E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Taking a bmw to college?

06-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
nick01234
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i 6sp MT

Taking a bmw to college?

As the title stated, what are your opinions on taking a bmw to college?

I will admit that my parents bought the car for me. I do pay for the insurance and all the mods though. Mods include tint, vmr v718s, lux angel eyes, smoked side markers, led turn signals, cf emblems, black grills, debaged. The car has been excellently maintained, professionally detailed, and garage kept . I take extremely good care of the car.

That being said, I am a senior in high school and am thinking about college. I am looking to go to school in North Carolina. I have a 1997 jeep wrangler which I fixed up and plan to take that to college during the winters. My parents want me to sell the car because they feel it would just get too beat up at a college parking lot. If I was to sell the car, I would take the money I got from selling the bmw and most likely get a newer jeep. I would lift the jeep and put rock guards on it, this would prevent it from getting all beat up.

This probably seems stupid to most people, but I can't decide if I should sell my bmw.
Thanks in advance.
(Ignore any grammatical errors as I am on my phone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What's the deal with the parking lot at the college? Are we talking about vandalism?
      06-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

I am in the same boat. Seeing that I will probably not drive it often and will leave it out of my direct surveillance, I am very much leaning towards leaving it at home at this point, but I am totally bringing it (or a beater) next year. My car isn't in the best shape ever but I really don't want to risk making it worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
montegokid94
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

I took my E90 to school this year and it was not a good experience. I will tell you why so you and others in our boat can avoid what happened to me.

At college most people don't care about your possessions. I have had stuff gone missing from my room and have had my car hit a bunch of times. I put on a new mtech rear and m3 front before I went and my mtech rear got destroyed by a girl who had no clue how to park. My front bumper has dings from people backing into me. I got a few dings on the side doors as well. My car was 10/10 first day of school and 6/10 when I got back home.

Also people will judge you. That's the way people our age think. Girls and guys alike will be like look at that kid with a BMW he must be rich he must be a douche, etc. I have had it happen to me. I always thought this stuff happens to people who show off on purpose, like the attention. I am the kind of guy who parked in the back of my residence lot and never told anyone what I drove. A few times I gave some people rides and I realized how differently they treated me after they saw my car. Making rude, stupid comments later on.

I am looking at buying a cheap civic to take back this year. Less problems, less hassle and no stress of having a nice car on campus. I enjoy my car and have it because of how nice (IMO) it is. Perfect car, powerful, good handling, etc. I don''t have it to impress random people and I respect my car and don't want it to be abused like it was last year. It can stay in my garage all year until I am home and I am fine with that.

Last edited by montegokid94; 06-19-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

I drove my BMW to campus every day in center city Philadelphia - with all of the shitty drivers and shitty roads. I do admit that it does have it's toll on the car - suspension, wheels, and minor body scratches/damages. I felt I was lucky because I saw a lot of cars in worse condition.

At my college though, you would see a lot nicer cars than mine. I could never understand why someone would have an Aston Martin and drive it on campus in the streets of Philadelphia.

Since you are going to school in NC, which is hardly an urban area, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are, get a beater. That's the most financially wise decision rather than getting another new car.
      06-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

don't take it . But dont sell your BMW , just drive your jeep to school. People are careless in college and they more than likely damage it .
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
kaijones34
PharmD E93
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

What school are you going to? That will have a lot to do with it. Many schools in the state don't allow freshmen to have cars on campus, so that would be a big factor. Most that do charge for parking each semester, I think it usually ranges from $400-$600. I went to Wingate University, and they allowed freshmen to have cars and didn't charge for parking, so that was nice.

