E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got My Alarm Today - I can save you some hassel. Also software update info.

06-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Got My Alarm Today - I can save you some hassel. Also software update info.

Well, I got my alarm installed today....they have the software for the I-Drive update too.

Everything worked except the inside motion detector....

Why it did not work...

Some of the e90’s out have an another style of center map light console (revision already)...it should have the slots cut with a black cloth so the motion can work or see as they say.

They looked on the lot and found another 3, that had the slots cut out and they exchanged it.
It work great then...

Just make sure your center top map light console has the slots cut out with the black cloth behind it for the alarm to properly work...

Hope this helps... the alarm kit has no mention of this too.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Nice info!

What was the software update for and did you notice any differance after theupdate?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS
Well, I got my alarm installed today....they have the software for the I-Drive update too.

Some of the e90’s out have an another style of center map light console (revision already)...it should have the slots cut with a black cloth so the motion can work or see as they say.

They looked on the lot and found another 3, that had the slots cut out and they exchanged it.
It work great then...

Just make sure your center top map light console has the slots cut out with the black cloth behind it for the alarm to properly work...

Hope this helps... the alarm kit has no mention of this too.
Rachel, thank you. I was wondering about this. Just looking at the pics I did of my alarm install, I noticed that my slots are not cut out. So I will need to cut them out myself or get a new piece... Bummer!

If it's not too much trouble, can you find out which update they did (software version of your car now, for example). Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #4
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

See you dealer for the replacement console. It is nicely done at the factory for the motion sensor to work properly... If your dealer is nice, he will exchange it from new stock on his lot like mine did.

The software my dealer did is under Retrofit section updates and yes, they have to upload it to the car. It took about 20 minutes to do.

Oh my locks now work like they suppose to.

Here is the picture of the new console, notice it has cut outs.
The motion sensor will not work without it. Now if you stick you hand inside the car, it goes off like it should
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
brewer
Private
Rep
Drives: Arctic E90

Great info Rachel thank you for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 03:08 AM   #6
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Rachel, could you confirm that you can close windows/sunroof with the remote? I heard on another post that this can only be done on US models if you get the alarm. I think its down by holding down the lock button but not sure.

Thanks
SKimo
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

I think you can open them only, but I will check today some time.

I asked if I could get this feature and I got the "saftey thingy"
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
Rachel, could you confirm that you can close windows/sunroof with the remote? I heard on another post that this can only be done on US models if you get the alarm. I think its down by holding down the lock button but not sure.

Thanks
SKimo

In the USA you can only OPEN windows with the remote

Its been like that for years with BMW's in the USA

In europe you can open and close the windows
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Anyone who's installed the alarm kit themselves (i.e. bought from a source other than local dealer), then gone in to their local dealer for the software update, experience any hassle or attitude from the dealer for not buying and installing through them? Just curious - might do this myself if no one's exeriencing trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #10
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I think that's going to be a case-by-case basis for each dealer. However, there should be no reason your Dealer should charge you for this basic maintenance service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
Anyone who's installed the alarm kit themselves (i.e. bought from a source other than local dealer), then gone in to their local dealer for the software update, experience any hassle or attitude from the dealer for not buying and installing through them? Just curious - might do this myself if no one's exeriencing trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #11
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer said it cost about 100.00 for upgrade in software alone
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 Enthusiast
I will let you know when I go to get mine done. I am still getting the "We can't update your car yet" from my dealer, so they apparently don't know that they do have the ability to activate the alarm.

When I do go in, I am not expecting to get charged for the updates, but I will let you know. Since I am having foglight issues, I may be able to have them throw in the retrofit programming for the alarm more easily at no charge. I really don't think anyone should be charged for this, but I agree it can vary per dealer.

It will be interesting to see what they say when I have the alarm and they didn't put it in... When I mentioned it on the phone, they didn't seem to mind though.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #13
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I'm not getting my E90 until September - thru Euro Delivery. Does every new car that has an OEM alarm need a software update to activate the alarm, or is it just this first early batch of cars that didn't have the update? I guess I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with a software download by the time I got my car, that it would already be downloaded coming from the factory...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS
See you dealer for the replacement console. It is nicely done at the factory for the motion sensor to work properly... If your dealer is nice, he will exchange it from new stock on his lot like mine did.

The software my dealer did is under Retrofit section updates and yes, they have to upload it to the car. It took about 20 minutes to do.

Oh my locks now work like they suppose to.

Here is the picture of the new console, notice it has cut outs.
The motion sensor will not work without it. Now if you stick you hand inside the car, it goes off like it should

RachelS, once again, you save the day....

I just got my alarm installed today, and if I hadn't read this post I probably would have been screwed... I went to pick up my car, and the first thing I did was to take a peek at rear console to make sure that the cut-outs were there... and of course, they weren't! Not only that, but if I hadn't looked at the console, I would not have noticed the HUGE GREASY BLACK FINGERPRINTS the service people left on my celing! I marched right back in and pointed out the error of thier ways!

After a few minutes, they apologized and told me that the newer cars had the cut-outs, but the older ones didn't.... The cost of replacing the plate would be another $90, but they comped the charge because it was thier error and they wanted to compensate me for (1) going over estimate and (2) staining my celing (which, by the way, the detailing department cleaned completely -- thank goodness--- I was about to have a heart attack!)

