E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pothole Damage/Claims

06-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

Pothole Damage/Claims

As some of you will know I fitted my new wheels to the car last weekend...

On Sat night/Sun Morn I hit a sunken manhole/pothole, I had the wheels checked and they are both damaged on the N/S front and rear. Pics Below

Car is vibrating quite a bit so I will need to get it booked in to have the suspension/steering checked.

Couple of questions..

Have any of you had successful claims for this type of damage from your local authority?

From the pictures, do you think these can be repaired?

They look worse in the flesh than the pics show, but I have to say these wheels are very tough as I have never hit something so hard before plus they had runflats on them..

Info/advice greatly appreciated as I will be taking this claim forward.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Gutted for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Are they oem bmw wheels?
Sticky here for all things wheel/claim related.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162

WM
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I claimed for a brand new tyre from the local council.

Had to take photos, measurements and invoice for the tyre.

But they paid up about 8 months later
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Are they oem bmw wheels?
Sticky here for all things wheel/claim related.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190162

WM
Not oem... Thanks will have a read..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawton438 View Post
I claimed for a brand new tyre from the local council.

Had to take photos, measurements and invoice for the tyre.

But they paid up about 8 months later
8 months.......
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysat View Post
Gutted for you.
Cheers pal... Cant even put my old OEM's on as both rears are cracked..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Get photos of the sunken manhole cover.

You need to establish who is responsible for the manhole cover. It might not be the council as the water board etc are responsible for their own.

I hit a sunken manhole cover last year. It put a bulge in a runflat tyre and a flat spot on my rim.

I approached the council who investigated. They told me that Scottish water were the owners of the drain.

Scottish Water accepted fault right away and forwarded the case to their insurer. The insurance company were slow and made every excuse to reduce the pay out.

I finally got the full settlement for the tyre, wheel repair and tracking to be done.

A couple of months ago I hit a pothole and ruined another tyre.

BEAR Scotland are in charge of the A90 and they've been difficult to deal with. I had to chase them up for ages just to even get a claims form.

It takes them a month to reply to each letter.

I was finally offered a full settlement last week. I signed the forms and sent them off.

Hopefully payment will be made soon but it must be about 10 weeks since the process started.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Get photos of the sunken manhole cover.

You need to establish who is responsible for the manhole cover. It might not be the council as the water board etc are responsible for their own.

I hit a sunken manhole cover last year. It put a bulge in a runflat tyre and a flat spot on my rim.

I approached the council who investigated. They told me that Scottish water were the owners of the drain.

Scottish Water accepted fault right away and forwarded the case to their insurer. The insurance company were slow and made every excuse to reduce the pay out.

I finally got the full settlement for the tyre, wheel repair and tracking to be done
Cheers Kerr, I did get some pics, the info regarding who owns the drain could be vital in this then, think I will go back there as I only got pics of part of the manhole and damaged tarmac. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #10
pss335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i GC

I went over a manhole not long after I'd got my car (about a year ago now). The man hole had a fkin ginormous bolt in it that punctured my side wall ... heartbreaking when you need to fork out hundreds of pounds to get a tyre replaced! I wonder whether I could have raised it with the council at the time, or even now? Had too much other stuff going on at the time to think about it!

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 201
Size:  806.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #11
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

I successfully claimed on Surrey County Council for a tyre a few years back but they wanted invoiced evidence of how much I paid, how old the tyre was, what tread was left etc etc. In the end I got £132 of the £192 I paid back. SCC's stance was that they could not put me in a "position of betterment" meaning that I had had use of the tyre for a year and they would only pay me for what was left of the useful life of the tyre.

tossers
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #12
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulla the Hulla View Post
I successfully claimed on Surrey County Council for a tyre a few years back but they wanted invoiced evidence of how much I paid, how old the tyre was, what tread was left etc etc. In the end I got £132 of the £192 I paid back. SCC's stance was that they could not put me in a "position of betterment" meaning that I had had use of the tyre for a year and they would only pay me for what was left of the useful life of the tyre.

tossers
My first claim the water board tried to push my claim down because the tyre was obviously used. Same with the wheel.

As I argued, the bill was one I wouldn't have faced ad I had planned to sell the car soon. This was a bill I wouldn't have had otherwise and selling the car with tyres a few thousand miles newer wouldn't add value to my car.

Same with the wheel. A wheel should outlive the car and is not a serviceable part.

The water board company's insurer were happy with quotations. They finally paid out and I put that money against getting rid of the rest of the runflats at the same time.

BEAR Scotland on the other hand wanted receipts of the repairs I had already paid for.
Appreciate 0