E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My fun last 3 weeks, body experts chime in.

07-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
My fun last 3 weeks, body experts chime in.

My E90 sustained a minor rear hit to the rear right, the bumper cover and battery box were damaged, right muffler tip scraped, wheel & tire/alignment/frame rails were not affected.

This incident did require that the battery box be removed and a new one welded in (this is evidentially a "supposed to" crush object), no air bags deployed, pyro device on top of battery did not fire... the car still ran/drove just as it should... until one day before I was to drop it off to the body shop at which point the water pump failed... which is a whole nother issue (CPO when this is all over with)

Anyway, they got the new battery box mounted, welded, sealed, painted etc and we're taking a close look at the right rear quarter panel... as I've seen with any E90 I've looked at, the fuel filler door seems to sag a bit in the lower left but we also noticed just BEHIND the fuel filler door toward the rear bumper there seems to be some "stress" in the panel, you can barely feel it and looking eye level from the tail light down the panel towards the fuel filler you can barely see it. Looking from the doors back and from multiple angles from the front it's barely noticeable.

The body shop believes this is due to how the quarter panel is welded to the body near the fuel filler and believes it was like this to begin with, but I just haven't looked at my own car this closely or others either... so question is do other E90 owners see anything similar? Keep in mind this is the slightest of slight, but I'm a perfectionist. Repainting the quarter panel requires rear glass removal, blending into door and taking apart of lot of things which I'd like to avoid since this panel didn't sustain any paint damage.

thanks guys
      07-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Junior508
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i sport

I would say the same thing the body shop told you. It's normal from factory to have stress around fuel door. From what you said that you can barely feel or see it I would say it's just from factory. Not to brag but I've been doing body for 6 years I've seen many cars have the stressed around fuel doors.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Junior508
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i sport

Have any pics from damage ?
Appreciate 0