BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

08-22-2023, 04:04 PM   #1
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Battery question

Looking to cut power to iDrive controller on grandson’s 2020 M235ix for about 30 minutes. Best to disconnect neg. cable on battery? Are there one or two batteries on this model? And location (locations) of battery?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 11:47 PM   #2
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

I’m not sure about your model but look in the trunk, lift up the trunk floor and you should see a battery there. If you disconnect that and the battery under the hood the car will have no power
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:08 AM   #3
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Looking to cut power to iDrive controller on grandson’s 2020 M235ix for about 30 minutes. Best to disconnect neg. cable on battery? Are there one or two batteries on this model? And location (locations) of battery?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Did you find the locations of the battery/batteries? I need to disconnect mine briefly to change my steering wheel airbag and have the same question as you. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:28 AM   #4
YogiPL
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F44 220i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombrunskill View Post
Did you find the locations of the battery/batteries? I need to disconnect mine briefly to change my steering wheel airbag and have the same question as you. Cheers.
The main battery is under the hood, behind the engine on the right side - look for a red cap, the battery is under that plastic cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:29 AM   #5
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPL View Post
The main battery is under the hood, behind the engine on the right side - look for a red cap, the battery is under that plastic cover.
Really? I’ve just phoned my local bmw dealership a moment ago and they told me it’s in the boot??? Now I’m really confused
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
YogiPL
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Really? I’ve just phoned my local bmw dealership a moment ago and they told me it’s in the boot??? Now I’m really confused
See the attachment, if you open that red cap (that's the link to the positive terminal) you can just about see it underneath.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:38 AM   #7
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Yes I see, where can you get access to the negative terminal mate do you know
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #8
YogiPL
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Yes I see, where can you get access to the negative terminal mate do you know
Accessing it is pretty easy (here's a picture from my car), but to disconnect it you would need to remove those plastic covers I bet - never tried it myself, I just used it to connect my battery maintainer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 07:54 AM   #9
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Actually removing the battery is a major task. I watched the BMW Assist guy swap in a new battery on my F40 M135iX (original failed in ~20 months) and it involved removing 8 significant pieces from the engine compartment, plus numerous nuts & bolts. Having seen it done I wouldn't feel relaxed about removing, let alone putting it all back.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #10
Tombrunskill
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPL View Post
Accessing it is pretty easy (here's a picture from my car), but to disconnect it you would need to remove those plastic covers I bet - never tried it myself, I just used it to connect my battery maintainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjn View Post
Actually removing the battery is a major task. I watched the BMW Assist guy swap in a new battery on my F40 M135iX (original failed in ~20 months) and it involved removing 8 significant pieces from the engine compartment, plus numerous nuts & bolts. Having seen it done I wouldn't feel relaxed about removing, let alone putting it all back.
I just need to briefly disconnect the negative terminal to exchange the steering wheel airbag hopefully it’s not too much of a hassle
Appreciate 0