At the time I had my E39 and my '99 Grand Cherkoee Limited that I would have there at different times. Parking got pretty bad for awhile because they had accepted more students than there were rooms or parking for. My first semester I had a package of Oreos pulled apart and the side with the filling stuck all over my car. That was a PIA to clean up. Pretty sure it was drunk Lacrosse players. Other than that I never had any bad experiences. It comes down to luck no matter where you are. One guy I saw around a lot when I was in undergrad had a E46 M3 and a nice lifted Wrangler on campus at different times, neither ever looked like they took any damage there. And then there was a Ford station wagon that had a dude thrown through the windshield, just parked at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good luck with school regardless of what you decide! I think you would regret selling the BMW though.
JB4/ER CP
OSS/painted reflectors/white LED turn signals/LED fogs/SmartTop
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
nick01234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
What's the deal with the parking lot at the college? Are we talking about vandalism?
Vandalism, door dings, and getting bumped into are my main concerns
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yeah, I guess I can see how that would be a concern. Keep them both but only use the Jeep for college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick01234 View Post
Vandalism, door dings, and getting bumped into are my main concerns
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
nick01234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijones34 View Post
What school are you going to? That will have a lot to do with it. Many schools in the state don't allow freshmen to have cars on campus, so that would be a big factor. Most that do charge for parking each semester, I think it usually ranges from $400-$600. I went to Wingate University, and they allowed freshmen to have cars and didn't charge for parking, so that was nice.

At the time I had my E39 and my '99 Grand Cherkoee Limited that I would have there at different times. Parking got pretty bad for awhile because they had accepted more students than there were rooms or parking for. My first semester I had a package of Oreos pulled apart and the side with the filling stuck all over my car. That was a PIA to clean up. Pretty sure it was drunk Lacrosse players. Other than that I never had any bad experiences. It comes down to luck no matter where you are. One guy I saw around a lot when I was in undergrad had a E46 M3 and a nice lifted Wrangler on campus at different times, neither ever looked like they took any damage there. And then there was a Ford station wagon that had a dude thrown through the windshield, just parked at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good luck with school regardless of what you decide! I think you would regret selling the BMW though.
I am looking at NC state as my number one choice, and ECU as my second choice as of right now.I would miss my car if I sold it, but I don't want to make it sit in a garage for four years either.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Oh snap didn't realize you are going to be quite a ways from being able to drive it. If it's just gonna sit better to sell for full value now. Can always pick up a newer Bimmer after college

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick01234 View Post
I am looking at NC state as my number one choice, and ECU as my second choice as of right now.I would miss my car if I sold it, but I don't want to make it sit in a garage for four years either.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
nick01234
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
Oh snap didn't realize you are going to be quite a ways from being able to drive it. If it's just gonna sit better to sell for full value now. Can always pick up a newer Bimmer after college
I have thought about that aswell, I might sell it and just buy a another bmw when I graduate. My parents would drive the car once a week or so if I left it, but the car would age during this time and loose all the value which it has currently. I'm so torn on this lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
xXSupa
IG @F30_MPE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i MPE

Really depends on the environment and people of your college/university.

Most of the local universities where I live are filled with Luxurious European cars or supercars. E9x aren't even considered "nice cars." Average at best.

Edit: Just read your previous post. If you are making it sit for 4 years, then you might as well sell it and buy another one when you graduate or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
silver07335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

Sell the 328i, save the money for a new car after you graduate, and use the current Jeep for school commuting. You could invest the money you get from selling the 328i for four years and cash out when you graduate or just put the money in a savings account. Actually, is the car under your name? Maybe your parents will sell it, keep the cash, and get you something later as a graduation gift.
Car: 2007 e90 335i 6MT - sports, premium, cold weather, light, and smoker's package. Performance Mods: Cobb AP v3, ETS 7" FMIC, Injen DCI, Michelin PSS, CDV delete, rear spoiler, BMW PE w/ Magnaflow tips, PTF pro-tune, VRSF downpipes, ER chargepipe w/ Tial Q, APEX 18" EC-7 wheels, MP outlet/ inlet, MMP Stg. 3 turbos. Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, BMW alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, Lux E90 V6 bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs, Blackvue DR650GW-2CH.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Sell the bmw and daily the Jeep.

get another bmw once you live off campus / have more control over where the car will be and can use the car.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

What if you are commuting. Should you drive it or sell it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #17
e90 John
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I took my B5 Audi S4 to school with me. I was constantly worrying on getting to class early in the morning to get a spot on a corner. Also, not driving anywhere after a certain hour or I wouldn't get a good spot returning home. When I moved off campus, my car was backed into twice and bumped twice. Both front and back bumper were replaced and they were repainted twice each. I loved having my car at school. But, it sure was a headache.

