BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C impressions from a total NOOB

09-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #45
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

I love reading threads like this! First and foremost, congratulations on the M2C—that's exactly how I'd have spec'd mine.

Secondly, I have to say that it's so amazing (and refreshing) to see someone come to BMW with such newfound enthusiasm. It reminds me of every reason why we're all enthusiasts today and what makes the community so great. It's fantastic to see people enjoy these cars so purely. Kudos to you and I'm glad Bimmerpost has been a hub of great information and e-friendship for you!

Looking forward to keeping up with your ownership experience as the months and years go by!
BlkSVT388.50
ChrisK4454.00
Spare°257.50
Davil6582.00
hellrotm4142.50
Beakster110.50
      09-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #46
DC2RtoCT9Atof87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2RtoCT9Atof87 View Post
Hope to see you around, I'm local! Just picked up an OG M2...
Great! When did you get yours?
Got a used one just a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #47
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Damn! On both counts!

1. You are right about the kids car seats! Thank you! After reading this, I immediately went out and put towels under the car seats. I feel like an idiot, because I have Dakota leather in my 328i, and the kids seats have totally marked up the leather badly. Don't know why it never occurred to me. Thank you for the pro tip!
I got this in my cars. Love these things!
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Seat-Prot...by%2Bseat&th=1

Congrats on the M! Beautiful and fun to read story.
Appreciate 1
Shekels89.50
      09-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #48
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
Quote:
Damn! On both counts!

1. You are right about the kids car seats! Thank you! After reading this, I immediately went out and put towels under the car seats. I feel like an idiot, because I have Dakota leather in my 328i, and the kids seats have totally marked up the leather badly. Don't know why it never occurred to me. Thank you for the pro tip!
I got this in my cars. Love these things!
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Seat-Protector-Thickest-Padding/dp/B01NAB5V3G/ref=sr_1_20_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536091472&sr=8-20&keywords=protective%2Bcover%2Bbaby%2Bseat&th=1

Congrats on the M! Beautiful and fun to read story.
This is awesome! Thank you! I just ordered 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #49
RN_2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
congrats and enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #50
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Congrats! Enjoy and be safe 😎
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #51
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Esteemed colleagues,

By total chance, yesterday, HERR FSTIR (thank you, sir!) spotted online that a HS, DCT, 29U wheels was at a dealer lot, and then posted about it on the forum. I went over to the dealership, solely with the intention of checking out the color, and within 5 minutes ended up buying the car.

(By the way, if anybody still needs an allocation at MSRP, Davin at BMW of Encinitas has said that he'd be happy to provide! 858-357-4956. He's a Bimmerpost guy too!)

First, I wanted to say thank you all on this forum for being so awesome. I've learned so much from you all. Having come onto the forum, I realize that so many of you have had, in many cases, decades of experience with some of the most coveted cars in the world. And I've read all the debates about OG M2 versus M2C, and I understand that some of the smallest nuances make all the difference on the track. But, as a NOOB, I've gotta say that everyone who has the OG M2 is incredibly lucky, because you've had such an awesome car all along. Honestly, I don't know that I would be able to tell the difference between an OG M2 and the M2C, as I'm new, but either car is something that people like me have aspired all their lives to own.

Second, thought I'd share some of my impressions of the car. I'm a total NOOB to M cars and a total NOOB to performance cars of any stripe. My previous car was a 328i, which I always thought drove like a dream. I knew nothing! So, in no particular order:

1. Driving - So, take everything I have to say with a grain of salt, because I don't know anything about performance cars. But, man alive! This thing is amazing! I spent yesterday and this morning going along back roads to the ocean and then out east up into the mountains and along canyon roads, and the car just accelerates like a monster. And I'm staying under 5500 RPM as per the break in guidelines. Can't even begin to imagine what it's like when you can take it to redline. On top of that, it just feels like it's glued to the asphalt. I feel like I can take any turn at any speed - with all the nannies on, of course. I never knew that a car could drive like this!

2. Looks - Man, a bunch of my neighbors have already come over to take a look at the car and to give me a hard time. One dude said, "Hey man, you know, this is not the best way to make friends, right? You're making the rest of us look really bad." When I was at the beach, a couple of very attractive young women came over to ask what kind of car it was. I had to remind myself that a) I'm married, b) too old to be talking to young women, and c) too paunchy to be attractive to young women.

3. Gas mileage - I'm averaging ~16 mpg. I think all of us here on Bimmerpost are personally responsible for global warming and the impending apocalypse.

