Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-30-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Test drove the M3 today, some observations (comparing to C63 and M5)

I test drove two different M3s today at the dealerships and wanted to provide some quick observations from my experience, maybe some of you guys will find it useful.

My reference points are stock M5 and stock C63 AMG.

- I expected a quieter exhaust. It is much louder at both idle and driving than M5 and C63. Might be because the cabin is not insulated as well. Definitely gives a great thrill.

- It felt to me like the car is naturally aspirated up until about 3000 RPM. The torque power seemed to kick in above that. (I did try both Sport and Sport+ engine settings)

- Surprisingly comfortable even on rough roads on Comfort suspension setting and 19" tires. On Comfort steering mode, steering is also lighter than M5 in comfort mode and default C63.

- Sakhir orange full leather optically makes the interior seem smaller than full black, maybe because the contrast defines the edges more and it's easier for the brain to observe distance and depth.

- To each his own, colors are subjective, but I didn't like Sahkir interior on this car at all actually (didn't give a luxurious feeling, more gum-like). I changed my order from Sahkir to Silverstone interior quickly.

- Aluminum Blade trim doesn't feel as refined as Hexagon Aluminium (F10) on touch. Slightly cheaper feel. I preferred carbon fiber plastic in this case.

- Very well planted in sharp turns. More than C63 and obviously more than M5.

- Doesn't make those loud exhaust BAM's as M5 does when down/upshifting, which I liked a lot. There is a very nice clunk sound coming out, but not that goosebumps whale-monster-lion "BAM".

- Overall more artificial than C63 in every sense. Mercedes obviously feels purer and smoother, but it didn't entertain me nowhere as much as the M3.

- Overall the drive feels much more wild and more alive than both M5 and C63, in a good sense.

Very fun car! Only regret is that BMW decided to make F8x significantly lower build and material quality than the M5, which has spoiled me a lot.

Last edited by kinimod; 06-30-2014 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0