E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Settings go to Defaults! Has this happened to anyone?

06-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

Settings go to Defaults! Has this happened to anyone?

So, I have a monthly contract where I have to valet park my car daily. I got my car back today & everything was back to defaults. No seat memory, door locks not auto locking, map settings to big screen (where I had the side screen set to trip stats), A/C off, and set to 60 when I turned it on, I had left it at 72, etc... I thought maybe they were playing around with my settings, I looked all around for a "Set to Factory Defaults" that may have accidentally been pressed, but I did not find such a button. I also had some custom coding done, windows up/down with key fob, mirrors, and 5 blink turn signals. I did not test the windows, but the 5 blinks were back to single blink. I know this 5 blink coding gets messed up if you turn the triple turn on/off. I called the garage, but they were not of much help, asking if the battery may have died. I got home, and proceeded to re-code my 5 blinks. I first checked to see the window up/down was working and it was. I pressed the seat memory, and the seat moved, where it did not before. I hooked up to the ECU and read the current coding values. I found where to code the 5 blinks, and it already had a value of 5, so I tested it, and 5 blinks. So, after turning the car off, leaving it sit a while, and turning it back on again, all my settings were back, seat memory and all.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? My best guess is when the valet started my car, somehow it didn't register what key was in it and went to default? I have the 5 blinks programmed for all 3 keys in the ECU, though a 3rd key does not exist. One difference is that they valets, not knowing what cars have comfort access, and which do not, always put the key into the slot in the dash, where I always leave it in my pocket. Could it have not fully recognized the key but still started? The car has not complained that the remote key battery is low.

2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, GoFastBits DV+ - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
sal_park
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 325i manual

Were you by any chance using different keys ? Some things (like cabin temp) are stored in the keys, so different keys can have different defaults...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal_park View Post
Were you by any chance using different keys ? Some things (like cabin temp) are stored in the keys, so different keys can have different defaults...
Well, that's the thing. The wife has the other key, and she has her own seat settings, etc. The other key was 10 miles away at the time, and my key was in the possession of the valet. I wonder if a different BMW key (someone else's parked close by) could have been recognized by the ECU. That would be disturbing. But, as I said, there wasn't a different seat memory, there was NO seat memory. And, from doing the coding, I know that there are places for 3 keys in the ECU, but I wouldn't think the 3rd has ever been used. The car came with 2 keys (purchased 12/13 CPO - about 7 months ago).
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, GoFastBits DV+ - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
SWalters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Garage List
2012 E92 335i  [0.00]
Not sure what causes it, but that same thing has happened to me repeatedly. All I know is, it seems to show up when I have started and stopped the car (ignition, not motion) a few times over a very short period of time. It resets my radio presets, nav display, seat...

But if I leave it alone for a while and come back to it, it's back to normal when I start it again.
Appreciate 0