4. Sound - At the risk of getting tarred and feathered, I think this car sounds amazing. But, again, I don't know any better, as I've never owned a NA V8. All I know is that in Sport+, I feel like I'm in the cockpit of a jet fighter. I've always wanted to be Ice Man. Screw Maverick. Ice Man was the real deal. And when I'm in this car, in my own head I'm Ice Man.

5. Suspension - After having read all the reviews and watched, oh, I dunno... 103 different Youtube reviews of the M2, I was expecting the car to have a suspension akin to the Rubbles' car on the Flintstones. Honestly, I've been incredibly pleasantly surprised at how "soft" the car feels. I remember riding in a relative's 911 when I was kid, and was blown away by how hard that set up was. I think in my own mind, I was expecting something where your teeth get shaken loose with every bump. It's not like that at all. And the damping is amazing. There are a couple of spots on the freeways here in San Diego on my commute where, out of the blue, there are large dips, and in my 328i, I always felt like the car would oscillate up and down wildly like a slinky dink. Don't even notice them in the M2C going 90 mph.

6. Practicality - I remember there was a question earlier on the forum about getting the M2C versus the M3, as the poster was about to have a kid. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and the car seats fit just fine, and it's been easy enough for me to get them in and out of the seats. Though, it may be a bit more difficult if the child seat were backward facing. Double-wide kids stroller also fits in the trunk. I remember the poster seemed to indicate a preference for the fun of the shorter wheel base, but was concerned about practicality. Thus far, I would say GET WHAT'S FUN!

Finally, thanks to you all again! Next stop for me is the track! I've caught the bug from you all. Was thinking of maybe getting a beater 944 (I've heard you can find some for like $5k at this point), learning how to, you know, drive, in something that I don't mind crashing and burning, and then once I've earned my stripes, take the M2C!
CptObvious: Sounds like the M2C accelerates really fast and has a lot of power from your view? That sounds like great news as I always thought the OG M2 needed more power.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8739.00
      09-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #52
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
CptObvious: Sounds like the M2C accelerates really fast and has a lot of power from your view? That sounds like great news as I always thought the OG M2 needed more power.

Hey RPM33! To me, in Sport+, it feels like a rocket ship. But, by the same token, as folks have discussed in the thread below, it sounds like the throttle mapping has been tweaked (relative to OG M2) in such a way that torque really kicks in later.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1532288

In that thread, Carl put it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
3-7K is the sweet spot vs 2-5.5k for the OG. carl
And cntzl even provided a dyno chart that I think provides the actual data behind probably what's going on.

So, it sounds like BMW engineers specifically changed the mapping to give it better traction upon launch, and to better mimic the behavior of a naturally aspirated engine.

Hope that makes sense!
Appreciate 4
ChrisK4454.00
M-Pilot4861.50
Robin_NL8739.00
      09-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #53
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Great story - congratulations!

Yes, "unfortunately" for you, all your future BMWs will now have to be Ms!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
PLF693770.00
cptobvious2531.50
      09-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #54
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Congratulations !! Great choice !

2014 911 Carrera S, Agate grey, black int, 7spd manual

2019 M2C, HKS, 6 spd Manual. (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:00 PM   #55
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
You should make a detour up to Palomar and then across the mountains to Julian and back via Sunrise highway...the motorcycle route :-)
AlpsRider, sir, you are a god among men.

It seems I had a touch of the flu this morning, so had to call in sick. But, then, miraculously, by mid-morning, I'd fully recovered! Fever was gone, nausea disappeared, strength and energy seemed off the charts. And, well, didn't quite make sense to go into the office at that point, given that half of the morning was already gone. So, I hopped in the car to take your route!

I have never had that much fun in a car in my life. And that even includes the few times in college when my girlfriend and I parked along some dark streets for privacy!

Thank you, again! Absolutely awesome route!
Appreciate 2
AlpsRider2865.00
///M Houbi1655.00
      09-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #56
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
AlpsRider, sir, you are a god among men.

It seems I had a touch of the flu this morning, so had to call in sick. But, then, miraculously, by mid-morning, I'd fully recovered! Fever was gone, nausea disappeared, strength and energy seemed off the charts. And, well, didn't quite make sense to go into the office at that point, given that half of the morning was already gone. So, I hopped in the car to take your route!

I have never had that much fun in a car in my life. And that even includes the few times in college when my girlfriend and I parked along some dark streets for privacy!

