BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

01-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #1
rrgerman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 228i xDrive

Question New member / owner - Digital Key?

Hi there!

New owner here.

I recently purchased a 2020 228i xDrive and it came with a black NFC keycard. I was able to link it to the car so I can open/close the doors and even drive the car without having the key fob on me.

I was trying to use my phone as a "digital key" to pretty much do the same thing I can do with the NFC card, however, I don't see the option to setup the digital key on MyBMW app.

If I go to my iDrive door/key settings, I can see the NFC card and then if I read under "Reset Digital Key" it says "All Digital Keys for this vehicle have been removed. The BMW Digital Key function is reset. To use the function again, please contact your service center". - I am not sure if I messed up by resetting this feature but I just wanted to make sure the previous owner(s) didn't have a digital key and honestly I didn't check the MyBMW app before I did this to see if I had the setup option there or not.

I called the 800 number and one "genius" said that my car is not compatible, while another one told me that I should have the option on the app. So....

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy message.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 02:12 PM   #2
10us
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330

Garage List
2023 330i  [0.00]
If your car has the option, you should be able to activate the digital key with both keys inside the car/ using the MyBMW app….

Digital Key on your celphone only works with an iPhone.

• You need the BMW Teleservices (SA 6AE) equipment.
• BMW Comfort Access (SA 322) is required for models produced after summer 2020.
• For models produced after the end of 2021, only BMW Digital Key (SA 3DK) is required.
• Almost all BMW models produced since the end of July 2020 are suitable. Availability varies by country.
• Your My BMW App shows you whether your BMW is suitable. If the 'BMW Digital Key' function can be selected, your BMW is suitable.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 04:37 PM   #3
rrgerman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10us View Post
If your car has the option, you should be able to activate the digital key with both keys inside the car/ using the MyBMW app….

Digital Key on your celphone only works with an iPhone.

• You need the BMW Teleservices (SA 6AE) equipment.
• BMW Comfort Access (SA 322) is required for models produced after summer 2020.
• For models produced after the end of 2021, only BMW Digital Key (SA 3DK) is required.
• Almost all BMW models produced since the end of July 2020 are suitable. Availability varies by country.
• Your My BMW App shows you whether your BMW is suitable. If the 'BMW Digital Key' function can be selected, your BMW is suitable.
Thanks for the reply! My car has production date 02/20 so I guess I can only use the NFC card and not my phone
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:35 PM   #4
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Since you have the card key for your car...
I just purchased a 2021 228i xDrive GC, but a card key was not provided...I am assuming the first owner did not relinquish the card key that was provided with the car.
Do you know if your card key has a subscription period, and you need to eventually renew the subscription after a trial period? I have read that the card key function is by subscription, so before I try to get a card key, I want to find out about the subscription...true or not?
Appreciate 0