THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Kicker Substation added to HK Audio System

06-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Kicker Substation added to HK Audio System

Like many of you I was very disappointed with the lack of bass in the HK audio system. I worked with La Jolla Audio here in SD to come with a solution that would maintain 100% factory functionality and maintain a reasonable amount of trunk space while providing the low end grunt that the system needs.

I was presented with a few options such a custom corner enclosure (way out of my budget until a 3rd party company mass produces a solution) and upgrading the subs under the seats (they only promised a 20-25% gain in bass) which was also pricey. They then introduced me to Kicker's 10" Substation which is modular solution so if I ever needed 100% of my trunk it can easily be removed. This option was almost half the cost of the custom enclosure route so I decided to give it go.

Installation:
I do not have too much information regarding this but I will share what I know. The parts used were as follows: Drain Limiting Circuit, Audiocontrol LC2i Factory Amp Interface, Kicker Substation and the woofer grill. They told me that they would be tapping into the one of the under seat woofers to get the signal, I'm assuming by tapping into the line from the amp itself.

The sub itself mounted to the floor using a bracket. Lowering the rear seat will allow removal of the enclosure. All of the wiring, including the power cable, can be removed via quick release clips.

The Substation independent volume control was installed beneath the dash to the right of the steering wheel (pic below).

Control/Operation:
Pretty straight forward. Volume knob controls the sub volume and the bass control on the I-Drive will adjust bass on the the factory system and the Substation. They recommended that I do not go above 60% bass (depending on the type of music) as this would just add noise to the system.

Sound:
This solution definitely adds the lower frequency that this car is lacking. It can shake the car depending on the music and being able to adjust the volume helps with different types of music. Also, now that I don't have to have the bass turned all the way up it allows the HK speakers to really sing.

Criticism:
If I had to gripe about this solution it would that it's not the most visually appealing but I'm not sitting in parking lots blasting my music with the trunk open and the mid range now seems to be lacking a bit.

Overall this was a definite improvement and probably more than what is needed but the independent control allows you to dial in as much as you desire. The modularity of the system is a huge win for me. I may look into a corner mount solution once an "off the shelf" enclosure becomes available but until then this will do the job.

EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

how much did you spend total?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Looks like a great solution. If you don't mind me asking, what was the approximate installed cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep

PM'd you both the total cost.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
Criticism:
If I had to gripe about this solution...the mid range now seems to be lacking a bit.
Your perception of the lacking midrange is correct and was always there. It's now just gotten magnified by the addition of the sub. To me the biggest area of improvement is with the stock speakers in the door and rear deck. The mids are generally way more important to the overall character of the music than the low punch provided by a sub.

Don't get me wrong..both the mids and bottom of the stereo need help, but the mids affect more of the music that's being heard. Maybe popping in a pair of Focals or other high-end speakers will get the midrange into a better space for you.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
Your perception of the lacking midrange is correct and was always there. It's now just gotten magnified by the addition of the sub. To me the biggest area of improvement is with the stock speakers in the door and rear deck. The mids are generally way more important to the overall character of the music than the low punch provided by a sub.

Don't get me wrong..both the mids and bottom of the stereo need help, but the mids affect more of the music that's being heard. Maybe popping in a pair of Focals or other high-end speakers will get the midrange into a better space for you.

good luck!
Agreed. Would the stock amp provide enough juice for the Focals and if so can you suggest a set that would work for this configuration? Hoping not to add any additional amplification if at all possible.

Much appreciated!
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
Agreed. Would the stock amp provide enough juice for the Focals and if so can you suggest a set that would work for this configuration? Hoping not to add any additional amplification if at all possible.

Much appreciated!
I'd start with the stock amp and an upgraded speaker like the Focals. Do a search of the archives here…one of the chaps here had them installed with small spacers to keep them from hitting the door window and was very pleased with the output.

FYI...Transducers like mics and speakers are typically the most important piece in the audio chain and should provide the biggest bang for your buck. I always start by upgrading these stock components and see where things set after that. If you want to goose the power afterwards, you can see what amps are out there. Either way you'll feel secure that you haven't wasted any money by replacing the stock speakers.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd start with the stock amp and an upgraded speaker like the Focals. Do a search of the archives here…one of the chaps here had them installed with small spacers to keep them from hitting the door window and was very pleased with the output.

FYI...Transducers like mics and speakers are typically the most important piece in the audio chain and should provide the biggest bang for your buck. I always start by upgrading these stock components and see where things set after that. If you want to goose the power afterwards, you can see what amps are out there. Either way you'll feel secure that you haven't wasted any money by replacing the stock speakers.

Good luck!
Got it. For reference here's the thread with the Focals: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970561

Much appreciated!
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:

Good luck!
The speakers are not the most important piece in the audio chain, it doesn't matter how good the speakers are if the rest is rubbish, rubbish in, rubbish out
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Why spend $875 dollars on a system just to replace the biggest part of it? I disagree with Steven1077 here. No, speakers are not going to make your low end system sound like a high end system, but if you are going to upgrade one piece of a system to get the absolute maximum sound quality out of it, the speakers are that one piece!
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #11
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Totally agree. All other things equal, speaker upgrades give most bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
The speakers are not the most important piece in the audio chain, it doesn't matter how good the speakers are if the rest is rubbish, rubbish in, rubbish out
As in all systems, the weakest link in the chain is what drags down the overall. Hence your "rubbish in, rubbish out" has some merit.

However, the single biggest piece impacting audio chain is typically the transducer…the thing converting one kind of energy to another. (Speaker, turntable stylus, microphone, cassette deck, etc.). These are typically at the ends of an audio chain.

With rare exception, you can put a great amp, and excellent cables in front of average speakers and get minimal improvement. Replace average speaker with great speakers and connect them to an average amp and cables and you will almost always hear significant improvement.

A great system should always start with great transducers. They convert the energy...

Think engine for horsepower
Think tires for handling

Appreciate 1
      08-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
As in all systems, the weakest link in the chain is what drags down the overall. Hence your "rubbish in, rubbish out" has some merit.

However, the single biggest piece impacting audio chain is typically the transducer…the thing converting one kind of energy to another. (Speaker, turntable stylus, microphone, cassette deck, etc.). These are typically at the ends of an audio chain.

With rare exception, you can put a great amp, and excellent cables in front of average speakers and get minimal improvement. Replace average speaker with great speakers and connect them to an average amp and cables and you will almost always hear significant improvement.

A great system should always start with great transducers. They convert the energy...

Think engine for horsepower
Think tires for handling

Nice explanation
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
jeffs42885
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

I am going to do a similar setup-

LS2I
Soundstream amp
10W7

Which wires did you tap into.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep

Installer told me that they tapped into the wires running to the under-seat subs. Please post some pics of your set up once completed!
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0