BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-31-2022, 03:26 PM   #5985
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Murf, Sedan - this news just broke: https://apple.news/AG5ge82oERxuQC8gN-35fMw

Headline: B.C. to decriminalize possession of small amounts of ‘hard’ drugs such as cocaine, fentanyl and heroin

Effective Jan. 31, 2023, British Columbians 18 and older will be able to carry up to a cumulative total of 2.5 grams of these illicit substances without the risk of arrest or criminal charges. Police are not to confiscate the drugs, and there is no requirement that people found to be in possession seek treatment. The production, trafficking and exportation of these drugs will remain illegal.

Thoughts as cops?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25210.00
      05-31-2022, 03:29 PM   #5986
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post

Thoughts as cops?
All of these governments are complicit in ruining the fabric of society. Decriminalization of hard drugs does nothing but further erode communities and increase crime. They might as well be saying, based on their action(s) or inaction(s), "Do whatever the fuck you want. There are no consequences."
Appreciate 7
paquet629.50
BMWGUYinCO4125.00
jmack550.00
iminhell13928.50
chowser512035.50
DYoung32.00
      05-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #5987
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your quick response. I don’t claim to understand the reasoning, but this seems to be one of those “settlements” that don’t seem to make sense.
To me - Decriminalizing the drugs themselves (albeit by quantity) just seems to remove any fear of punishment.
The article goes in to say that “ production, trafficking and exportation of these drugs will remain illegal” - so if drugs are making their way to the end users, the justice system (laws, enforcement, punishment, etc) in itself has failed anyway.

Drug dependence/ addiction is a mental health issue too.
I’ve often thought that perhaps mental asylums or sanitariums need to return in a “better” capacity (Since the first thought that often comes to mind of such institutions is a hell hole of abuse inflicted by sadistic employees)
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25210.00
      05-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #5988
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
All of these governments are complicit in ruining the fabric of society. Decriminalization of hard drugs does nothing but further erode communities and increase crime. They might as well be saying, based on their action(s) or inaction(s), "Do whatever the fuck you want. There are no consequences."
This is basically the government admitting failure but clothing it in a “oh we care about the poor junkies”.. The drugs are still illegally procured and still end up in the “market”

I recall reading Murf mentioning how the free injection sites mess up municipalities. There was an article a few months ago (I can’t recall exactly where) that linked the property market in British Columbia to underground drugs

Edit: makes me wonder what do the cops In BC think about this law
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25210.00
      05-31-2022, 03:40 PM   #5989
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Question, but is jail over-crowding playing a factor here in these law changes? I'm no expert on the subject, but if it's a matter of over-crowding existing jails based on the severity of the crime, while this isn't ideal it may be a matter of becoming the best of the worst case scenarios.

Otherwise, I can't fathom why the decision to decriminalize possession of hard drugs - regardless of the amount.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25210.00
      05-31-2022, 03:49 PM   #5990
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Question, but is jail over-crowding playing a factor here in these law changes? I'm no expert on the subject, but if it's a matter of over-crowding existing jails based on the severity of the crime, while this isn't ideal it may be a matter of becoming the best of the worst case scenarios.

Otherwise, I can't fathom why the decision to decriminalize possession of hard drugs - regardless of the amount.
We are constantly releasing people from our jails. Furthermore, inmates have more rights while incarcerated than those who are free.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #5991
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/2022-0...t-restrictions

Quote:
“We have seen a significant change in the environment out there where the word is out ... about this restriction,” Strachan said.

As an example, Strachan pointed to an incident in March in Redmond, Washington when a driver with a suspended license called 911 and cited House Bill 1054 to explain why they were refusing to stop for an officer who was behind them.

“I’m driving suspended, he’s not going to get me,” the driver said in a recording of the 911 call obtained from the Redmond police department. “It’s a violation of 1054. He’s not allowed to chase me. You need to tell them to call it off.”
      05-31-2022, 04:56 PM   #5992
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/2022-0...t-restrictions

Quote:
"We have seen a significant change in the environment out there where the word is out ... about this restriction," Strachan said.

As an example, Strachan pointed to an incident in March in Redmond, Washington when a driver with a suspended license called 911 and cited House Bill 1054 to explain why they were refusing to stop for an officer who was behind them.

"I'm driving suspended, he's not going to get me," the driver said in a recording of the 911 call obtained from the Redmond police department. "It's a violation of 1054. He's not allowed to chase me. You need to tell them to call it off."
I'm not surprised bro. Criminals know loopholes. I can arrest a person and they can tell me from A-to-Z what's going to happen and how soon they'll be out…..

