E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP!! SICK and TIRED of problems with my E90

02-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
aranjha
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

HELP!! SICK and TIRED of problems with my E90

I love my car but I can't even enjoy it. Whenever I drive my car aggressively, (i.e. sudden acceleration, high speed) it seems like the engine is going to break down or something. I have no problem taking off like when a red light turns green and I floor it, but then when I take my foot off the accelerator the engine sounds horrible. It has a horrible loud winding down noise as the needle drops in RPM. But then this noise lasts for like a whole day because then even if I go 5 mph, whenever I take my foot off the acc. it makes the same noise and even more so when I turn like 90 degrees even at low speeds. I took it to the dealer but they say they can't find anything wrong. Trust me there's something SERIOUSLY worng. If ANYONE could please tell me how to fix this Id appreciate it because I'm seriously regretting buying this car if thats whats gonna happen - after all I bought it for the performance driving its supposed to offer. Anyone else have this problem.

And then the second problem that is REALLY annoying is that theres a ticking noise coming from the vents. But the god damn noise stops when I took it to the dealer. At low speeds theres like a vibration ticking noise. It exists at high blower speeds too but its less noticable because there's more airflow noise. And part of this problem is that when I go at higher speeds, I hear a whistling sound coming from I guess the vents and like gusts of wind sounds. GOD its soo annoying and sad. Sometimes I wish I would have got an IS350. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about please help me. I hope BMW NA reads this because my stupid dealer can'tr figure out crap.

Sorry for the long post guys. Im just so dissappointed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

sorry to hear about the noise bro! I havent had anything but pure bliss with mine. Try cranking up the radio
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

maybe you should have someone videotape it for you and show it to the service dept. Talk about annoying sounds- my 02 camry's driver side window freakin rattles all the time. I got pissed off one day and punched it. Didnt break it but it was driving me insane.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
aranjha
Private
Rep

trust me, im gonna try everything i possibly can to get it fixed but im hoping someone could relate to what im experiencing....or maybe im the only one with this problem, who knows..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
330Inewbie
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I also experience the low whistling wind noise, but it sounds more like it originates from the sunroof at high speeds, not the vents.
      02-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
aranjha
Private
Rep

I might try going to a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Which dealer are you going to?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

There are a couple of "service bulletins" on various noises that can be found here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793

I also know there have been a number of other posts about the sun roof wind noise problem.. Try the search function..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
aranjha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh
Which dealer are you going to?
Patrick

You have good experience with any others?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d

The thicking/whisltling noise may be caused by dry leaves that have entered the system somewhere. I haven't had the problem with my E91 but I've had a similar thing with my Alfa 147. Just trying to remove the leaves might helo...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranjha
And part of this problem is that when I go at higher speeds, I hear a whistling sound coming from I guess the vents and like gusts of wind sounds.
I heard this whistling sound at about 80mph coming from my vents during the 1st week I had the car but I haven't heard it since. Also around 80-85 - the wind noise does get a little loud but my radio is always on anyway so it doesn't bother me.
      02-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

the steptronic tranny/engine combo does have a turbine type whining noise, more pronounced if pushing the car in DS mode. this is heard during accelerating or decelerating.

this was discussed in threads some months ago, so if you can do a search, you may find some answers.

hope this helps.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
It has a horrible loud winding down noise as the needle drops in RPM. But then this noise lasts for like a whole day because then even if I go 5 mph, whenever I take my foot off the acc. it makes the same noise and even more so when I turn like 90 degrees even at low speeds.
Not sure about this one. Have you compared it to another car? Try suggesting that you take your service advisor for a drive so you can point out exactly what's bothering you.

Quote:
And then the second problem that is REALLY annoying is that theres a ticking noise coming from the vents. But the god damn noise stops when I took it to the dealer. At low speeds theres like a vibration ticking noise. It exists at high blower speeds too but its less noticable because there's more airflow noise.
What trim do you have? I have the aluminium trim and I get a ticking sound when the car is heating up. It usually goes away once the console is warm (usually 5-10mins). I can't remember what happens when I cool the car in summer, but my guess is that the same thing probably happens.

