BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

09-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Why I Ordered A BMW M235i.

My current vehicle is a 2018 BMW 440ix coupe. I leased it three years ago and have enjoyed driving it every day since. I was excited when I learned that the new 4 series coupe would be release about the time my current four series lease would be expiring. I browsed the web anxiously awaiting any information that I could obtain about it. Then they released the pictures. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the front grille. I was depressed since I knew I could never place that monstrosity in my garage. I addition to the grille, the new 4 series grew in size, weight and expense. Now what to do! Unlike many other forum members who say they are switching to another brand, I did not want to give up on BMW. I was looking for a BMW that was close to the dimensions of my current vehicle. If the new 2 series coupe was available it would have been on my radar. I already have a BMW X 3 in the family so I did not need another SUV. I preferred a two door coupe but I knew, quite early on, that was not to be. I read everything about the M235i that I could find, including all the video reviews, customer reviews and forum opinions. I noticed very early on that most of the forum reviews were negative. People claimed that it was not a “true BMW” because it was not rear wheel biased. As long as it was X drive that did not matter to me. They said it looked like a Honda or Chevy from the side. I could see a resemblance but that did not make it unattractive. They said the rear was ugly. I do say that the proportions are different but far more attractive then the rear ends of the X 4 and X6. Some of these options came from people who actually like the grille on the new 4 series! So I decided to go to the dealer and check one out for myself. My first impression was that looking at the vehicle from the front it was all BMW unlike the new 4 series. The side view was fine (I wish it had only two doors) but the roof line was coupe like in nature. The more I looked at the rear the more it grew on me. The interior was very well appointed and the options list more than suited my needs. Although I was not thrilled about a 4 cylinder engine (coming from a six cylinder) I decided to take it for a test drive. I was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration. There was no noticeable front wheel drive torque steer. The braking was good and it handled well. When I returned home I compared the specs to my current 4 series since I wanted something similar. The exterior and interior dimensions were very close. The horse power was only 19 less. The zero to sixty times was one tenth of a second less and the weight was over 200 pounds less. So I went to the configurator and built one. I check the box for most of the options and it came in at slightly less than $54,000. While that seemed a little high I did splurge. I decide to build the closest 3 series that I could find (not that I really like the look of the 3 series) and it came out to be almost $3,000 more. The 3 series that I really would want to order was almost $10,000 more and the new 4 series coupe was almost $20,000 more. I keep going to numerous dealers to look at the vehicle over the next few months and I came upon a M235i in Storm Bay metallic. I loved that color and noticed that the new 4 series and 3 series did not offer that color. I read a thread here from a dealer from Cincinnati that compared the M235i and the M340i and after looking at those pictures my mind was made up to go with the M235i. My order was place on August 4, 2021 and I have been anxiously tracking its progress every day.
Appreciate 4
Avian44.00
MrChang36.00
A6bullet336.00
      09-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
SimonCW
Private
Rep
Drives: F44 M235i XDrive Gran Coupe

Nice, interesting write up!

I too have a M235i GC on order, with a ETA delivery date of week 49. I guessing you don't have to wait that long in the US/Canada?

I too looked at the M340i but it was too big of a car for my needs and like you I read all the reviews and watch the videos on the M235i and still couldn't make up my mind. Until I when to the dealer and actually saw one in person and It looks so much better.

I saw a 1 series in Storm Bay and I knew that was my next colour. I loved how it as a little blue tint in the sun.
      09-06-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
digi_T
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 220i

Interesting read, you won’t be disappointed with Storm Bay - every time I see my 218i GC in the driveway it makes me smile. I can also say I’ve never had a car that turns som many heads. Every time I’ve driven it I’ve noticed people stopping to look, maybe because they hate it but I think it’s because it’s looks amazing!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

You'll love it. This platform is fantastic. Especially when you extract the sound from that engine and fit an exhaust 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

You are going to love it! I absolutely loved my F10 528i - purchased new back in 2011 and put over 75K miles on it before selling it. Since the warranty programs changed from 4ys/50K, i've become a bigger fan of leasing. Since I do not need the space and room of a 5er (and I will always love the look of the F10 series), wanted to look at other options int he lineup. There is something more aggressive and sporty in the M Sport version of this car that does it for me - the hood lines, the light clusters and the glorious sound. Welcome to the 2er family!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:53 AM   #6
Davin21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti Q60RS