….and they are absolutely correct.
Appreciate 3
paquet629.50
vreihen1615490.00
      05-31-2022, 06:44 PM   #5993
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
...from experience for being arrested for the same thing last month...and the month before that?????
Sedan_Clan25210.00
      05-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #5994
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
...from experience for being arrested for the same thing last month...and the month before that?????
Basically!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 09:30 PM   #5995
Jklotz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post

Headline: B.C. to decriminalize possession of small amounts of ‘hard’ drugs such as cocaine, fentanyl and heroin

Effective Jan. 31, 2023, British Columbians 18 and older will be able to carry up to a cumulative total of 2.5 grams of these illicit substances without the risk of arrest or criminal charges. Police are not to confiscate the drugs, and there is no requirement that people found to be in possession seek treatment. The production, trafficking and exportation of these drugs will remain illegal.

Thoughts as cops?
These drug laws just confound me. I mean, you have have it, you can use it, no problem. But you can't make it, buy it, sell it or transport it. It's crazy if you ask me.

I'm, generally speaking, fairly liberal about some things, but when it comes to cocaine, fentanyl and heroin (and the like), these are things that can kill people and are highly addictive. IMHO, that law revision is against the best interest of the people, user or not. I don't see that ending well.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25210.00
paquet629.50
      06-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #5996
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I read through this topic from time to time. I'd just like to say that I wish there was a wider reach to this type of police/public interaction. It really looks like it's good for the mental health of both. The officer can vent with some anonymity and so can the public.

Thank you.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25210.00
paquet629.50
      06-01-2022, 05:31 PM   #5997
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
337 days to go for me.
Our agency is basically only arrest for felonies or DV misdemeanors, everyone else gets a personal bond or citation.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25210.00
vreihen1615490.00
      06-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #5998
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
337 days to go for me.
Our agency is basically only arrest for felonies or DV misdemeanors, everyone else gets a personal bond or citation.
That's more or less where we are. Our state just reduced what constitutes a robbery, so what was previously deemed a robbery is now just petty/grand theft.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #5999
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I read through this topic from time to time. I'd just like to say that I wish there was a wider reach to this type of police/public interaction. It really looks like it's good for the mental health of both. The officer can vent with some anonymity and so can the public.

Thank you.
It's hard(er) to bridge this gap when you're currently serving/active, but easier once you've retired or have left the field; you can speak freely and you don't represent any department.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #6000
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Quote:

We are constantly releasing people from our jails. Furthermore, inmates have more rights while incarcerated than those who are free.
Part of the problem is that our prisons focus too much on retribution and not enough on rehabilitation. We are, not in a good way, a gross outlier when it comes to recidivism and that is because of approach to incarceration. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for the incarcerated, but from a strictly economical standpoint, we could do better with better prison policies. What we do too often is create better an more violent criminals with little chance of becoming productive citizens. Sure, it feels great to give somebody a life sentence under three strikes for stealing a piece of pizza, but maybe that's not in anyone's best interest. I know lots of people take deep offense when criminals learn life skills and get their GEDs behind bars when they could be sharpening shanks, but the economics of all of this is really inverted.

I'm not talking about creating a day spa for people that have done awful things, I'm talking about taking the time to understand the consequences of our vengeful indifference and maybe approaching incarceration policy from an evidence based approach that might actually be broadly beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 06:44 PM   #6001
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Part of the problem is that our prisons focus too much on retribution and not enough on rehabilitation. We are, not in a good way, a gross outlier when it comes to recidivism and that is because of approach to incarceration. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for the incarcerated, but from a strictly economical standpoint, we could do better with better prison policies. What we do too often is create better an more violent criminals with little chance of becoming productive citizens. Sure, it feels great to give somebody a life sentence under three strikes for stealing a piece of pizza, but maybe that's not in anyone's best interest. I know lots of people take deep offense when criminals learn life skills and get their GEDs behind bars when they could be sharpening shanks, but the economics of all of this is really inverted.

I'm not talking about creating a day spa for people that have done awful things, I'm talking about taking the time to understand the consequences of our vengeful indifference and maybe approaching incarceration policy from an evidence based approach that might actually be broadly beneficial.
Way too much ridiculously silly rhetoric here. Have you ever worked in a jail or prison? Are you familiar with the programs offered in those facilities? How much experience do you personally have dealing with inmates? The answer to those questions will reveal to me whether or not I can have a serious discussion with you about what is realistic reform and what is just virtue signaling platitudes. I've spent years working in that environment. Very few of those people can be reformed.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #6002
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.
It's hard(er) to bridge this gap when you're currently serving/active, but easier once you've retired or have left the field; you can speak freely and you don't represent any department.
It's ok Brian, we won't reveal that you work for Shasta PD
iminhell13928.50
      06-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #6003
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #6004
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

https://www.tiktok.com/@stephenunlea...Ulxt4&_r=1

I think he just about covered every angle.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #6005
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

"... only in the last 20 years have we had mass shootings ..."

I know a lot of Natives that would argue against that statement.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:25 AM   #6006
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
"... only in the last 20 years have we had mass shootings ..."

I know a lot of Natives that would argue against that statement.
In context he is spot on.
Appreciate 1