BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i. G42 M240i

Pan Roof Noise

Anyone got a Pan Roof that makes a small creaking/clicking noise? Mine is right side of the car, me being 6ft 3" I'm picking it up a lot and it's beginning to drive me bananas!!

Tried WD40 and light bearing grease on the gaskets and any working parts I can think of, anyone having the same kind of issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Have you got a wider shot of the Pano Roof? It looks nearly the same to our Mini one, which if it is the same cassette, creaks and knocks loads! I've found if you apply pressure up wards on the corner on the left or right side where it tilts up/down it stops the noise. Said noise resumes after letting go, tried adjusting ours to no avail, it's on my to do list to investigate further!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      04-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Have you got a wider shot of the Pano Roof? It looks nearly the same to our Mini one, which if it is the same cassette, creaks and knocks loads! I've found if you apply pressure up wards on the corner on the left or right side where it tilts up/down it stops the noise. Said noise resumes after letting go, tried adjusting ours to no avail, it's on my to do list to investigate further!
I'll get a shot once the wife gets in mate, a full shot closed/open?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxy View Post
Quote:
Both if you can, but from the shots you've took it looks nearly identical to ours in our F56
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Both if you can, but from the shots you've took it looks nearly identical to ours in our F56
I still get the noise with the roof open mate
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yours is slightly different to ours, although pretty much the same concept - as it retracts externally rather than internally you find in the more expensive range of cars.

Ours only knocks and rattles when it's closed - so it only annoys us in winter as we usually have it open or on tilt most of the summer.

The two things I will say on researching the issue with ours is the cassettes don't get screwed in well enough at factory - resulting in knocking and creaking. The other main culprit is the sun blind too - both these issues would cause a noise when it's still open.
Appreciate 1
MrFoxy372.50
      04-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #7
MrFoxy
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yours is slightly different to ours, although pretty much the same concept - as it retracts externally rather than internally you find in the more expensive range of cars.

Ours only knocks and rattles when it's closed - so it only annoys us in winter as we usually have it open or on tilt most of the summer.

The two things I will say on researching the issue with ours is the cassettes don't get screwed in well enough at factory - resulting in knocking and creaking. The other main culprit is the sun blind too - both these issues would cause a noise when it's still open.
Thanks mate, I took out the gasket and smeared a film of grease on the insert, seems to have worked better than anything else so far.
Appreciate 0