It was a stressful visit, but the service guy I spoke with was a nice guy and he tried to get everything fixed (I pick up the new console next week).

FYI - the total cost for the alarm and install at San Francisco BMW was about $550. (PeterPan BMW in San Mateo gave me 2 different quotes: one for $1000 and one for $800).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #15
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
RachelS, once again, you save the day....

I just got my alarm installed today, and if I hadn't read this post I probably would have been screwed... I went to pick up my car, and the first thing I did was to take a peek at rear console to make sure that the cut-outs were there... and of course, they weren't! Not only that, but if I hadn't looked at the console, I would not have noticed the HUGE GREASY BLACK FINGERPRINTS the service people left on my celing! I marched right back in and pointed out the error of thier ways!

After a few minutes, they apologized and told me that the newer cars had the cut-outs, but the older ones didn't.... The cost of replacing the plate would be another $90, but they comped the charge because it was thier error and they wanted to compensate me for (1) going over estimate and (2) staining my celing (which, by the way, the detailing department cleaned completely -- thank goodness--- I was about to have a heart attack!)

It was a stressful visit, but the service guy I spoke with was a nice guy and he tried to get everything fixed (I pick up the new console next week).

FYI - the total cost for the alarm and install at San Francisco BMW was about $550. (PeterPan BMW in San Mateo gave me 2 different quotes: one for $1000 and one for $800).
OMG! If anyone else needs to get this installed, don't let them charge you any more that $550 for the parts and labor. It's only $200 or so dealer cost for the alarm, and seriously only about 1.5 hours to install. (see my how-to under Technical posts). Software updates not included of course. :mad: Notice that I mentioned to make SURE you have very clean hands when working in and around your headliner or you will stain it... Sounds like they didn't follow even my laymans advice!! Glad to hear it worked out though...

I will help you install your own alarm for free if you come down/up to my place near Pismo Beach. $350 for install is "fair" but all they have to do is plug in a few components and update the software. I guess $120 per hour is fair these days, but man, I must be in the wrong business if they are charging that much.

Steply, please let me know if they updated your software at SF BMW to activate the alarm. It sounds like they did, so HOPEFULLY I can finally get mine activated.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #16
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

Super...I am glad you got it. They should not charge anyone for the new grille. I was told that BMW engineering overlook this flaw...Any.. glad you got it for free. I love to help out.

I did have some fingerprints to. I cleaned it myself with naptha. Works great.

I paid 475.00 total with parts and labor...I _itched at check out and they took more off. It really takes about an hour and the programing 15 minutes. I think they can really do all in an hour...

tell tried to palm off an 800.00 charge, but this cookie knows better!!

and ALL DEALERs SHOULD HAVE THE ALARM SOFTWARE..I CALLED BMW AND ASKED THEM. If they don't go to another dealer, that dealer is cheap and lazy to download the software from BMW

Last edited by RachelS; 06-27-2005 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #17
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep

CC330i, it seems that the alarm is working with iDrive... I tested it by opening the door with me locked inside and with the "panic" feature (holding down the trunk button) -- the motion detection will not work until I get the new console cover next week.

When I got in the car, the seat memory had been reset -- so I was hoping this was a byproduct of freshly upgraded idrive software... But when I was surfing through the menus in iDrive, it seems that all my other setting remained (radio presets, navigation history, etc.).... So I'm not sure if they "updated" the iDrive software, or just activated the alarm feature...

The only difference I saw on the iDrive screens are under "vehicle settings/locks" I now have the option for audible sound when I lock/unlock the doors. I still don't seem to have an option for daytime running lights yet... (not that I want them on, but I'd like the option!).

I really like the sound of the alarm... It sounds more like a fire smoke/detector alarm than a car alarm, so it might be less likely to be ignored (as opposed to a distinctive car alarm sound that no one pays attention to)...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #18
RachelS
Private First Class
Rep

Is your arming beep sort of soft too. I like that it is not the horn.

kind of a neat sound when arming too.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2005, 11:07 PM   #19
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep

yup -- the arming and disarming sound satisfy my OCD by letting me know for certain that the door is locked -- but without the annoying honk that demands attention from everyone in the parking lot... A tasteful alarm system (that can scream when necessary)!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #20
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

My dealer gave me a quote of 550 installed..

Is this reasonable?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #21
CC 330i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399@mac.com
My dealer gave me a quote of 550 installed..

Is this reasonable?
I believe that this is a fair price considering that they have to spend some time updating the software too. It's $300 retail for the alarm, and then $250 for the labor. Really not too bad. Figure that the dealer probably pays no more than $200 for the alarm, so they are really charging $350 labor, which is at least $120 per hour if it takes them 3 hours. (and it really only should take 2, which is all it took me).

At least 90% of us could do this job ourselves, but if you don't like to monkey with your car yourself, I can't say I blame you... It can be a little scary sometimes on a brand new car.

Thanks for all the updates, and keep them coming. I am giving my dealer another week or two to get their act together before I schedule another appointment. Thanks to all!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #22
HiTEC
Rep
Drives: 2004 Audi A4 3.0

Seems like if you plan to get the alarm and have the dealer install it, that it might be best to work out a deal when you're purchasing your car. This is the point when you have the most leverage to get a better deal on the install.
Appreciate 0