Quote:
And part of this problem is that when I go at higher speeds, I hear a whistling sound coming from I guess the vents and like gusts of wind sounds.
Do you have auto-recirculation turned on? If what you're describing is what I think it is, then I have exactly the same thing. As far as I can tell, it happens when the auto-recirc opens and closes the outside vents. Try turning it off (ie, no recirc lights are lit, or the continuous recirc is lit) and see what happens.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
aranjha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant
The thicking/whisltling noise may be caused by dry leaves that have entered the system somewhere. I haven't had the problem with my E91 but I've had a similar thing with my Alfa 147. Just trying to remove the leaves might helo...
Interesting...let me see if that helps...thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
aranjha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
What trim do you have?
I have the dark wood trim...but I know its something with the vents because it ticks faster when I increase the speed and slower when I decrease the blower. If I turn it off, it stops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
Do you have auto-recirculation turned on?
I've tried it both on and off, it still makes the sound. I think I'm going to end up taking it to a different dealer as soon as I get a chance. I go to Southern Illinois University and although I'm from Chicago the nearest BMW dealer is in Kentucky which sucks. Hopefully they might be able to catch something my dealer in Chicago couldn't.

Thanks for all your input so far, I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
I have the dark wood trim...but I know its something with the vents because it ticks faster when I increase the speed and slower when I decrease the blower. If I turn it off, it stops...
Ok so it's related to fan speed. As vant said, there's the possibility that something has found it's way in there. Take it to your dealer so they can have a look inside the ducts. Also check out the SIB's on this forum as well as here (requires some reading as all SIB's for all current models are listed) because I vaguely remember reading something about something similar, but I can't remember what it was exactly. Good luck.
How about the rest of suggestion for the recirc? Solve the 'gusting'?

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #17
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Try Knauz - they have outstanding service.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

i understand your frustration. many parts of my car started rattling after 2000 miles. first time i brought my car in to fix the dealer returned it to me saying they could not hear any of the noises. this tuesday i brought it again since the noises are more prominent (car now has close to 10K miles) and i just got a call this afternoon telling me that all but one of them were identified and resolved. i am picking it up tomorrow so i'll see how it is then.

i think i had the same ticking noise as you but it has since gone away. it wasn't so much the vent area for me but somewhere near the transmission tunnel..or the A/C controls. if was definitely the blower since it went away when i turned it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #19
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Patrick

You have good experience with any others?
Try Perillo, downtown.
I took my e46 that I didn't buy from them in to be serviced multiple time.
They always treated me like I bought it there.
A+

Good luck.
      02-23-2006, 03:42 AM   #20
aranjha
Private
Rep

Turned out there were dry leaves in the ducts. That solved that problem - thank you very much. I still have no idea about the winding noise though. It seems like it starts up when I have my wheels turned (like when exiting a parking lot). I accelerate and that starts the noise. Then the whole drive for the rest of the day I'll hear the same noise when I release my foot from the accelerator and the RPM drops. Its similar to the noise you get when you turn your steering wheel to lock position, only much louder and uglier. Its really embarrassing when I took my friend for a ride who has an IS350 and his car is as quiet as a mouse.

But thanks for the help on the ticking noise, it seems to be resolved now.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #21
cntlaw
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 330i E90 C55 AMG

Garage List
A possibility that portions of your exhaust were pressed upward and sinked into the inner bottom of the drive shaft. The surrounded heat insulatiion paper also went inside and parts of them touch some moving parts... Try to check if that noise only occurs when your car is at certain angle to the horizon. i.e. downhill / uphill. Of course, this is just a guess.
Take care.
BMW 2006 330i E90 Jet Black/Black Leathers/Aluminium, Steptronic Active Steering; MTech Aero Kit Carbon Fibre Splitters/Diffuser. Bilstein PSS9 Coilover, Rays VOLK Racing RE30 Formula Limited Edition 18" Pirelli Rosso; Project Mu 355mm Forged 4pot Caliper. HID:Osram D1S 6000K, PIAA 6500K White Ring, Philips Diamond Vision HB4 5000K, PIAA H490/H491 Super Bright 6500K LED Interior Lights. Chrome S.Wheel Cover, Rear Windows Sunshades.
Appreciate 0