E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help, ABS pump and pump connector faults

06-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Hey guys I know there's threads on this but I'm hoping my previous issues could narrow it down.

My inspection is due this month so I need this resolved ASAP!

Trifecta lights came on. My Indy diagnosed it, codes 5DF0 and 5DF1 which is ABS pump and pump connector.

Lights stay on from when I start the car to when I shut it off. They're on all the time, not intermittent like others have said. Turning The car on and off doesn't clear them.

I've searched and found it could be
-bad abs bump/module
-bad wheel speed sensor
-steering sensor.

I had these lights come on before about 2 months ago inducing limp mode but went away after restarting the car until a couple days ago. But no limp this time.

Can anyone help me narrow this down? The fact that the lights are always on makes me think it's the abs pump/module. Is there any way to tell if only one of them needs to be replaced? And if so, which one needs to be replaced?

I know module masters will refurb my module for $150ish where as the pump is $$

Car is an '07 335 with 51k miles on it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

If you don't have a wheel sensor code or a steering angle code then it is the ABS/ DSC/ Brake fault. More than likely it is the Bosch electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump for the module.
There are 3 parts for this system:
electronic module
ABS Bosch electric motor/pump
Aluminum alloy housing containing the valving

What is your manufacture date? It matters and have that available when you call MM. The early E90s like mine they state they can't repair. I pulled my unit replaced it with a new unit, reused the electronic module so that only resetting the codes was needed and bleed the system. However if you don't reuse your old electronic module you will need the new module coded for your VIN.
I repaired my unit after doing more investigation even though MM stated it is not repairable, BS it took me less than an hour following the youtube guide posted by a Brit repairing his motorcycle ABS unit which is the same as ours just different size and programming but same issue.
The problem with my unit and most of these is that the Bosch brushes (2) get gummed up by their own dust which is a graphite brush, cleaning that out and making sure both brushes made contact with the slip ring solved the problem so now I have a spare unit.

If nothing else points to a steering angle sensor or wheel speed sensor than you have a true trifecta fault.

I would certainly verify that this is the case but the codes you posted are the correct ones for the trifecta fault but can also show up with a bad wheel speed sensor or steering angle being off. I would carefully look at your steering angle sensor to be sure that isn't the problem but honestly you should see other codes if it isn't the ABS...
I assume you have seen this DIY but if not this is a nice guide...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600491
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Call me ASAP. 516 9031590. Might be able to help you
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
If you don't have a wheel sensor code or a steering angle code then it is the ABS/ DSC/ Brake fault. More than likely it is the Bosch electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump for the module.
There are 3 parts for this system:
electronic module
ABS Bosch electric motor/pump
Aluminum alloy housing containing the valving

What is your manufacture date? It matters and have that available when you call MM. The early E90s like mine they state they can't repair. I pulled my unit replaced it with a new unit, reused the electronic module so that only resetting the codes was needed and bleed the system. However if you don't reuse your old electronic module you will need the new module coded for your VIN.
I repaired my unit after doing more investigation even though MM stated it is not repairable, BS it took me less than an hour following the youtube guide posted by a Brit repairing his motorcycle ABS unit which is the same as ours just different size and programming but same issue.
The problem with my unit and most of these is that the Bosch brushes (2) get gummed up by their own dust which is a graphite brush, cleaning that out and making sure both brushes made contact with the slip ring solved the problem so now I have a spare unit.

If nothing else points to a steering angle sensor or wheel speed sensor than you have a true trifecta fault.

I would certainly verify that this is the case but the codes you posted are the correct ones for the trifecta fault but can also show up with a bad wheel speed sensor or steering angle being off. I would carefully look at your steering angle sensor to be sure that isn't the problem but honestly you should see other codes if it isn't the ABS...
I assume you have seen this DIY but if not this is a nice guide...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600491

Thanks for the info, I have seen that DIY. My build date is 3/24/2007.

What is MM?

I had the codes pulled with an Autologic unit that my Indy has (bmw master mechanic) so the codes are correct.

I'll check the steering angle sensor though tomorrow.

Last edited by Hokie_BMW; 06-30-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoix View Post
Call me ASAP. 516 9031590. Might be able to help you
Tried calling you. No answer. Texted you
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

MM is module masters...
Your build date may be a problem for them since mine was 3/01/2007 and they stated they could not repair mine...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

OK yeah. I'm going to check my wheel and steering sensors first. If they're ok I'm going to contact BMW NA and file a claim and see if they are willing to help. Apparently for some, they have offered partial compensation.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
warren8959
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328i

Here is a thread I posted in the past on this issue: My car is a 2008 328I. There are at least 4 different ABS hydraulic pumps and control modules used in a 2008 328i. Some can be rebuilt and some can not. I have a 2008, 328i with a 11/2007 build date and the same fault codes you have. My car uses a Teves Mk61. I've not been able to find a rebuilder in the US but did find a rebuilder in England that tells me they can test and rebuild the Teves Mk61 for $300.00 plus shipping. http://www.ecutesting.com/ I just sent my unit to England for testing and repair. By the way, the people at Bavarian Technic tell me that the BT scanner will cycle the hydraulic pump in the 2008 328i. Your build date will determine what unit you have.

UPDATE: I got my ABS hydraulic pump and control module back from http://www.ecutesting.com/ in England, I installed it, bleed the brakes, cleared the fault codes and everything works correctly. Total cost incurred for shipping to England, paying some import VAT tax, getting the unit tested and repaired and shipping back to the USA was just under $500.00 doing the labor myself. Sure beats what it would have cost at the dealer and even an indy as I could not find anyone in this country who could test and rebuild this unit.

If you contact ecu testing they can tell you if your unit is re-buildable.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to contact them given all of my sensors check out. In the middle of summer class finals now so won't get a chance to look at them until after this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

I contacted Module Masters and they told me that it's not on their site yet, but they believe they can fix it but I need to send them the module and pump. Won't be able to send it out for a week and a half of so but I'll report back when I get it back to see if it fixed my issues!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep

Just to update this thread for others dealing with these issues. Module Masters wanted me to send them the module AND pump. This means that you'll need to bleed the whole system when you get it back. If you don't do it yourself, it will cost a lot of $$ in labor to do it. I also found out that the units on the early '07 models have had several issues where the faults come back after being "fixed" by MM. I ended up having it done at the dealer to the tune of $2164!!
Appreciate 0