M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

06-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Rpiiii jr. I got to drive the M3 today! Review

I got to drive the m3 today was only able to get it up to 100 but I'm impressed.

First some backstory, I swap cars every 4 months or less [terrible use of money] so when the dealer gave me the pitch that "oh it'll be here May, June, couldn't EVER see it coming in July" I stuck a deposit down because by 5k miles I'd seen everything the M5 had done and wanted smaller.

Time kept churning and started seeing peoples cars moving meanwhile mine sat and finally last week went into production meaning 4-6weeks... Possibly AUG delivery! Beyond pissed started shopping for cars and was all set to move into the GTR [I'm approved at the moment and have a few weeks to decide].

Last night got to drive it and I really enjoyed it[with some things I did not]

Thoughts:
Dct:
I don't know if Dave can back me up, but the DCT even felt a tad more refined then ours. Just a little different, and maybe its butt dyno... but when shifting it almost felt like a built car that made boost after shifting. I totally got the sensation the car was giving a building feeling which I loved.

HK sound:
I tried prem audio settings, and Stealths B&O which both sounded pretty good on the HK F30 in my friends 335i [again no means tailored to the HK], but in this car... I can't put my finger on it, but at higher levels [I'm an obnoxious 20 year old so it will be blasted], it was almost ear piercing and hurt which is something I've never experienced with any car 550i, 335i e90s, prem audio in the m3 nor in the m5 with b&o and the treble and bass maxed out along with stealths settings
Bottom line: I could live with it but I wasn't happy with it

Brakes:
I was worried because I trust the m5 brakes even more than my e92 m3's, and am terrified of how I drive with anything less than perfection lol... These delivered , tailor made to the m3's size with the same insane braking we all have... THEY DELIVER.

Exhaust: Awful... While revving [couldn't go over 3k rpm] sitting it sounds terrible, same as slowly driving around. Buttttt on the flip side windows down, mashing on the accelerator it makes some great burbles from inside the car and kinda shines in that perspective.

Idrive: Everything us 2014+ guys love plus they have redone some of the features [nav perspective layout etc.] I can't tell you word for word, but there are some changes over what we have and they seem to be even better.

Aesthetics: Thats up to you lol nobody can tell you what you like or don't if you don't like it whatever lol. Carbon Fiber looks great, the M light up seats are awesome, the seats are very comfortable and a step up from the E92... Not quite as luxo as what we have but tailor made sport seats in my opinion.

Bottom line: I'm rethinking another car after one test drive, when I was basically done with bmw for a little. I think you guys would be impressed and if I end up staying and not biting on the GTR can't wait to see this thing with JB4, DPs, e85 and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Seems like you were not that impressed.. I would go for the Gtr and mod the F out of it
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Seems like you were not that impressed.. I would go for the Gtr and mod the F out of it
Impressed not much car wise can top what we do lol but intrigued is more like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

So true.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
I got to drive the m3 today was only able to get it up to 100 but I'm impressed.

First some backstory, I swap cars every 4 months or less [terrible use of money] so when the dealer gave me the pitch that "oh it'll be here May, June, couldn't EVER see it coming in July" I stuck a deposit down because by 5k miles I'd seen everything the M5 had done and wanted smaller.

Time kept churning and started seeing peoples cars moving meanwhile mine sat and finally last week went into production meaning 4-6weeks... Possibly AUG delivery! Beyond pissed started shopping for cars and was all set to move into the GTR [I'm approved at the moment and have a few weeks to decide].

Last night got to drive it and I really enjoyed it[with some things I did not]

Thoughts:
Dct:
I don't know if Dave can back me up, but the DCT even felt a tad more refined then ours. Just a little different, and maybe its butt dyno... but when shifting it almost felt like a built car that made boost after shifting. I totally got the sensation the car was giving a building feeling which I loved.

HK sound:
I tried prem audio settings, and Stealths B&O which both sounded pretty good on the HK F30 in my friends 335i [again no means tailored to the HK], but in this car... I can't put my finger on it, but at higher levels [I'm an obnoxious 20 year old so it will be blasted], it was almost ear piercing and hurt which is something I've never experienced with any car 550i, 335i e90s, prem audio in the m3 nor in the m5 with b&o and the treble and bass maxed out along with stealths settings
Bottom line: I could live with it but I wasn't happy with it

Brakes:
I was worried because I trust the m5 brakes even more than my e92 m3's, and am terrified of how I drive with anything less than perfection lol... These delivered , tailor made to the m3's size with the same insane braking we all have... THEY DELIVER.

