E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 overheating alarm but temp remain constant

06-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
tilua
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i convertible

E93 overheating alarm but temp remain constant

2008 335i
So I was driving and all of sudden my dashboard coolant light warning appears in yellow than immediately goes to red on the display. The symbol that looks like the thermostat over the water level. My temperature gauge still shows the normal operating temperature.

I pulled over and turn off the engine and let it cool down. A while after I started the engine to see of the cooling fan is still working. It does.

I'm guessing it's a bad water pump? Since the water doesn't circulate, the temp sensor might be taking the reading from the cooler (or stagnant) part of the coolant. Thoughts? Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

temp gauge in our cars is the oil temperature, and while your coolant might be boiling hot, oil will still be reasonably warm. It could be your water pump, I would check for the telltale codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
tilua
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup
temp gauge in our cars is the oil temperature, and while your coolant might be boiling hot, oil will still be reasonably warm. It could be your water pump, I would check for the telltale codes.
Oh that is good to know. I have an OBD reader but could not pull any code for this kinda issue I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
tilua
Private
Rep

Ok so I drove home and let the car cool down. As suggested by others on here, I then open the coolant reservoir cap and start the engine to check if the water pump is still running. It does.

So the only thing left is the thermostat. But I thought thermostat fail open so it shouldn't cause the overheat. Not sure what else to do here.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
What he ^^^ said. Oil temp on gauge. Your water pump is toast or you have s coolant leak somewhere.

Before my pump went out I had the plastic coolant line that runs from the passenger front end across the top of the radiator to the driver front corner....rupture! Its a shitty little plastic tube that connects to good sized rubber coolant hoses. At 80k miles mine was brittle and exploded coolant all over my engine bay...pouring over the fan and spraying it all over everything. Car went from normal to loss of power in a matter of seconds.

Everyone should inspect that tube regularly to ensure it isn't cracking. $10 part that can ruin your engine.
Appreciate 0