BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #23
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

I haven’t been in the model3 yet, but the model S was pretty bad fit and finish wise, for example obvious exposed screws... If you are used to german cars you will notice the downgrade. I think the 3 is better as they had time to improve. Remember that the Model S was their first ever real production car built from the ground up.

Overall I would still have a Tesla as like others have said, there isn’t any competiton to it yet. But you have to go in expecting some quality issues and reliability concerns, which if you are used to german cars isn’t anything new
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      06-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #24
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
This is fresh off the press:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/2...quality-survey

For current Tesla owners: what is perspective on this JD Power survey?
When you understand the methodology behind these rankings, you learn to take them with a grain of salt. For example, a software glitch and an engine failure would both count as a "problem within the first 90 days of ownership", and with nothing to quantify the severity of the problem, the rankings become fairly useless.

That said, it's clear that Tesla's QC process hasn't been up to snuff, though the negatives (like all negatives about any topic) are overemphasized, so it's tough to get an accurate read of the real rates of problems.

Though their methodology also has issues, Consumer Reports is the closest thing we have to accurate assessments, IMO, and the Model 3 is at least "average" in the reliability category, but is by far the highest in the customer satisfaction category in its segment.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #25
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I still dont get why a Tesla would be “unlike anything you’ve driven” after driving a lot of different cars. Outside of ev acceleration or giant iPad in the middle there is nothing different. Just silence.

So I really don’t get it. And I’ve driven all the Tesla’s. S, X and 3. Multiple times. It wears off quick. It’s a big, heavy, silent, quick car. It’s not a space ship. It’s not physics defying experience, its just a car.
And you're as welcome to your own opinion as anyone else is to theirs...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #26
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I test drove a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD w/ aero wheels. I went in with no expectations so I had quite a bit to unpack and reconcile after it was all said and done. I've driven too many cars in my lifetime and my experience in the Model 3 is at the top of the list. It was an experience unlike any other and I think that's what resonated with me most.
Cool.

I drove the Model 3 Performance expecting it to be quick, but NOT expecting it to be as refined as it is, nor did I realize just how much fun it would be to drive overall... I was obviously very impressed - brought my family for test drive number 2, and purchased soon afterwards. Have never looked back.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      06-27-2020, 12:47 AM   #27
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I still dont get why a Tesla would be “unlike anything you’ve driven” after driving a lot of different cars. Outside of ev acceleration or giant iPad in the middle there is nothing different. Just silence.

So I really don’t get it. And I’ve driven all the Tesla’s. S, X and 3. Multiple times. It wears off quick. It’s a big, heavy, silent, quick car. It’s not a space ship. It’s not physics defying experience, its just a car.
You answered your own question.

Driving an electric car is a much different experience than driving any other car. For better or worse that's subjective, but between acceleration, silence and one pedal driving... it is indeed "unlike anything you've ever driven" (assuming you've never driven and electric car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
I haven’t been in the model3 yet, but the model S was pretty bad fit and finish wise, for example obvious exposed screws... If you are used to german cars you will notice the downgrade. I think the 3 is better as they had time to improve. Remember that the Model S was their first ever real production car built from the ground up.

Overall I would still have a Tesla as like others have said, there isn’t any competiton to it yet. But you have to go in expecting some quality issues and reliability concerns, which if you are used to german cars isn’t anything new
Lot's of things I don't like about Tesla, but honestly I am impressed with my Model 3. If you are not an enthusiast who's into panel gaps and what not you would find no issues with the car. Now mine is used so maybe the previous owner had any larger issues dealt with, but my friend bought his new and had no issues.

Also keep in mind Tesla was founded 17 years ago and their first car released like 12 years ago. I can't think of any of the large automakers that isn't 100+ years old. So even with their issues I think it's pretty amazing what they have achieved in such short time.

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 06-27-2020 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0