E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > polished wheels??

07-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M

polished wheels??

how does everyone polish there wheels so nice.. i have dpes and it is such a hard time to get between the rivets and the lip?? i can never get it clean all teh way up to wheer the rim meets the lip.... any suggestions????
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

http://www.lanescarproducts.com/cott...ng-sticks.html

try those
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

thanx specC when i took it to bmw to get it detailed they used wheel acid and it cleaned evreything out but turned my lips white.. which i used the mothers aluminum polish on and it came out nice again like a mirror...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

what about a pressure washer???
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel335i View Post
what about a pressure washer???
A pressure washer will just help with the cleaning aspect. Because it shoots out water harder than a hose, it has a blowing effect that helps blow brake dust, dirt, and other contaminates off the surface. It also works great to ensure that you have all the cleaning products off of the surface therefore you do not get hazing form cleaning products that have been left on the surface. But don't get me wrong, because you will still need other products like Spec has listed to get into the little nicks and cranny's not so much for polishing, but more so for cleaning.

For cleaning a wheel this is all the products and steps I use:

1. Power wash the wheels for a quick rinse
2. Spray the wheels with P21s Wheel Gel and let it work for around 2-5min depending on the type of wheel and how dirty the wheel is
3. Use a E-Z detail brush to scrub the inside of the wheel by hand, or use a AcePowerStick hooked up to a drill.
4. Use a Swissvax wheel brush to scrub the face of the wheel
5. Use q-tips to get into the small parts of the wheels
6. Rinse very well with power washer
7. Use a air-compressor to blow the wheel clean
8. Use a Waffle Weave MF towel to completely dry the wheel

And for polishing:
1. Use a chrome polish by hand on all chrome pieces (I like CG Fine metal polish and Swissvax metal polish)
2. Use a paint polish to polish the painted parts of the wheels by hand (I like DoDo Lime Prime or any light paint polish will do)
3. Wax the entire wheel (I like Swissvax wheel wax)
4. Seal the entire wheel (I like CG Jetseal 109 and I let it cure for at least 6hours)
5. Lastly I give the entire wheel a quick wipe down with a anti-static QD. (CG Speed Wipe or OPT Gloss)

*Keep in mind that I rarely use the same steps for polishing wheels due to the vast difference in finishes I encounter. If you tell me the type of wheels you have I can tell you exactly what process will work best. Also remember that the wheel will only look as good as your primary cleaning process. The cleaner you get the wheel before polishing, the better the wheel will look after polishing. Also wheels take a long time to detail because of the size and the location, so the best way to keep your wheels looking good is to clean them regularly and never let them get too dirty.
      07-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

thanx allot that was soo helpfull .. i was scared of using a power washer!!! my wheels are dpe ro6 variant s they are painted AW to match car with polished lips....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel335i View Post
thanx allot that was soo helpfull .. i was scared of using a power washer!!! my wheels are dpe ro6 variant s they are painted AW to match car with polished lips....
Ok, for polishing the lips I would use CG Ultra Fine Metal Polish. Try not to get it on the painted parts of the wheels, and only use it on exposed metal, and chrome. Just use it by hand with a MF towel, or a foam applicator pad.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...otection-P193/

For the painted parts of the wheels, I would use Clear Kote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze. Personally I have never used the product, but I have heard great things. Use it only on the painted parts of the wheels, and rub it in tell it starts to haze (dry). Use a MF towel or a foam applicator pad, and remember to wipe it off with a MF towel.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Clear-K...and-Glaze-P45/

Lastly you will want to seal the entire wheel with a sealant. I recommend ChemicalGuys JetSeal109. You will want to use a MF towel, or a foam applicator pad, and make sure you give every surface a nice coat. The only thing you will want to do differently is let this product sit on the paint for as long as possible. I would recommend at least 6 hours, but the longer the better. I usually try to do 2 coats in 24hours. So apply a coat, let it sit for 12 hours, wipe it off, apply another coat and buff it off another 12 hours later.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...Seal-109-P184/

As far as cleaning products this is what I recommend:

P21s Wheel Gel

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...l-Cleaner-P86/

You will also need different types of brushes to reach into all the spots of the wheel.

I use this Swissvax wheel brush for the face of the wheel

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=195

To get the insides of the wheel you have two options. One is used by hand, and the other is a bit more expensive and you hook it up to a drill. Both work great, but the one hooked up to the drill cuts down in time and effort.

E-Z Detail Brush (by hand)

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

Ace Power Sticks (used with a drill)

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...ROD&ProdID=320

With the AcePowerSticks you have a couple of options as far as the type of brush you want. Some are bigger and some are smaller to reach into the tighter parts of the wheel. Take a look at all of them if you want a Acepowerstick and see what one will work best for you.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Also remember anything you buy at detailedimage.com you receive a 10%discount by being a forum member. Just type in e90post upon checkout. Also make sure you have a bunch of MF towels (Microfiber towels) to use throughout the detailing process. They are a lot softer then normal towels and will not scratch the paint, metal, and glass as easy as normal towels.

Thanks,
Jared
      07-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Also make sure you do not get the power washer too close to the wheel. If you do it can cause the wheel to chip and it can also mar the finish of the wheel. I would make sure you keep the tip of the power washer about as far away as you would if you were spraying your hand off with the power washer. So somewhere around 3-4feet depending on how powerful your power washer is, and what setting your power washer tip is on. I would always keep it on the "fan" setting so it does not spray in a straight jet which is more powerful and easier to mess finishes up with.

Thanks,
Jared
      07-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

thank you so much for taking the time to write that up... it is more then helpful..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
That will be $40. LOL

NP buddy, anytime.
      07-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

well worth it haha
just wish you lived over here so i could pay you to do it all...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well I travel places if the price is right!

I know we have some good detailers on here that live in FL, but I just do not know if they are close to Tampa.
      07-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Diesel///M
Colonel
Rep

yeah i opened a thread to see if i could find one .. but nothing yet
Appreciate 0