THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Shouldn't BMW pay for the lease payments while the car is on the way?

06-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Shouldn't BMW pay for the lease payments while the car is on the way?

I've made three payments yet only driven the car for 10 days in Europe. It takes so long to ship the car to the West Coast. Seems a bit unfair for me to pay for these 2.5 months while waiting for the car. I know it's not going to happen, but just wondering what you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt View Post
I've made three payments yet only driven the car for 10 days in Europe. It takes so long to ship the car to the West Coast. Seems a bit unfair for me to pay for these 2.5 months while waiting for the car. I know it's not going to happen, but just wondering what you guys think?
You pay the first month. BMW covers the second month. Then you do the rest. That's how it goes. If you paid the second payment then something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Yup that's why your MF is a little higher it's to cover the cost of 1month while your car is on it's way.
Not sure why you paid two payments already.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It does take a while but that's the reason why you want to sign the paperwork as close to your pick up date as possible. I signed for mine a week before pick up. Thus far I have only made one payment because the second one is covered by BMWFS (due 2 days ago). That covers me up to July 19th which is when I expect my car to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
It does take a while but that's the reason why you want to sign the paperwork as close to your pick up date as possible. I signed for mine a week before pick up. Thus far I have only made one payment because the second one is covered by BMWFS (due 2 days ago). That covers me up to July 19th which is when I expect my car to arrive.
I signed my lease one week before pick-up, but that still leaves me 7 wks since I dropped the car off in Munich. I understand BMWFS pays for the 2nd month but why should I pay for the third month when I only have the car for five days? and what about those who got delayed at VPC for more than a month?

I think the fair way to assess this would be to prorate and only pay for the days the car is in your possession.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I signed my lease one week before pick-up, but that still leaves me 7 wks since I dropped the car off in Munich. I understand BMWFS pays for the 2nd month but why should I pay for the third month when I only have the car for five days? and what about those who got delayed at VPC for more than a month?

I think the fair way to assess this would be to prorate and only pay for the days the car is in your possession.
ED people used to pay the second month while in transit. Then they complained so much that bmwfs changed it so that they covered the second month, but increased the interest instead, which adds more over the term than the extra monthly (i.e. they come out ahead). If we keep complaining, maybe they will do the same again and cover the third month, but then we will be stuck with a 0.0006 adder instead of 0.0003, making the total cost even higher than it is now. It can be a pain to pay for something you don't have yet, but the alternative seems worse. You got a car to drive around Europe at significant savings over MSRP including some decent perks. Let it be!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

lol I'm not complaining, just wanted to know more about this. Learning a bit about history is good. Thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Let's be real here guys. He picked the car up in Europe. He owns the car now. It is his car on the boat not BMWs. He should be paying for it.

This is part of the reason why ED is cheaper than US delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your reasoning makes sense, from the consumers' perspective. However, it is what it is because BMW does have expenses to cover. They do pay for our insurance in Europe and such. In the grand scheme of things, a month's payment isn't that much considering the experience you had in Europe (assuming good).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Your reasoning makes sense, from the consumers' perspective. However, it is what it is because BMW does have expenses to cover. They do pay for our insurance in Europe and such. In the grand scheme of things, a month's payment isn't that much considering the experience you had in Europe (assuming good).
It is my understanding that it's cheaper to do ED because BMW gives the consumer the discount (or rebate, however you want to call it) that was given to the dealer if you did US delivery. In that case, it's pretty much the same for BMW whether you do ED or US delivery, correct me if I'm wrong. The only difference is the insurance in Europe, which I doubt is very high for 14 days with BMW's corporate negotiating power.

That being said, it is still a great deal with ED because it's cheaper (not counting the travel expenses) than US delivery and it's a great experience. I would do it again in 3 years
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is my understanding that it's cheaper to do ED because BMW gives the consumer the discount (or rebate, however you want to call it) that was given to the dealer if you did US delivery. In that case, it's pretty much the same for BMW whether you do ED or US delivery, correct me if I'm wrong. The only difference is the insurance in Europe, which I doubt is very high for 14 days with BMW's corporate negotiating power.

That being said, it is still a great deal with ED because it's cheaper (not counting the travel expenses) than US delivery and it's a great experience. I would do it again in 3 years
I'm hoping to do ED again in a few years for an M2 (group buy with Bennu perhaps?). The wait sucks but IMO it is the only way to buy a German car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:

The dealer is still selling the car and preps it once they receive it. I think the dealers are getting their full share of profits. They are doing just as much work as a US delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The dealer is still selling the car and preps it once they receive it. I think the dealers are getting their full share of profits. They are doing just as much work as a US delivery.
It costs more to have them keep the car on the lot, unsold. They don't pay the prep guys a ton of money, so it is negligible. They are not getting trunk money for non-allocated cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90
Quote:

I'm hoping to do ED again in a few years for an M2 (group buy with Bennu perhaps?). The wait sucks but IMO it is the only way to buy a German car.
Yup that's the plan and I'm sticking to it
I will keep the car for the full 14 days this time and drive even more. Now that I've done it already I'm a lot less ignorant about how and where things are. I can't wait. Let's get more people involved for the M2 ED experience in a few years.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
Yup that's the plan and I'm sticking to it
I will keep the car for the full 14 days this time and drive even more. Now that I've done it already I'm a lot less ignorant about how and where things are. I can't wait. Let's get more people involved for the M2 ED experience in a few years.
I am in!! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0