BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Equalizer setting for High-End audio

Does anyone know how to properly set the equaliser in the High-End audio system. I've got it in my E92 M3 and started to fiddle with it ... and the sound is just amazing. Are there specific setting for types of music? I am just clueless when it come to audio.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I got the impression from talking to the BMW folks at the German M3 driving experience that there was a high end/individual audio menu in i-drive for the settings. Is this not the case? Are there any pre-defined settings? This was the reason why they made you order i-drive with the high end audio option ..... ? Is it not in the user guide ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Nothing at all in the user manual. You have the bass and treble setting, plus the equalizer. You need to set this ... I think according to the type of music just like you would in the Windows Media Player. The issue is I don't know how to set this.

IMO the High-end audio system is worth every $. There are bass drivers under the front seat and there are microphones to sense the sound and adjust the output accordingly. It's exclusively to BMW from Logic 7, a subsidary of HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
GeriFix
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
My mate, who is a bit of an audiophile, wine ponce, and owner of a 335i tells me that the best set up is to turn up the low end and the high end (make a sort of V-pattern). The low end, because he likes to feel the base and the high end because the high frequencies apparently get absorbed more by the upholstery and cabin linings. I'd also recommend tuning the fader a little to the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Greg P
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, Elan SE, R8 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeriFix View Post
My mate, who is a bit of an audiophile, wine ponce, and owner of a 335i tells me that the best set up is to turn up the low end and the high end (make a sort of V-pattern). The low end, because he likes to feel the base and the high end because the high frequencies apparently get absorbed more by the upholstery and cabin linings. I'd also recommend tuning the fader a little to the rear.
I've always increased the low and high end settings on any hi-fi I've had and this in the E92 is no exception - I think it just sounds awesome !
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Depends on your taste and the type of music you listen to.

The high bass and treble in a "U shape" is very nice for Rock/Pop.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I concur on the U shape.
      05-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

any one got a pic of the optimal setting, I do understand the V and the U shape, but how low is the lowest point...I've played around with it a lot and to be honest its not sounding too much different each time...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

PencilGeek did some analysis with his hi-end analyzing equipment and came up with settings in the following thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=137825&page=2

(post #35)
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
danny929
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue M3 COUPE

can we get a picture of the u shape settings for high treble and high base
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Would the settings be much different for an E90?
Thanks!

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I use the "U" shape also, sounds good but I do feel the sound is a bit in the front even though it's set for the middle.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #13
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
The sound is supposed to sound like it is coming from the front. It's spacial imaging. The M3 has some of the best spacial imaging I've ever heard.

I recommend sometime just sitting in your car parked somewhere. Put on your favorite song and close your eyes. It should sound like you are in the front row at a concert. You can hear the guitar coming sound coming from one point on the stage and the drums from another point on the stage (usually straight ahead). A lot of this depends on how the song is recorded but the M3 does a great job.

I find the music sounds as if it's coming from the bottom of the windshield/dashboard area instead of the speakers in the doors.

Your mileage may vary.
      10-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
The sound is supposed to sound like it is coming from the front. It's spacial imaging. The M3 has some of the best spacial imaging I've ever heard.

I recommend sometime just sitting in your car parked somewhere. Put on your favorite song and close your eyes. It should sound like you are in the front row at a concert. You can hear the guitar coming sound coming from one point on the stage and the drums from another point on the stage (usually straight ahead). A lot of this depends on how the song is recorded but the M3 does a great job.

I find the music sounds as if it's coming from the bottom of the windshield/dashboard area instead of the speakers in the doors.

Your mileage may vary.
There is a center speaker on the dash, it's probably what you are hearing. Try dialing the fader to the rear a couple notches. I feel like it enhances the sound stage a little.
      10-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I shudder to think that an "audiophile" would be making blanket EQ recommendations -- expecially a V-shaped pattern -- and moreso making such recommendations without knowing anything about the acoustics of the listening environment (the car).

I want to hear things as they were originally recorded, and originally mixed. There's only one way to accomplish that -- to make the listening environment as flat as possible. And that's what I did in post-35 of the thread mentioned above.
I tried your EQ reccomendations and liked them, but I still feel like the high frequencies are a tad harsh, especially in the 1-3k range. Are there any low frequencies I can bump up that will cancel this out?

I have the sedan, so a few more windows than your car that probably make these frequencies stand out a little more.
      10-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I shudder to think that an "audiophile" would be making blanket EQ recommendations -- expecially a V-shaped pattern -- and moreso making such recommendations without knowing anything about the acoustics of the listening environment (the car).

I want to hear things as they were originally recorded, and originally mixed. There's only one way to accomplish that -- to make the listening environment as flat as possible. And that's what I did in post-35 of the thread mentioned above.
Flat is for old geezers who think the Camry sounds better.

I want my cars stereo to blast as i drive. I think the majority of the people here are more on my my demographic range and will to prefer the V shape.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I did a modified "V" tune, emphasizing the lower frequencies much more than the higher end. The equalizer looks more like this:

++++++++++
++++++++
++++++
+++++
++++
+++++
++++++
+++++++

I also adjusted the fade to the rear by three ticks. I'll play with it more, but it sounds pretty good. I have to be honest, I haven't really listened to the stereo much. I roll back the sunroof and listen to the sweet, sweet sounds of the engine and exhaust.
      10-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I am not a buff in this but did hang around with a lot of guy who owned a Car Audio Shop and did shows when I was younger. According to him, the lows need to be increased, but the 200Hz range needs reducing as well as 1khz (both are freq. which the human ears are acute to) though the highs shouldn't be increased by as much as the lows because as you start to drive the low freqs are drowned out by road noise.

I have this setup in my car with the Logic7 and it does work well when driving about 60~70mph.

Will post photo for others to see if it suits their tastes in music.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am not a buff in this but did hang around with a lot of guy who owned a Car Audio Shop and did shows when I was younger. According to him, the lows need to be increased, but the 200Hz range needs reducing as well as 1khz (both are freq. which the human ears are acute to) though the highs shouldn't be increased by as much as the lows because as you start to drive the low freqs are drowned out by road noise.

I have this setup in my car with the Logic7 and it does work well when driving about 60~70mph.

Will post photo for others to see if it suits their tastes in music.
Very interested. Please do.
      10-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

The V or U shape is sometimes known as the "west coast" sound and the "flat" settings on most equipment already have an uneven response curve that is a tad bit like it. I like things flat, but if you give people the choice between flat or boosted, 95% of people will pick the bass and treble boosted settings.

The whole point of the "Dirac Live" stuff is to get a flat frequency response in the cabin, but who knows if it actually works well...

Personally I don't worry too much about car audio even though I'm obsessive about it outside of cars, a car is a really bad situation for speakers, electronics, and acoustics in general. I think the S65 will sound better than any music you have anyway!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It took me a good month, after a 12 to 15 hour burn-in, to get the system to sound right... and now, it's amazing and best stock system outside of the L7. I'll take pics of my eq's/settings tomorrow. Once you get the sweet spot of the system, you'll be happy. Mine pretty covers 90% of the music genres out there.
Thanks, Laszlo.
      10-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #22
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
For some reason I can't get Photobucket to connect so I will write down the setting on mine.

Surround mode 'Concert'

100kz +3
200kz -1
500kz flat
1khz -3
2khz -1
5khz flat
10khz +3

Bass is boosted +2 but Treble is flat (but some may prefer to boost it slightly) and the balance and fader is set in the middle. Seems to work well with all musics.
Appreciate 0