,

That's shitty, you're a trooper for DIY'ing though. Props. BTW, im tuned now So badass!
Right on!! What did you go with? PTF? E40? It is addicting!!! What's next?

Thanks for the kind words. I have DIY'd everything I can possibly do. Coilovers and camber plates, valve cover and gasket, oil filter housing gasket, fmic, brakes, vaccum lines, RB PVC valve, vanos, OCC, retro'd my AT non paddle to MTech wheel and Pre lci to LCI paddles (had to solder/jump resistors inside the paddles and also run a wiring harness from the shifter console to the steer column, trim wrap, installed new OEM matte window trim, differential flush front and rear, installed M3 rep front bumper, black lines, Jb4 (Cobb PTF now). AC recharge via full manifold setup (proper method).

The wheel bearing job on an xi is a PITA! Studied long and hard for this. Bought all the tools including an AWD bearing puller/press kit, slide hammer axle and hub puller, sveral new wrenches and tools. I can now do app four corners and after tonight's job I should be able to do them in a couple hours easy.

It is fun to get to know the car, save tons of money and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless!

I was so pumped when I got the bearing presses into the knuckle I just kept going with the hub and totally forgot the retaining clip. Total bummer but lesson learned. Projects like this will now be done with some craft paper on the garage floor with each part removed laid on the paper with a sharpie note and order # so I don't fuck up like this. Expensive mistake and total letdown to spend so much time and get it all sewn up then find that mistake.

OK. Rambling like a crack head now. Peace out!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I am going to write up a detailed DIY in the suspension section but here are a few pics of the job. Its not the difficult...just requires a lot of tools and some sore hands/back!
Attached Images

Last edited by stashtrey; 07-04-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm just using an OTS map from COBB Stg 2 Sport. I've read about pro tunes that dial it in custom tailored to your car but Idk much about it. Its been about 7 days though and its pretty great so far. I think e30/40 will be next once I am use to the new power also getting a PE still. That's about all I need then after will come the new m sport bumpers.

Alright man look forward to the write up. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
      07-04-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

That sucks so bad. Hope you have a strong pair of pliers for that circlip as its pretty strong.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

Sounds like my attempt at replacing the water pump on my xi. The DIYs don't mention the big structural beam in the way (on xi, not RWD cars).
Maint: Walnut blast 101k, Trans/T-case Fluid 103k, OFHG 195k
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Wouldn't it have been easier to replace hub and bearing bought installed together?

Just asking as that is what I plan on doing with my bearing issues.
      07-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Wouldn't it have been easier to replace hub and bearing bought installed together?

He has an Xi
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post

I wish!! Due to the xi AWD the bearings are pressed into the strut lower mount/knuckle. It is a major ordeal and dealers rape you on them. I believe the rwd front bearings are 4 bolts once you get the brake/rotor off.

Re: the retaining clip... I had already pulled it. I followed a DIY on YouTube fairoy closely where the guy used harbour fright (ha!) tools. He used a set of their plyers to pull his clip. Unless he edited it out 100x attempts and loads of expletives....he nailed the clip in one shot. Those h-freight plyers are garbage. You are 100% correct....that clip delayed me 2+ hours of having to run to sears to find some crafstman plyers which worked on the 5th attempt....but they barely made it. That clip is a motherfucker!!!

I have to say....I am using the Harbour Freight AWD bearing puller kit and the thing worked flawlessly. You need a 32mm heavy duty open/closed end wrench. I also used my electric impact gun to pull the remains of the bearing, press the bearing into the knuckle and then press the hub into the bearing. Combination of 32mm wrench and impact gun with 30mm on the back end of the bearing puller rod.

This method worked extremely well. Depending on your set of tools you can do this job yourself for the cost of the bearing, new axle nut and the bearing kit ($120+/-). Autozone rents the axle/hub slide hammer kit for free with $50 deposit. I'm going to keep mine as it worked like a charm and comes in a nice hardened plastic case and is good quality!

Will repost a lot of this plus a step by step DIY with my challenges and solutions and exactly what is needed to do it in your garage with minimal cost. Just be prepared for a sore pair of hands and back. My fingers are swollen today and moving around is not high on my priority list today although I'm going to do my driver side to complete the job....then redo the passenger side tomorrow when the parts store is open for the new bearing.

Stay tuned if you're interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
I'm just using an OTS map from COBB Stg 2 Sport. I've read about pro tunes that dial it in custom tailored to your car but Idk much about it. Its been about 7 days though and its pretty great so far. I think e30/40 will be next once I am use to the new power also getting a PE still. That's about all I need then after will come the new m sport bumpers.

Alright man look forward to the write up. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
PE is a great choice!!! I love mine still to this day. I do have to admit I am toying with the thought of finding something exotic like Bastuck or the legendary HKS. Unfortunately the AT makes any exhaust a little annoying at times.

I'd recommend 1000% to get a PTF since you have a Cobb. They will fine tune for your needs. Optimize things, make the tune safe, adjust the throttle type for your preference and driving style. It is an awesome deal. You can go back and forth to refine over and over. They're great guys and I'm 100% satisfied for the reasonable cost.

M sport rear is awesome. I have one but got an M3 front. I'm now going to go Mtech but they're hard to find for Pre lci e90. If anyone knows where to find one please let me know!!
Appreciate 0