BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #23
RinconHeat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
If BMW sells cars with all features included and awaiting subscription do you think it will add significant weight to the cars? It seems that we are always looking for ways to shave every kilo and I can't see that manufacturing cars with every option in place will help to achieve that end. Or is BMW just done with making agile, light cars altogether?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconHeat View Post
If BMW sells cars with all features included and awaiting subscription do you think it will add significant weight to the cars? It seems that we are always looking for ways to shave every kilo and I can't see that manufacturing cars with every option in place will help to achieve that end. Or is BMW just done with making agile, light cars altogether?
I think this is more for tech features, they'll put the cameras and lidars etc in all the cars and then you can pay for autonomous driving, speed trap recognition etc. Maybe upsell a better audio processing system on the speakers and amp you have or even sell you more colors for ambient lighting. I doubt they would think of mechanical things like heated or massaging seats as part of this. Think of how Tesla does it with their autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #25
RinconHeat
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
Quote:
I think this is more for tech features, they'll put the cameras and lidars etc in all the cars and then you can pay for autonomous driving, speed trap recognition etc. Maybe upsell a better audio processing system on the speakers and amp you have or even sell you more colors for ambient lighting. I doubt they would think of mechanical things like heated or massaging seats as part of this. Think of how Tesla does it with their autonomous driving.
Not to be argumentative, but wasn't heated/cooled seats one of the examples in discussion?
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
I think you guys are missing the point. They can build the cars with all the features on them, which is faster and cheaper than building to order, and then people can unlock whichever features they want, or cancel those they don’t. Someone in Minnesota find the perfect car in Florida except it doesn’t have heated seats? Click - now it does. Active Cruise? Got it.

Btw, this is how Tesla works. Perhaps you’ve heard of them? They seem to be doing ok with it.
oh i didn't miss the point.. this is a way for BMW to continue to suck money out of people even on the used market... instead of a used car buyer working with the dealer on a car and negotiating a price based on features that car already has they will need to enter into a subscription plan.. so it'll be base price of the used car + even more money...
      07-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #27
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
Quote:
Not to be argumentative, but wasn't heated/cooled seats one of the examples in discussion?
Yea, I'm just speculating so who knows, it just seems unlikely to me they're gonna put expensive mechanical parts in a car to turn on or off years later. Software on the other hand that relies on relatively inexpensive sensors or infrastructure already in the car is just pure incremental profit.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #28
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
I don't get it why some people think this is BMW milking its customers or, in other words, a kind of abuse from their side. Seat heating, for example, as far as I know, is an option you have to pay for anyway, so having the choice to activate it or even buying for shorter periods of time (just winter, for example), I think it's great. The same with other features.

I have a fully spec'ed up 3 series, and I had to choose every single option, and they all came with a price tag associated with them, so being able to try before buy and pay for periods I think is great.

Welcome to the subscription economy guys, that's how tech companies sell their stuff now, and BMW is a tech company that sell great cars, don't get confused about that.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).

Last edited by eddiehaug; 07-02-2020 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 3
willjames708.00
BMWGirlFL6232.50
JayFar101.00
      07-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #29
RinconHeat
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
I don't get it why some people think this is BMW milking its customers or, in other words, a kind of abuse from their side. Seat heating, for example, as far as I know, is an option you have to pay for anyway, so having the choice to activate it or even buying for shorter periods of time (just winter, for example), I think it's great. The same with other features.

I have a fully spec'ed up 3 series, and I had to choose every single option, and they all came with a price tag associated with them, so being able to try before buy and pay for periods I think is great.

Welcome to the subscription economy guys, that's how tech companies sell their stuff now, and BMW is a tech company that sells cars, don't get confused about that.
A tech company that sells cars? Whatever happened to the Ultimate Driving Machine? Everyone ok paying forever for what were once standard features? No sweat? Are you all so confident you can defeat their security? I'm really shocked that no one cares that they will continue to have a "car payment" despite paying cash for their vehicle. Furthermore, new customers who may have scrimped to buy their first used Bimmer are going to be saddled with an extra payment just to keep relevant. I can see the advantages as well but this is very thinly veiled gouging- and frankly crass and unbecoming of a luxury brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #30
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
A tech company that sells cars? Whatever happened to the Ultimate Driving Machine? Everyone ok paying forever for what were once standard features? No sweat? Are you all so confident you can defeat their security? I'm really shocked that no one cares that they will continue to have a "car payment" despite paying cash for their vehicle. Furthermore, new customers who may have scrimped to buy their first used Bimmer are going to be saddled with an extra payment just to keep relevant. I can see the advantages as well but this is very thinly veiled gouging- and frankly crass and unbecoming of a luxury brand.
Yes, a tech company that sells cars. Most companies today are a tech companies that sell some product, and BMW is transitioning into that direction as well. That transition started when they released their first car with iDrive 7, and what's happening now is just a natural evolution on that strategy.

