E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Touring opinions please...

06-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Touring opinions please...

Well, life has taken a turn for some reason and my beloved f10 needs to go, as I've got 30k cash in it and needs must. Bummer.

So, need a new family wagon and thinking about changing to a UK sourced (I live in Amsterdam now) touring as they're half price in the UK compared to here. 8 years old plus and I can import it for free as the import duties here are hideous.

So, I'd like a 6 cylinder so 325 or 330 as I don't want the issues of the turbo petrols, does the n52 have any major issues save the usual coil packs? Been there with the n53 engine (had an 08 plate e93 and an 09 e92) and of course at this time n53 not an issue, seems as if the n52 has issues with air in the oil valves etc but this doesn't seem to bother a lot of people? Already had crap build up in the valves of the n53 but n52 doesn't have this issue due to the design.

Thinking of a well spec'd M-sport with as low a mileage as possible, not fussed manual or auto :-)

Any other major issues with the touring as they age?

Will be nice to be back in the e90 camp; always loved mine and to be honest the f10 is too damn big, especially in a town like Amsterdam.

Thanks all!

James
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

I think the only issues you'll have with the N52 engine will be age related now and applicable to all models. Usual leaks around valve cover, oil filter etc. Water pumps go around 60k. Carbon build up doesn't appear to be a problem though. Noisy lifters, especially during colder weather can be an issue for some but isn't a detrimental problem.

I will say I've had a torque convertor replaced and the head gasket done due to snapped head bolts, the latter covered independently of the bmw warranty by bmw themselves (google n52 snapped head bolts). I wouldn't run it without some kind of warranty.

At that age I'd guess any car would be due a suspension refresh so something to budget for perhaps.

I think I'll be running mine into the ground. It's a bit thirsty but the engine is so refined and has plenty of power for me, that for a family taxi there isn't much else that I would choose over it.
Appreciate 0