Thank you, again! Absolutely awesome route!
I'm glad you liked it Your car is getting broken in right, mountain driving is the best for break in I can't wait to get my car on that road.
Another road that you could try is the 94 along the Mexican border between Jamul and Campo. It is famous with the sport bike crowd. There is a long stretch of that road that has no driveways, The speed limit is 55 even though the yellow speed signs on the corners are 25 or 35 etc they are only "recommended" speeds so you can drive 55-60 through all the corners without breaking the speed limit. Yeeha!
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #57
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'm glad you liked it Your car is getting broken in right, mountain driving is the best for break in I can't wait to get my car on that road.
Another road that you could try is the 94 along the Mexican border between Jamul and Campo. It is famous with the sport bike crowd. There is a long stretch of that road that has no driveways, The speed limit is 55 even though the yellow speed signs on the corners are 25 or 35 etc they are only "recommended" speeds so you can drive 55-60 through all the corners without breaking the speed limit. Yeeha!
Man, you are the best! That is now my drive on Saturday. I can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #58
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Man, you are the best! That is now my drive on Saturday. I can't wait!
You could also start from Otay Lakes and then connect to the 94 to Campo. Sometimes I double back, sometimes I keep going to the 8. Safe travels
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #59
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@IND View Post
I love reading threads like this! First and foremost, congratulations on the M2C—that's exactly how I'd have spec'd mine.

Secondly, I have to say that it's so amazing (and refreshing) to see someone come to BMW with such newfound enthusiasm. It reminds me of every reason why we're all enthusiasts today and what makes the community so great. It's fantastic to see people enjoy these cars so purely. Kudos to you and I'm glad Bimmerpost has been a hub of great information and e-friendship for you!

Looking forward to keeping up with your ownership experience as the months and years go by!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #60
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Gentlemen... and I use the term loosely... I hit 1,200 mile break in service this morning. And then immediately took the car out to Palomar Observatory to test redline and specifically to hammer on the brakes. It's over 5,000 feet of elevation change, with some of the windiest, steepest roads in San Diego. I stayed in 2nd gear as much as possible, aiming to keep RPM between 3000 - 7000 the entire time. Up and back was perhaps 1 hour, and I could feel the DSC intervening strongly and heavily braking through every turn (to keep me from flying off the side of the mountain) as I was giving loads of throttle throughout each switchback. When I wasn't actively braking, the computer was braking for me. So, all in all, roughly 1 hour of very heavy braking. And not once did I experience brake fade.

This car is the best thing to have happened to me in my life. Perhaps, but only perhaps, matched by my marriage and the births of my two children. It's close. I'm not sure which I am more thankful for. It just pulls and pulls and pulls! There were turns with those yellow caution signs indicating a recommended 15 mph, and I was accelerating through those at 50 mph in 2nd! And it's one thing to have a car that performs but that you can't live with (e.g., Dodge Viper - any Motor Trend review where they marvel at the performance, but talk about how it's so hot it melts the driver, it's deafening, it actively tries to kill you, etc., etc.), and it's another to have a car like this where not only does it make you feel like you're a fighter pilot, but when you want, it's a nice luxurious German car, with Apple CarPlay, the coldest sweetest AC ever, and will make sophisticated heads turn. Now that I think about it, the car is better than my second child, but I think I prefer my first child to this car.

There you have it. It is life changing.
Appreciate 9
ChrisK4454.00
Kleinacus671.00
pz6193280.00
Davil6582.00
BlkSVT388.50
Robin_NL8739.00
Junni88.00
TProfit81.50
      09-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #61
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Like to trade? og for ur m2c?

Take it back...lol
Welcome to the m2 fam

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)

Last edited by Orange fever; 09-14-2018 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #62
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Lol. Awesome man. Glad you are enjoying your car!! I’ll pick up my in Germany in 2 weeks and then a long voyage home and another wait.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #63
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Appreciate all your comments! As someone whose never owned more than 240hp, I'm looking forward to 410hp, which I'll get Tuesday

Feel free to post more pictures too
      09-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Congrats
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #65
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Lol. Awesome man. Glad you are enjoying your car!! I’ll pick up my in Germany in 2 weeks and then a long voyage home and another wait.

So jealous! I didn't even know that ED was a thing when I got my car! (I mean, I knew about "erectile dysfunction" but not "European Delivery.") If I had known, I definitely would have done that. My next BMW, I'm definitely doing ED.

You gotta take lots of photos of your European Vacation and upload them for me to drool over!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #66
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Appreciate all your comments! As someone whose never owned more than 240hp, I'm looking forward to 410hp, which I'll get Tuesday

Feel free to post more pictures too

Oh, yeah! Exact same boat. I came to the M2C from a 328i, with 240hp. I thought that was a fast car, because prior to that, I owned a 140hp Jetta. Man, the M2C's 405hp is unbelievable. And the peak torque from 3000 - 7000 RPM is crazy. I'd read on other threads that BMW specifically remapped the throttle to ensure better traction at low revs, which is a really good thing. Makes the car much more controllable for folks like me who aren't in any way used to that kind of power.
Appreciate 0