I understand what you say about having to pay forever for features, and it's a fair concern. I imagine that for customers planning to keep their cars long-term, BMW will still offer to pay for the features up-front when buying the car, so whatever you buy later on is really because you decided it was an optional feature for you.

For people leasing cars, I think this model works great. You can reduce the monthly payment (or get a better one if it's a company car), and then add features as you go. I think it's just awesome.

Personally, the model doesn't bother me (maybe because I work in a tech company myself and I've been seeing this tendency across industries for a while now), but I understand some people may feel unpleased with this new sales strategy.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).

Last edited by eddiehaug; 07-02-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #31
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
I will not *purchase* a car with a subscription system like this for self-contained features, period. I understand the subscription economy, when there are constant updates needed (e.g. an app that needs to keep working on new Operating System versions) - but not for things like seat heaters. If I do not get CONSTANT upgrades in service, I won't pay a subscription for it. I will move to another manufacturer first. I will pay to keep an app updated, for network connectivity, and other things where the manufacturer has recurring costs.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #32
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
I'm excited about this announcement, but it sounds like this is primarily for iDrive 7. Is that everyone else's understanding as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #33
RinconHeat
Private
Rep

Garage List
Another question I have is when this goes into effect and I'm upgraded to the latest OS, should I expect a $1-2 thousand dollar invoice yearly for the features I already have in my M2C?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #34
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
I'm excited about this announcement, but it sounds like this is primarily for iDrive 7. Is that everyone else's understanding as well?
Yes, but I believe all of our G05 have iDrive7 so we should all be getting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #35
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
oh i didn't miss the point.. this is a way for BMW to continue to suck money out of people even on the used market... instead of a used car buyer working with the dealer on a car and negotiating a price based on features that car already has they will need to enter into a subscription plan.. so it'll be base price of the used car + even more money...
You're forgetting that the price of the car itself will be lower, and it'll take all the hassle out of the purchase. You won't need to go "find" a car somewhere. Pick your color, the price of the car is the price of the car, and you can activate whatever you want. The whole used car process will become like the new car process - it'll be easier, more convenient, and less costly.
Appreciate 3
BMWGirlFL6232.50
willjames708.00
msg61750.50
      07-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #36
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
Quote:
Yes, but I believe all of our G05 have iDrive7 so we should all be getting it.
My 2020 F33 still had IDrive 6, so it looks like I'm still not getting remote start
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #37
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

What about remote start on a 2020 G30?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #38
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
You're forgetting that the price of the car itself will be lower, and it'll take all the hassle out of the purchase. You won't need to go "find" a car somewhere. Pick your color, the price of the car is the price of the car, and you can activate whatever you want. The whole used car process will become like the new car process - it'll be easier, more convenient, and less costly.
You are dreaming if you think a luxury manufacturer is going to lower the price of a car
      07-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #39
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
What about remote start on a 2020 G30?
The way they describe the Apple key sounds like it will.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #40
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The way they describe the Apple key sounds like it will.
I don’t think so.

The NFC hardware required for the digital key is available for vehicles produced from July 2020.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:15 AM   #41
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
I initially got so excited when I read the overview about Apple CarKey being available in this "third quarter" update and took that to mean that the whole "July 2020" thing must've meant for cars that have it preinstalled...

... then I read the part where the "NFC hardware" required to make it work is only on July 2020 build cars and onwards. What rubbish.
Would of thought that hardware would of already been installed ,
Considering android uses it to open them already?
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #42
chpnsus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3 m40

Wow! I knew it was a matter of time after seeing BMW try to make CarPlay subscription based but then rolled back their decision on the 2020 x3.

At this point just make the whole car as a service. I'll pay when I need it and when I don't. Hell even get rid of the warranty since it's subscription based. Someone earlier mentioned "welcome to the subscription based economy" and I couldn't agree more we are headed that way. It comes down to companies wanting more money- same reason we are producing more and more in China. The general population is what BMW and other companies care about - not the smaller population of enthusiasts (anyone on this post).

Even if everyone on this site left BMW it wouldn't hurt them. Most people drive these cars for the badge and BMW knows that.

For those of you in the IT world, remember the days you could buy Microsoft Office, install it and be done? Now you have to get a subscription unless you have some enterprise volume. The IT pros know how to get around it but the general population just pays Microsoft.

Sorry for any spelling issues. Holding two toddlers while writing this.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #43
RinconHeat
Private
Rep

Garage List
I would imagine that for BMW to pull this off with maximum profit they will need to place electronic security measures to ensure that no one is stealing their tech. How will this affect installing modifications? Will BMW know to immediately void ones warrantee if they get a tune or new intakes, or even an exhaust? This is clearly an erosion of ownership and privacy.

It seems that some people are embracing the new model and I suspect these people must all lease. It does make sense in that context as you are just renting the car really. For owners, however, this could have devastating impacts on ones freedoms with ones property.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #44
mffarrell
Captain
Rep

Will the I7 lite customers have to take their cars to the dealer for the update? I have a 2020 M550i.
Appreciate 0