Exhaust: Awful... While revving [couldn't go over 3k rpm] sitting it sounds terrible, same as slowly driving around. Buttttt on the flip side windows down, mashing on the accelerator it makes some great burbles from inside the car and kinda shines in that perspective.

Idrive: Everything us 2014+ guys love plus they have redone some of the features [nav perspective layout etc.] I can't tell you word for word, but there are some changes over what we have and they seem to be even better.

Aesthetics: Thats up to you lol nobody can tell you what you like or don't if you don't like it whatever lol. Carbon Fiber looks great, the M light up seats are awesome, the seats are very comfortable and a step up from the E92... Not quite as luxo as what we have but tailor made sport seats in my opinion.

Bottom line: I'm rethinking another car after one test drive, when I was basically done with bmw for a little. I think you guys would be impressed and if I end up staying and not biting on the GTR can't wait to see this thing with JB4, DPs, e85 and exhaust.
I was in same boat to get M4 once out and I haven't even test driven it yet but can tell will like driving it and power won't be my issue but finish -
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I was in same boat to get M4 once out and I haven't even test driven it yet but can tell will like driving it and power won't be my issue but finish -
I feel like and maybe RpI can back me up but you lose the actual numbers that prove speed I.E. m5/m6, but you gain the feeling like its faster lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Hey sorry I didn't see this post before. Yeah it's a good car and believe it's greatest strengths are being a better all-arounder car with great track performance. It's really not a car that is focused in any one particular area, although M did a fantastic job making it better at well, almost everything. Kind of like a jack of all trades, master of none. M5 is the same way but does it all better.

Here's a few examples I've come up with in my head for direct comparisons:

If you want an all-around car that you take to the track and still kill other seemingly focused cars, but with great utility for cargo storage, decent comfort for daily drivability, good technology, and enough luxury to satisfy your basic needs then: BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4.

But if you want a car with better track performance, more race car purity, and more luxury but less utility and technology then: Porsche 981 Cayman-S/GTS

But if you want a car with a direct track focus with almost no utility and no technology and for less money then: Alpha Romeo 4C

But if you want a car with extreme sports car looks and awesome track performance for the money with not so much luxury, utility, or technology then: Vette C7

But if you want a car with excellent track performance, tons of luxury, tons of comfort, tons of technology, and tons of utility then: BMW M5

What the M3/M4 fails at is being an extremely focused car. It's not a car focused on luxury, it's not a car focused on comfort, it's not a car focused on high performance either. Instead it does all of those things well, but it's not focused on any one area.

It will be interesting to see where the new Mercedes C63 AMG / AMG GT lands and how it performs with it's new (copied from the BMW S63tu engine design) Twin Turbo 4.0L V8 does against the new M3 and M4. There's still no reports on how or if AMG is going to use Carbon Fiber in the next generation C63, but that new engine will have massive tuning potential and already makes a lot more power out of the box than the S55 engine.

I'm personally waiting to see what Cadillac offers with their new ATS-V coming out. I'm willing to bet it's going to give the M3/M4 a serious run for it's money.

Top Gear quotes the M4 as being synthetic, which until now, I hadn't even considered that word when describing the M4, but it makes perfect sense now.

To me the M5 has an excuse for seeming and feeling so "soul-less" (in stock form I mean), because it really is a luxury autobahn cruiser and that's always been part of it's ///Mission, but the M4 doesn't have an excuse. The M3 and M4 are supposed to be the exciting sports car from M, they may have missed some part of that this time. It does feel "synthetic" now that I think about it.

Where as the review of the Vette C7 Stingray, is almost the complete opposite feeling.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003069

Last edited by RPiM5; 06-26-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
To me the M5 has an excuse for seeming and feeling so "soul-less" (in stock form I mean), because it really is a luxury autobahn cruiser and that's always been part of it's ///Mission, but the M4 doesn't have an excuse. The M3 and M4 are supposed to be the exciting sports car from M, they may have missed some part of that this time. It does feel "synthetic" now that I think about it.

Where as the review of the Vette C7 Stingray, is almost the complete opposite feeling.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1003069
I feel like the c63 will leave the m4 in the dust... Especially once they open up tunes with the likes of renntech on a 4l twin turbo amg v8...
Appreciate 0