F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Vilamoura
proTUNING Freaks

03-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Vilamoura

Anybody been recently?

My wife's parents used to have an apartment there but got rid when they bought their place in Spain.

We used to go every year but haven't been for about 10.

Anyway they bought us a week there at the end of this month for our birthdays and I'm assuming much has changed in the 10 years.

What do people recommend, it won't be sight seeing and will be sans children so more of a relaxed drinking, restaurant affair?

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Was golfing there a couple of weeks ago. Been every year for the last 5. Hasn't changed much in that time.
Can't really help you though. We did, breakfast, golf, beer, dinner, beer, sleep, repeat. The marina is busy with bars and restaurants (a bit more pricey this year we noticed). Not sure what you'd do to entertain kids. The Mrs and I took ours there about 10yrs ago and did the usual water park stuff with them.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Was golfing there a couple of weeks ago. Been every year for the last 5. Hasn't changed much in that time.
Can't really help you though. We did, breakfast, golf, beer, dinner, beer, sleep, repeat. The marina is busy with bars and restaurants (a bit more pricey this year we noticed). Not sure what you'd do to entertain kids. The Mrs and I took ours there about 10yrs ago and did the usual water park stuff with them.
Sans kids, I'm going without.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Anybody been recently?

My wife's parents used to have an apartment there but got rid when they bought their place in Spain.

We used to go every year but haven't been for about 10.

Anyway they bought us a week there at the end of this month for our birthdays and I'm assuming much has changed in the 10 years.

What do people recommend, it won't be sight seeing and will be sans children so more of a relaxed drinking, restaurant affair?

I went 14 years ago and 4 years ago and nothing much changed in the ten years between my visits. I'm sure some of the names on the bars and restaurants around the marina will have changed, but for me, it's just walk round, see somewhere you like and go in.

Not a place I'd choose to go with wife at this time of year, will be mainly groups of men on golfing trips and not much else once you get to the end of March. Summer it's a bit more mixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

I go every year. It’s changed a lot in 10 years.
Best bars are around the marina 19th hole, Atlantis and Irish bar. Best restaurants (at reasonable prices) are back behind the Irish bar although there is a great Italian just along from the 19th hole. Bars will be busy and full of golfers in pastel colours from 8pm however they all seem to get pissed and leave around 11 - presumably due to early tee times.

The bar at the beach has just been extended into a big restaurant and there are still the sun beds on the beach but you have to pay or drink lots to get them comp.

Stay away from te bars near the Olympus hotel unless you want a hooker.

Great water park just outside the town, a trip to Albufera is worth it and there are loads of boat trips that can eat away at an afternoon or more.

Personally though I wouldn’t really recommend it for kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Just to hang it out there, sans kids means no kids according to my wife who 'says' she is fluent in French.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I think you should edit post one and replace "sans" with the word "without", it seems to be creating too much confusion.....

Edit. Ps. Sorry, post crossover.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
I think you should edit post one and replace "sans" with the word "without", it seems to be creating too much confusion.....

Edit. Ps. Sorry, post crossover.
Yeah it does
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

Went there last year for a few days golf. We found that the restaurants in Quarteira which is 15 mins walk were better/ more traditional Portuguese /cheaper than in Vilamoura.
Appreciate 0