BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2023, 01:51 PM   #45
NashX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshenriksen View Post
Take a look at this thread https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884837
It did solve the noise going over speed bumps too… I still hear the noise on left side now but the left control arm will first be replaced in March, so I guess this will solve it.
I brought up lower control arms to the technician working on my vehicle and he said they looked fine and when they connected chassis ears they were not making a noise. Depending on the cost my mechanic charges I may just pay out of pocket since taking it to the dealer has been such a hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #46
sarith
Rep
Drives: BMX X3

Is this issue fixed? I have the same exact issue on my 2023 X3. Taking into the dealer if they can find it and fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 05:05 PM   #47
sarith
Rep

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/b860mCBSDqA
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #48
Svensken
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: g01 x3 m40d lci

Had this in my 2022 m40d. New front shocks on warranty from the dealer and still running fine after one year of driving and approx 30000 km.
Appreciate 1
sarith0.00
      12-14-2023, 06:45 PM   #49
NashX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarith View Post
Is this issue fixed? I have the same exact issue on my 2023 X3. Taking into the dealer if they can find it and fix it.
I thought replacing the thrust arms replaced back in March fixed it but the noise came back this winter. I read on another thread it’s the hydro bushings bmw uses. Every shop I’ve taken the car to says the suspension looks fine. I’ve had struts, strut mounts, stabilizer links, lower control arms and thrust arms replaced and noise is still there. I’m just going to live with it until someone confirms they finally fixed it. And the noise goes away after going over some bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #50
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashX3 View Post
I thought replacing the thrust arms replaced back in March fixed it but the noise came back this winter. I read on another thread it’s the hydro bushings bmw uses. Every shop I’ve taken the car to says the suspension looks fine. I’ve had struts, strut mounts, stabilizer links, lower control arms and thrust arms replaced and noise is still there. I’m just going to live with it until someone confirms they finally fixed it. And the house goes away after going over some bumps.
There is a thread here about the windscreen washer reservoir becoming loose and creating a sound. Mine turned out to be the right side shock tower after too many dealer visits and lots of ‘let’s try’. Amazingly it was like pulling teeth to get them to use the chassis ears, which they never did. Noise gone, car out of warranty, fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
sarith0.00
      12-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #51
NashX3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
There is a thread here about the windscreen washer reservoir becoming loose and creating a sound. Mine turned out to be the right side shock tower after too many dealer visits and lots of ‘let’s try’. Amazingly it was like pulling teeth to get them to use the chassis ears, which they never did. Noise gone, car out of warranty, fingers crossed.
The noise comes from both driver and passenger side. When you say strut tower…are you referring to the strut or something else? The only thing in the front suspension that hasn’t been replaced are my tie rods/cv axles. I think it’s just faulty thrust arms that fail or just don’t like the cold.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #52
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashX3 View Post
The noise comes from both driver and passenger side. When you say strut tower…are you referring to the strut or something else? The only thing in the front suspension that hasn’t been replaced are my tie rods/cv axles. I think it’s just faulty thrust arms that fail or just don’t like the cold.
I believe it’s the assembly where the top of the strut bolts to the frame. I had an incident, unrelated to the sound, and had the upper & lower control arms, knuckle, hub and steering rack replaced and it still made the sound. There is a little more creak then normal now that it’s a bit colder out though across several places in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 07:15 PM   #53
sarith
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
This is exactly what they told me and they said they fixed it. But sound is there still intact.

Can you send the link for that "windscreen washer reservoir " thing
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 09:09 PM   #54
richardyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3, 22 Lexus Rx450H

this sounds awfully like the lower panel on the passenger side is loose. I had to remove that panel to install my dashcam, this panel is holding up by 2 quarter turn fasteners. The left side has a plastic clip that I am 100% sure was missing from the factory, this is the clip for the quarter-turn arrow-looking part to be inserted into the clip and you turn the arrow part 90degree to lock the lower panel in place. if your clip is missing, the arrow part will just dangle on the lower panel and every time you go over bumps it will make a rattle noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 12:49 AM   #55
kyyoon
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw ix3(g08)

Hi, I'm running ix3 in Korea.
It has about 40,000 kilometers and is equipped with an electronic variable suspension.
The ix3 is an electric car based on the X3 platform, and I also had a tough experience with this issue for about a year.

The noise occurs precisely when cold, and it appears and disappears about 2-3 times.
And when it warms up, it doesn't happen at all.

I gathered information from BMW forums in Korea, and it was easy to find people suffering from this symptom.

It was not the commonly known tie rod or tension strut noise at all, and it was easy to find the above problem on most X3 and IX3 models.

In the end, I took the car to a BMW service center in Korea for about 3 weeks to have it checked out and it was determined that it was a problem with the suspension itself, so they replaced the strut assembly at the front of the car and all the related parts, including the strut top and bottom mounts, with new ones, and the noise no longer occurred.

The exact cause of the noise was not found, but the engineer said it was a problem with the strut itself.
It could be that the part was under-torqued in the initial production of the car, or it could be an initial failure of the part.

I realize that my post may not be a perfect solution, but I'm writing it in hopes that it will help someone suffering from the above noise.

Please excuse my poor English and the use of a translator.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 08:18 AM   #56
bhoang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

has anyone every solved this issue? i also have the same thunks going over bumps as the videos.
Appreciate 0