This will be my first BMW. I never had anything against BMW, just waiting for the tech to catch up in their cars. With the new cockpit pro I feel that has happened. I traded in my Mercedes C300 for the Infiniti Q60 RS as I wanted something more fun to drive. Now that my Q60 RS is reaching the 50K mile mark and almost out of warranty I am ready for something new. I wanted something just as fun to drive. I have looked at many cars, Lexus RC, Toyota Supra, BMW Z4, etc., that are similar in performance. I wanted something a little more practical when it came to gas mileage and cargo capacity. After reading up and watching lots of videos on the BMW M235i I decided to test drive one. I'll admit I was surprised. This car is fun. I know there is a lot of hate due to the styling and it not being rear wheel drive. Honestly I am from up north and front or four wheel drive is all I know. The 0-60 acceleration is almost the exact same as my Q60 RS. Dimensions are also very similar, however cargo capacity is much better. In the M235i still feel like I am in a coupe. The rear is still growing on me. I went to 3 dealers before I found one that was really willing to work with me. It was hard finding a dealer to give me more than 30K for a 2018 Infiniti Q60RS with 50K miles on it. It does need at least a few thousand in maintenance, tires, rotors, and brake pads. This is all normal and I have no major complaints about the Q60RS. Turns out the dealer is one of the top dealers in the state. I have am already approved for financing the M235i. I asked if they could give me 2 weeks to see if I can come up with more than 5K down. I am rolling over 15K negative equity so if I can pay half that off up front it would be great and make the payments about the same as I am paying now. Also, I have M235i's choose from. The mineral grey has almost every single option except driving assistance package. The alpine white has every single option (including floating wheel caps, lol) except it does not have the performance front seats. They both have the HUD, Moonroof, M performance package, and shadowline package. The Driving Assistance Package might make the alpine white the car for me as I love the features it provides. Payment wise, the difference is less than $5 per month. Comfort wise, I do think this is a step down from my Q60 RS and C300, as the center and door armrests are harder. But I understand this car is not in the same class. Performance wise this car delivers. The steering actually reminds me most of my RSX Type-S, agile and precise. I have driven a BMW 330 X Drive, and I still like the M235i better in terms of styling and driving. The M235i feels like a racing go kart on steroids (probably because it's shared MINI platform) and this car stays planted. I love the exhaust note on this car. Sadly, something that was missing from my Q60RS that cost 10K more. I have already been doing my research and with a little tuning the M235i can easily put out another 50HP and 40 pd ft of Torque. I will also throw on some better tires on my second set for better road grip. Making my M235i a little beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #7
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin21 View Post
This will be my first BMW. I never had anything against BMW, just waiting for the tech to catch up in their cars. With the new cockpit pro I feel that has happened. I traded in my Mercedes C300 for the Infiniti Q60 RS as I wanted something more fun to drive. Now that my Q60 RS is reaching the 50K mile mark and almost out of warranty I am ready for something new. I wanted something just as fun to drive. I have looked at many cars, Lexus RC, Toyota Supra, BMW Z4, etc., that are similar in performance. I wanted something a little more practical when it came to gas mileage and cargo capacity. After reading up and watching lots of videos on the BMW M235i I decided to test drive one. I'll admit I was surprised. This car is fun. I know there is a lot of hate due to the styling and it not being rear wheel drive. Honestly I am from up north and front or four wheel drive is all I know. The 0-60 acceleration is almost the exact same as my Q60 RS. Dimensions are also very similar, however cargo capacity is much better. In the M235i still feel like I am in a coupe. The rear is still growing on me. I went to 3 dealers before I found one that was really willing to work with me. It was hard finding a dealer to give me more than 30K for a 2018 Infiniti Q60RS with 50K miles on it. It does need at least a few thousand in maintenance, tires, rotors, and brake pads. This is all normal and I have no major complaints about the Q60RS. Turns out the dealer is one of the top dealers in the state. I have am already approved for financing the M235i. I asked if they could give me 2 weeks to see if I can come up with more than 5K down. I am rolling over 15K negative equity so if I can pay half that off up front it would be great and make the payments about the same as I am paying now. Also, I have M235i's choose from. The mineral grey has almost every single option except driving assistance package. The alpine white has every single option (including floating wheel caps, lol) except it does not have the performance front seats. They both have the HUD, Moonroof, M performance package, and shadowline package. The Driving Assistance Package might make the alpine white the car for me as I love the features it provides. Payment wise, the difference is less than $5 per month. Comfort wise, I do think this is a step down from my Q60 RS and C300, as the center and door armrests are harder. But I understand this car is not in the same class. Performance wise this car delivers. The steering actually reminds me most of my RSX Type-S, agile and precise. I have driven a BMW 330 X Drive, and I still like the M235i better in terms of styling and driving. The M235i feels like a racing go kart on steroids (probably because it's shared MINI platform) and this car stays planted. I love the exhaust note on this car. Sadly, something that was missing from my Q60RS that cost 10K more. I have already been doing my research and with a little tuning the M235i can easily put out another 50HP and 40 pd ft of Torque. I will also throw on some better tires on my second set for better road grip. Making my M235i a little beast.
You will not be disappointed with the M235i. I am loving mine. If it were me, I would get the white one with the driver assistance package.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:35 AM   #8
CSD979967
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Gran Coupe