If I were to do it again and in your shoes I would get the jeep. The jeep will have a good resale 4 years from now and you can get a new bmw when you get out of school.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
kaijones34
PharmD E93
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

NC State has ~35,000 students, ECU ~25,000. Large numbers, so good chance there will be much nicer cars. Sate is very close to Cary, NC, and there tend to be high end cars in that area. I know freshmen have to pay to bring cars to State, several hundred but I'm not sure of an exact number. ECU requires a permit as well, but I have no idea what it costs.

I think you are okay either way. If you don't think you will miss the BMW too much for 4 years, then sell it. But, you will probably decide to go longer than 4 years, your job prospects will be much more limited if you just go 4. These days a basic degree is about what a high school degree used to be. A lot of my classmates from undergrad are working jobs barely over minimum wage after spending four years at the most expensive school in the state (at that time at least). So, if one is higher in miles, it might be better to keep the one most likely to last you awhile. I traded my E39 because I knew I would be doing a lot of driving this year for my final year, and didn't want to get stranded. E39 had 24x,xxx, Jeep had 26x,xxx. Kept the Jeep because I was letting my dad use it since his car broke down several months ago. Then it dropped a valve 3 weeks ago and he had to buy a new car haha. Just another thing to consider.
JB4/ER CP
OSS/painted reflectors/white LED turn signals/LED fogs/SmartTop
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
spencers
Captain
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: Sthrizzle

It's just a car. Drive it
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
kisho
Quiet till poked
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [9.50]
I'm sure you've visited UMD since you're in MD. That's where I went and took my bmw with me. I didn't live on campus tho and my car made it through fine (parking alone far away of course). Although, I'd never leave it on campus. So I'd say sell it and get a newer one later.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #21
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick01234
As the title stated, what are your opinions on taking a bmw to college?

I will admit that my parents bought the car for me. I do pay for the insurance and all the mods though. Mods include tint, vmr v718s, lux angel eyes, smoked side markers, led turn signals, cf emblems, black grills, debaged. The car has been excellently maintained, professionally detailed, and garage kept . I take extremely good care of the car.

That being said, I am a senior in high school and am thinking about college. I am looking to go to school in North Carolina. I have a 1997 jeep wrangler which I fixed up and plan to take that to college during the winters. My parents want me to sell the car because they feel it would just get too beat up at a college parking lot. If I was to sell the car, I would take the money I got from selling the bmw and most likely get a newer jeep. I would lift the jeep and put rock guards on it, this would prevent it from getting all beat up.

This probably seems stupid to most people, but I can't decide if I should sell my bmw.
Thanks in advance.
(Ignore any grammatical errors as I am on my phone)
Leave it at home or sell it. College life will be brutal on it. But it's all relative if you think about it: some members see their bmw as just a regular car while others see it as a Lambo and treat it like a queen.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #22
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

I lived on campus one year and the worst that ever happened was someone drew a dick with their finger in the condensation on my trunk one morning.

The only problem after I moved off campus was finding parking close to class.

Just the fact that it's a BMW shouldn't be the main factor. I'm sure there will be a plethora of cars much nicer than yours, and for the most part no one cares much.

I will say that I don't know whAt I would have done had I not brought my car to school. You can go wherever, whenever, and with whomever you want. It's also probably going to suck without one if there isn't much in walking distance.

Either way, good luck at school. You'll have a blast.