BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > S55 Cold Start Lifter Tick

10-13-2023, 05:06 AM   #45
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Great result.

Same with mine i was amazed how quiet and silky smooth it now is.

After all the folks who say "they all make that noise" well mine doesn't
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #46
caughtinflux
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Wow, I was one of the guys that said mine makes that sound too, then I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0FAOMywfZF8. Mine sound quite like that, and now I'm trying to convince somebody that there is an issue.
It doesn't happen a 100% of the time though, but when it does it's quite prominent! If anyone here can get me a some specific info about the fix from an official source (PUMA/TSARA), that would be super useful.
Or even ideas for what to tell my indy shop to look for!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:36 AM   #47
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinflux View Post
Wow, I was one of the guys that said mine makes that sound too, then I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0FAOMywfZF8. Mine sound quite like that, and now I'm trying to convince somebody that there is an issue.
It doesn't happen a 100% of the time though, but when it does it's quite prominent! If anyone here can get me a some specific info about the fix from an official source (PUMA/TSARA), that would be super useful.
It’s called exhaust camshaft tick.

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:25 AM   #48
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yep that's it. Doubters have to ignore the injector clicks and pick out the slower irregular metallic clink.

There's a puma reference on this forum somewhere.

Mine did it worst after standing for about 30-60 mins from hot. Cold was ok-ish and fully hot ok.

But if your indy has dealt with many S55s he should be aware as its so common. My indys done numerous of them, usually tie it in with a plug change. A mechanics stethoscope will help.

About £75 in parts, approx 4-6 hours labour. Exhaust Cam 15 bolts must be replaced as they are stretch bolts use once only. Don't let anyone tell your they can just retorque them! If they say that, run a mile...

Figures on here of $3000 are crazy.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-02-2023 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #49
caughtinflux
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

There’s certainly lots of S55s at this shop, but they claim not to have heard it. $3000 seems quite high, yeah. Labour should be around $200-220 an hour even at an expensive shop here in California.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #50
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There’s certainly lots of S55s at this shop, but they claim not to have heard it. $3000 seems quite high, yeah. Labour should be around $200-220 an hour even at an expensive shop here in California.
Had mine corrected under warranty, didn't pay a single dime.

Dealer was Long Beach BMW in SoCal

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 02:31 PM   #51
AllEyesOnMe
TeQuiero
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

There's another thread on M2C long term review, and it doesn't sound like anyone has reported issues as a result of this ticking sound. Is it safe to say that this is more of an annoyance? If it is an issue, it looks like it won't happen until very late in the S55's life.
      12-02-2023, 02:33 PM   #52
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEyesOnMe View Post
There's another thread on M2C long term review, and it doesn't sound like anyone has reported issues as a result of this ticking sound. Is it safe to say that this is more of an annoyance? If it is an issue, it looks like it won't happen until very late in the S55's life.
I asked the dealer senior tech working on my car if it would cause any long term issues and the tech said he didn’t think so, but another one of my friends who went through a BMW M Mechanic program told me that if left alone for too long, it could cause timing issues since the exhaust camshaft would slowly go out of sync. Not sure if that’s actually what happens but just relaying what I’ve heard.

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #53
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Does this sound normal? I can't tell much of a difference between the good and bad sounding S55s. I should've said something to my dealer at one of my services but I always thought these engines were just noisy. But after doing some searching I found this thread I'm wondering if I need this fixed. I'm just out of warranty too

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 07:00 PM   #54
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Hard to tell, easier to tell if you video the passenger side wheel well, but it sounds normal to me. The best way to hear it is on a cold start but after idle settles.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 07:16 PM   #55
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
Does this sound normal? I can't tell much of a difference between the good and bad sounding S55s. I should've said something to my dealer at one of my services but I always thought these engines were just noisy. But after doing some searching I found this thread I'm wondering if I need this fixed. I'm just out of warranty too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OALWCBLVGBg
Sounds normal to me, regular direct injection sounds. You’d hear an annoying but faint metallic tick if you had the issue, I believe I sent a video to this thread

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-05-2023, 12:01 AM   #56
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post

Sounds OK to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #57
Johnny.Lad
Johnny.lad
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Sounds OK to me.
Hey my man!

I have a 2018 bmw m3 F80, and lately have been getting the infamous ticking noise in the exhaust camshaft area of the car.

During cold start the car would tick VERY loudly until the cold start cycle ends after 30 seconds or depending how cold it is outside.

You can hear the ticking still if you put your ear against the front passenger wheel side of the car.

Here is a link to the video of my car and what it sounds like with cold start and a little after cold start. (Watch the whole video)

I’d say this is what most of the people tend to hear with this silly issue. What do you recommend I do. I have a well known shop that I go to but I don’t think they’ve had a car come in with this ticking noise before.

I want to understand this problem as much as I can and what parts I’d need to fix everything before I just throw my car at a shop to fix.

So questions, you mention don’t retorque. Buy 15 new bolts and torque properly, im assuming new valve cover gasket. Any other gasket I need? Would you recommend to just get lifters replaced? How many lifters do I need? Where can I get the 15 bolts and lifters?

Sorry for all the questions just want to sort this out as soon as possible.

Thank you! And thank you to anyone who might want to help as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:16 AM   #58
doughboy
Major General
Rep

It's hard to tell from inside the car I can't hear it all all.

Then from engine bay after fast idle it does sound like the tapping yes, but not as pronounced as some.

Does it only do it cold? What about from hot then left to cool for about an hour, mine was really bad then.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:42 AM   #59
Johnny.Lad
Johnny.lad
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to tell from inside the car I can't hear it all all.

