E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > tail light fault

06-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 325i 2007 sgm

Garage List
tail light fault

I've tried searching this but can't find much info, I have a 2007 E92 pre-lci on the drivers side rear light only 1 of the 3 tubes is working, does anyone know what bulb/led's I need, I know I could take it out and look but thats a lot of work just to put back together and take apart again later

Thanks

Tymm
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I was getting a message in the winter time one of my bulbs was out/having issues.

I took out the light assembly (took like 10 minutes), pulled out all the bulbs, cleaned everything out and buttoned it back up in 5 minutes, no more issue.

So you're looking at maybe 15-20minutes of work.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Just go here:
It's Easy, 5 min at the most....also read Below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm

BMW Lights have a Fail safe, rear lights at least.
Example: If the Brake Bulb is Out, it will still give you a Brake light on a different Bulb.
At Least mine did that.
So in order to see which one is not working or working intermittently, you will need to swap and test quite a bit.

DN
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
It's not the brake lights, it's the normal lights, mine is a pre-lci and has 3 strips of light 2 of which don't work
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymm
It's not the brake lights, it's the normal lights, mine is a pre-lci and has 3 strips of light 2 of which don't work
Sorry if I misunderstood.
By chance, can you post a picture?

DN
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Just go here:
It's Easy, 5 min at the most....also read Below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech..._Replacing.htm

BMW Lights have a Fail safe, rear lights at least.
Example: If the Brake Bulb is Out, it will still give you a Brake light on a different Bulb.
At Least mine did that.
So in order to see which one is not working or working intermittently, you will need to swap and test quite a bit.

DN
It's none of them it's 2 of the 3 led main light, I've just checked them bulbs none have blown
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
INS Rebel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe MT

I've had a similar problem. Light would work once in a while and then go out randomly. I tried replacing the plastic fixture that holds the bulbs that didn't work. Ended up having the whole light replaced by BMW. Haven't had a problem since. Was a few hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Now it's getting worse, I took a look yesterday, no bulbs were blown but now I get brake light failure warning, so I got the wife to press the brake everything works as it should, so I swapped the bulbs about but it still says brake light failure?????
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
I can't seem to upload photo's I've tried both from my computer and with photo bucket but it keeps giving me errors, hopefully these links will work

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/tym...05771.jpg.html
http://s761.photobucket.com/user/tym...781-1.jpg.html

you can see the left light cluster has 1 bar and the right light cluster has 3
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
or you can see them on another forum- http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...18208#p1318208
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #11
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

I have some not so good news for you. My E93 is just like yours except all of my outter bands are out. I pulled the assembly and thought the sub assembly was shot. I replaced that which consists of 3 bulbs which cannot be replaced and by the way were not burned out and an orange bulb which does work.

What is going on is that your footwell module (FRM) is causing this. It is located right where the brake master cylinder and ABS are on US cars. There is NO resetting this thing it must be replaced and recoded to your VIN.

Nice design by BMW isn't it. Rather than replacing a bulb or two now you have to go and buy the module (I am planning to do this finding a good used one) and then get it recoded to recognize the VIN.

You need someone to pull your codes but I would be really surprised if this isn't your issue.

Please post what you do to solve your problem so we can all learn...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I have some not so good news for you. My E93 is just like yours except all of my outter bands are out. I pulled the assembly and thought the sub assembly was shot. I replaced that which consists of 3 bulbs which cannot be replaced and by the way were not burned out and an orange bulb which does work.

What is going on is that your footwell module (FRM) is causing this. It is located right where the brake master cylinder and ABS are on US cars. There is NO resetting this thing it must be replaced and recoded to your VIN.

Nice design by BMW isn't it. Rather than replacing a bulb or two now you have to go and buy the module (I am planning to do this finding a good used one) and then get it recoded to recognize the VIN.

You need someone to pull your codes but I would be really surprised if this isn't your issue.

Please post what you do to solve your problem so we can all learn...
Cheers for that löl!!!!

How did you find out about this?
It seems so far wrong it could be right if you know what I mean, I've been trying to find info about this but it seems it's only happened to a few people as nobody is posting anything
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

That or possibly that your tail light was not installed properly and may not be sealed to make sure water from carwash or rain cannot get inside the housing.

My tail light was flickering and acting weird for a few weeks before it finally die. Once I take it out that's when I realize theres water inside and it was not installed properly by the previous owner. Well since I wanted to upgrade to LCI tail lights anyway, I wasn't too upset about it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep

This
http://www.bmwgm5.com/Footwell_Module_Connections.htm
and this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792441
see post 11
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177272

To see how ridiculous BMW made this check the block diagram in this last reference.

Pretty sure that is your issue (as well as mine) and you can purchase a used FRM and get it coded, that is the only good news...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #15
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the info!!

But surely all of my tail lights would not work, I have 1 of them working,
When you opened yours can you remember what size led's it was? I'm going to try this first so it would be good if I could get the replacement led's before I open up the cluster
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Get rid of the Pre Lci and get some Lci tail light.. You want think twice about your old tail lights.
      07-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #17
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
I would rather fix them, plus the cost of lci units ain't cheap, but thanks for the idea, if I can't fix mine I think then i'll get the lci ones, are they a straight swap or would I need them coding?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymm View Post
I would rather fix them, plus the cost of lci units ain't cheap, but thanks for the idea, if I can't fix mine I think then i'll get the lci ones, are they a straight swap or would I need them coding?
There a straight swap...But you will need coding are your turn signal will flash very rapidly when engaged.. Take it to any Indy shop that has an autologic scan tool.
      07-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #19
inspirational
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

There is a LED strip running in the middle as your running light when your turn on your lowbeams.

You have 3 choices really, go to the dealer and ask them to replace it which will cost 330+ and hopefully you have warranty.

The second choice is your remove the light assembly, bake it at 175 deg and open it, and replace the LEDS by hand if you're handy.

Frankly, I'm still debating what to do with mine. I've left it for now because who knows I might just order it from online oem parts for 200$ and replace it myself, which is also your 3rd choice.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep

Rear Tail Lights

I only have the 3 bands on the left tail light assembly and not the inners or anything on the right rear tail light. Here is a picture of the subassembly that isn't working. Mine are not LEDs they are regular small 16W Philips bulbs which are not burned out. Thus the only logic fault is the FRM.

Please post what you come up with...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
Tymm
Private
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I only have the 3 bands on the left tail light assembly and not the inners or anything on the right rear tail light. Here is a picture of the subassembly that isn't working. Mine are not LEDs they are regular small 16W Philips bulbs which are not burned out. Thus the only logic fault is the FRM.

Have you taken the whole light unit off your car and split it in 2 or is this the part you can get at via the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #22
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:

Those bulbs aren't for the light bars, those are your brake light, secondary brake light, and reverse light. The light bars are in fact LEDs, and your FRM is more than likely just fine. The light bar LEDs are integrated into the taillight assembly itself and are not accessible or serviceable. BMW's solution to this issue is to toss the whole assembly and put a new one in.

That being said, there's a little board with LEDs in it located inside the tail light assembly. What's happened is there's corrosion or other damage which can be resolved by either reflowing the board or soldering in new LEDs. Unfortunately the assembly is sealed, and you'll need to either heat it open or cut it open to access it. When you're done, you'll have to be very careful to properly reseal it to ensure it's watertight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymm View Post
See my post above, it'll explain what's going on. Your options are either to replace the whole outer left assembly (pretty easy job, $100 for a used one off eBay) or to try taking it apart and reflowing the inner LED board.