You won't regret it. Moved through plenty cars so far and consistently get bored within the first year of it, looking at what I should get next.

This just ain't the sort of car you will get bored of, it's underrated 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #9
4sfed4
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M235Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
If it were me, I would get the white one with the driver assistance package.
Yeah.....I scoured around for a few weeks to find a good lease deal on one and, with white as the first color choice, managed to find one. The white with the Magma M Sport seats and blue calipers is a nice color combination IMO.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
PeteTheMailman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 240

Garage List
2021 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I asked if they could give me 2 weeks to see if I can come up with more than 5K down. I am rolling over 15K negative equity so if I can pay half that off up front it would be great
I hate to be that guy and it is your money, but rolling over that much seems crazy to me. I use to do it, but usually a few thousand. I'm happier now with going in and getting money for trade instead of owing. Good luck with your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #11
Davin21
Enlisted Member
Rep

I like to burn money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteTheMailman View Post
I hate to be that guy and it is your money, but rolling over that much seems crazy to me. I use to do it, but usually a few thousand. I'm happier now with going in and getting money for trade instead of owing. Good luck with your purchase!
It's only money. Can always make more of it. This be will 3rd time rolling over negative equity. Yes, I am crazy. I like that. I am actually paying off half of it up front, which is pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #12
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Its your money, but reconsider throwing away so much $$$ trading in the Q50 RS. 15k neg equity is beyond HUGE. Did you purchase the Q50 or lease? I've rolled over neggity eggity and i've sworn myself to stop that cycle, it only gets worse.... imagine you roll it over into the m235 and you have an accident, payoff on the car will be astronomical and i doubt gap insurance would cover all the neggity eggity (even if you put 5k down) and then you'd be in a real pickle.... or 6 months down the road you fall out of love with the m235i and decide to trade it in, at which point that 10k neggity eggity (if you put down 5k) will become 20k.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #13
Davin21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Picked up my new ride today.

Mods soon to come. First up, window tint.

https://ibb.co/mFTdyNv
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:18 PM   #14
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Quote:
Its your money, but reconsider throwing away so much $$$ trading in the Q50 RS. 15k neg equity is beyond HUGE. Did you purchase the Q50 or lease? I've rolled over neggity eggity and i've sworn myself to stop that cycle, it only gets worse.... imagine you roll it over into the m235 and you have an accident, payoff on the car will be astronomical and i doubt gap insurance would cover all the neggity eggity (even if you put 5k down) and then you'd be in a real pickle.... or 6 months down the road you fall out of love with the m235i and decide to trade it in, at which point that 10k neggity eggity (if you put down 5k) will become 20k.
Pissing directly into the wind trying to talk sense mate.

He won't listen to ye no matter how much yer trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #15
Davin21
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD979967 View Post

I don't try to tell anyone else how to spend their money. Do what makes you happy. What makes you happy might not always make sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #16
CSD979967
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD979967 View Post

I don't try to tell anyone else how to spend their money. Do what makes you happy. What makes you happy might not always make sense.
Enjoy the new car bud, just be careful ya mad man hahahaha
Appreciate 1
Davin2123.00