Then from engine bay after fast idle it does sound like the tapping yes, but not as pronounced as some.

Does it only do it cold? What about from hot then left to cool for about an hour, mine was really bad then.

You really can’t hear it in the cold start?? Put your volume up to max. It sounds like a tractor. In person it’s very easy to hear the extremely loud ticking from the engine bay.

Now if I were to leave the car off for like 2 hours then go back to start it up it would have a mini cold start cycle however, the ticking would not be that liud. The longer I leave the car off the louder the ticking is.

I figured to give tightening the bolts a try first and see if that does anything. But i wanted to know what bolts I’d need and if I need any other gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #60
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.Lad View Post
You really can’t hear it in the cold start?? Put your volume up to max. It sounds like a tractor. In person it’s very easy to hear the extremely loud ticking from the engine bay.

Now if I were to leave the car off for like 2 hours then go back to start it up it would have a mini cold start cycle however, the ticking would not be that liud. The longer I leave the car off the louder the ticking is.

I figured to give tightening the bolts a try first and see if that does anything. But i wanted to know what bolts I’d need and if I need any other gaskets.
No serious I can't hear any tapping on the cold start, only loud exhaust rasp. Can you video cold start with bonnet open and camera near engine?

The hardest bit PITA is getting the cam cover off and back on without causing any oil leaks afterwards. The thinn rubber gaskets try to fall out of the cam cover when you turn it over to re-fit (try grease to hold it in place) if even one small bit of the gasket gets trapped or cut you will have serious oil leak problems.

I wouldn't change any lifters unless you think they are faulty. Maybe do some other maintenance like new spark plugs?

Once you got the cover off, changing the 15x cam ledge bolts is easy bit one at a time.

You can't re-torque them - there is no final torque setting as they are TTY stretch bolts, so they are stretched already and cannot be re-used.

I'm not sure of the tightening spec (your shop will need BMW workshop guide). But it will be a torque plus degrees turn, i.e. 30nm + 90degrees.

Whenever you see this you know it is TTY single use bolts.

All the parts from BMW only.
Attached Images

Last edited by doughboy; 01-29-2024 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
bitcore106.50
      01-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #61
Johnny.Lad
Johnny.lad
Rep

Quote:
No serious I can't hear any tapping on the cold start, only loud exhaust rasp. Can you video cold start with bonnet open and camera near engine?

The hardest bit PITA is getting the cam cover off and back on without causing any oil leaks afterwards. The thinn rubber gaskets try to fall out of the cam cover when you turn it over to re-fit (try grease to hold it in place) if even one small bit of the gasket gets trapped or cut you will have serious oil leak problems.

I wouldn't change any lifters unless you think they are faulty. Maybe do some other maintenance like new spark plugs?

Once you got the cover off, changing the 15x cam ledge bolts is easy bit one at a time.

You can't re-torque them - there is no final torque setting as they are TTY stretch bolts, so they are stretched already and cannot be re-used.

I'm not sure of the tightening spec (your shop will need BMW workshop guide). But it will be a torque plus degrees turn, i.e. 30nm + 90degrees.

Whenever you see this you know it is TTY single use bolts.

All the parts from BMW only.

I appreciate all the information my good sir.

Here is a better video of another cold start. The colder the car the louder it is. Sounds like a spinning ticking sound. Id assume it’s something with the exhaust camshaft.

I haven’t seen anyones cold start video. Mine doesn’t sound as clicky/metaly until the car is warm however, you can barely hear the ticking when the car is warm.

Just the cold start has the abnormal sound.

Here is a link to the video

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 04:53 PM   #62
chris719
Major General
Rep

Take a video from the passenger side wheel area. That's where it's most noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:57 PM   #63
Johnny.Lad
Johnny.lad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Take a video from the passenger side wheel area. That's where it's most noticeable.
Hey Chris,

The first video I posted yesterday shows me recording the passenger side of the car. Even a little underneath the car towards the end of the video.

I’m second guessing the initial start up/cold start noise now. Because the ticking is minimum but it sounds like a spinning rotating object now that I think about it.

I haven’t seen any youtube videos of someone cold starting their car with the camshaft issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:41 PM   #64
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Chris,

The first video I posted yesterday shows me recording the passenger side of the car. Even a little underneath the car towards the end of the video.

I’m second guessing the initial start up/cold start noise now. Because the ticking is minimum but it sounds like a spinning rotating object now that I think about it.

I haven’t seen any youtube videos of someone cold starting their car with the camshaft issue.
Sorry, I missed it. It sounds like the issue to me in that first video. Not terrible, but I'm pretty sure I hear it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:23 AM   #65
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

I have a 19 with 40K and I can hear it on mine. My basic takeaway from all of this is to live with it until it's time to do the valve cover gasket. Having done that job before, I'm not itching to do it (let alone pay for someone else to do it), for a start up tick that goes away quickly and doesn't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:29 PM   #66
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate all the information my good sir.

Here is a better video of another cold start. The colder the car the louder it is. Sounds like a spinning ticking sound. Id assume it’s something with the exhaust camshaft.

I haven’t seen anyones cold start video. Mine doesn’t sound as clicky/metaly until the car is warm however, you can barely hear the ticking when the car is warm.

Just the cold start has the abnormal sound.

Here is a link to the video

Woh! I've no clue what that noise is, it doesn't sound anything like the exhsut cam knock.

I'd take it to a shop and get it looked at.
Appreciate 0