E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55-doesn't make boost with jb4 but does with flash

06-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
bojanglos
Rep
Drives: 2011-335-xdrive msport

N55-doesn't make boost with jb4 but does with flash

I am having a problem with the jb4 and not understanding it. Terry told me to post for support so I thought I would post here as well maybe somebody else had this problem.

Thanks here is the link to the main page. All the info is below here.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25589

no kittys
charge pipe
intercooler
BMW performance exhaust
JB4
Water/Meth
cm10
BMS intake

2011-335xi

I have to say the JB4 is an amazing tool with the canbus support but I am a little confused by the boost control. I think the biggest issue is where to find the information about what the features do and understand any of the safety's that have been put in place. I also would be appreciative of a link that explains the software and what everything means without having to search a 1000 pages of forum. That being said I can't reach my target boost in map6. Now I know some will say that is not possible the turbo won't do it but it will I have tuned it using flashes and made 460 whl/tq with 22 PSI and it held it out across boost onset to roughly 5k. So on race gas this is going to be great. Plan use the jb4 to switch between tunes run a nice conservative tune in position 0 or use one of the jb4 tunes and run the monster map at the track or for passing or whatever. Now I thought it might be mechanical so I uninstalled the jb4 and tried the flash and I got my power back so really confused here.

Problem 1- Can't hit my boost target- with jb4- Now obviously the jb4 is using a PID routine but I only see a couple settings wastegate and pid gain now I follow instructions but that doesn't seem to hit my numbers- I am wondering if there is more parameter in hidden menus for the progressive or derivitive. Or should I be adding to the gain. Now I have read somewhere in the 1000 pages that avg ign should be at a certain number- Now I checked and looked at the commanded and actual timing based on the actual map and it is spot on. So hoping there is an easy setting for this.

Problem 2- If I try and run my flash with the jb4 in setting 0 position off it kicks me into a major engine malfunction. This is wreaking my plan and once again I know it isn't my flash because no JB4 and this thing is a bullet so wondering what else I can turn off in the settings to change this.

Now I have looked at the logs and the pwm is not giving me my full boost so is this a result of programming or is there some settings i need to turn off. I tried talking to Terry about it but he told me to ask here. What I would like is a little more technical information so tomorrows dyno and track session are successful. Thanks guys I appreciate this support forum.

I have included my log below.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Had another customer call us yesterday with the exact same issue on his N55. Easily makinf 22+ with a flash only, on the JB4 it would not reach the same boost. uninstalled the jb and boost was back to previous levels. Not exactly sure what the issue is, but you aren't not the only one experiencing it.
Appreciate 0